There are numerous reasons for tumors in fish and tumors are by themselves not to be considered as diseases or even negative even though they can have negative esthetical effects on the fish that gets them. This does however not mean that a tumor can't be a problem; they can be signs of very dangerous diseases. It just means that tumors aren't necessary a problem or a sign thereof. Tumours can for instance be caused by the thing most of us think about when we hear the word tumour – cancer. Cancer aren't common in most tropical aquarium fish as they are relatively short lived and cancer only rarely have time to develop and become a problem before the fish dies of age. This does however not mean that it never happens. Cancer is more likely and can be a bigger problem in more long living fish species. Sharks don't get cancer and you can therefore rule out cancer if one of your (true) sharks develops a tumor. Some researchers actually hope that sharks will reveal the secret to preventing and curing cancer in humans as well.
Tumors in fish can also be due to virus that has infected the fish. The bulk of all tumors found in fish are however result of genetic traits in that fish and hence not dangerous or a sign of problem. It is possible to surgical remove tumors that are unattractive or that causes problems such for the fish, such as problems eating. You will need a hospital tank for recovery, a scalpel, antibiotics and anaesthesia if you want to try this. I will however not write more about it in this text and I recommend that you obtain more information before trying it, or even better – hire someone with experience to do it for you. I would also recommend that you check the local rules surrounding the keeping of fish and animal cruelty to see if you are allowed to perform such operations yourself in the area you live in.
Didn't find the info you were looking for? Register for free and ask your question in our Aquarium forum !
Our knowledgeable staff usually responds to any question within 24 hours
- Summary of the fish disease argulus
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.
Buying Healthy fish
- An article about how to avoid diseases by buying healthy fish
Common fish diseases.
- An introduction to the more common fish diseases your fish might get.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Chilodonella.
- Information on diagnosing and treating constipation in fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating costia.
Danger Signs With Your Fishes
- How to recognise the the existence of ill health in a fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the dreaded dropsy.
- Information on diagnosing and treating ergasilus
- Information on diagnosing and treating eye problems in fish.
- How to examine dead fish for evidence of external parasites or internal problems.
- Causes and symptoms of fish TB. Mycobacterium marinum. Possible treatment. There is some danger to humans when servicing
- Information on flukes and how to trat flukes.
Fungus in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating fungis in fish.
Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.Natural methods to cure ich
Glugea and Henneguya
- Information on diagnosing and curing glugea and henneguya.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hexamita.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hole in the head.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Ichthyosporidium.
Injuries in fish
- Information on how to care for injured fish
Leeches in aquariums
- How to prevent and control leeches in your aquarium.
- Information on diagnosing and treating lymphocystis.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the saltwater disease "marine velvet".
- Information on diagnosing and treating nematodes.
Neon Tetra Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating neon tetra disease.
Parasites and Similar Problem Organisms
- Various fish parasites, some normally free-swimming organisms, and various species of algae can become a problem.
- An article about how you can prevent diseases among your fish.
- An introduction to Quarantine Aquariums.
Red Pest Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating red pest.
- Information on diagnosing scale protrusion and how to treat it.
- Information on the different causes of swim bladder problems and how the problem can be treated.
Tail & Fin Rot
- Information on diagnosing and treating tail an fin rot.
- Summary of treating fish disease argulus
Treating White Spot Disease
- Symptoms of Ich, its life cycle, and treatments using either malachite green or aquarium salt.
- An introduction to the art of treating fish that suffers from a disease.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Uronema marinum.
- Information on diagnosing and treating velvet