Lymphocystis is a non lethal virus disease that can infect most aquarium fish. The disease is rare and most aquarist will never have any problems with it. The disease is caused by a virus and can only infect your fish if it is introduced to your aquarium. The risk of introducing this virus as well as other diseases can be reduced by keeping new fish in quarantine for a few weeks before adding them to the general population. It is also recommended to never add waters from other aquariums to your aquarium as this can introduce disease if you are unlucky. The Lymphocystis virus and other fish diseases can also be introduced with live food and avoiding feeding live food or only feeding home cultivated live food can therefore further reduce the risk of Lymphocystis and other diseases.
The Lymphocystis virus causes small white swellings on fins and bodies of infected fish. There is no cure for this disease but most fish recover from the disease by themselves. This makes Lymphocystis one of the least serious diseases that your fish can be infected by. Your main concern if you discover Lymphocystis in your aquarium should be containment as there is no cure. Move all sick fish to recuperation/hospital tanks. Keep the fish there until they have recovered 100%. It is true that the disease usually isn't fatal and that the fish usually recover but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to contain the disease as the temporarily lowered health status of the infected fish can open the door for other more dangerous diseases.
Didn't find the info you were looking for? Register for free and ask your question in our Aquarium forum !
Our knowledgeable staff usually responds to any question within 24 hours
- Summary of the fish disease argulus
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.
Buying Healthy fish
- An article about how to avoid diseases by buying healthy fish
Common fish diseases.
- An introduction to the more common fish diseases your fish might get.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Chilodonella.
- Information on diagnosing and treating constipation in fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating costia.
Danger Signs With Your Fishes
- How to recognise the the existence of ill health in a fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the dreaded dropsy.
- Information on diagnosing and treating ergasilus
- Information on diagnosing and treating eye problems in fish.
- How to examine dead fish for evidence of external parasites or internal problems.
- Causes and symptoms of fish TB. Mycobacterium marinum. Possible treatment. There is some danger to humans when servicing
- Information on flukes and how to trat flukes.
Fungus in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating fungis in fish.
Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.Natural methods to cure ich
Glugea and Henneguya
- Information on diagnosing and curing glugea and henneguya.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hexamita.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hole in the head.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Ichthyosporidium.
Injuries in fish
- Information on how to care for injured fish
Leeches in aquariums
- How to prevent and control leeches in your aquarium.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the saltwater disease "marine velvet".
- Information on diagnosing and treating nematodes.
Neon Tetra Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating neon tetra disease.
Parasites and Similar Problem Organisms
- Various fish parasites, some normally free-swimming organisms, and various species of algae can become a problem.
- An article about how you can prevent diseases among your fish.
- An introduction to Quarantine Aquariums.
Red Pest Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating red pest.
- Information on diagnosing scale protrusion and how to treat it.
- Information on the different causes of swim bladder problems and how the problem can be treated.
Tail & Fin Rot
- Information on diagnosing and treating tail an fin rot.
- Summary of treating fish disease argulus
Treating White Spot Disease
- Symptoms of Ich, its life cycle, and treatments using either malachite green or aquarium salt.
- An introduction to the art of treating fish that suffers from a disease.
Tumors in fish
- Information on tumors in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating Uronema marinum.
- Information on diagnosing and treating velvet