Glugea and Henneguya are two different fish diseases that I due to their rareness and similarity will treat in one article. The diseases are as I say very rare and most aquarists will never encounter them but it can still be a good idea to know about them just in case as there are no known cures for these highly contagious and deadly diseases.
Glugea and Henneguya are like most other diseases most likely to infect weakened fish and keeping a clean aquarium with healthy and well fed fish will therefore help prevent Henneguya and Glugea. Always quarantining new fish for a couple of weeks will also help prevent the introductions of these diseases and so will only feeding live food from trusted sources or avoiding live food all together.
The symptoms of these diseases are very similar and it is hard to tell one from the other without access to a laboratory. Henneguya and Glugea both cause white cysts similar to those caused by Lymphocystis on the fins and body of the infected fish. In more sever cases the entire fish will bloat up. As it can be hard to tell the diseases apart and the fact that Lymphocystis unlike Henneguya and Glugea isn't fatal, it can be a good idea to keep infected fish alive for a while to determine if the fish is suffering from the fatal Henneguya and Glugea or the less serious Lymphocystis virus. You should however make sure to quarantine suspected cases of Glugea and Henneguya immediately to prevent that the deadly disease spread to other fish. It can also be good to disinfect the aquarium once the diseased fish has been removed to further help reduce the risk of the disease spreading. Disinfecting can be done by adding disinfectants such as acriflavine (trypaflavine) or monacrin (monoaminoacridine) to the aquarium.
Didn't find the info you were looking for? Register for free and ask your question in our Aquarium forum !
Our knowledgeable staff usually responds to any question within 24 hours
- Summary of the fish disease argulus
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.
Buying Healthy fish
- An article about how to avoid diseases by buying healthy fish
Common fish diseases.
- An introduction to the more common fish diseases your fish might get.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Chilodonella.
- Information on diagnosing and treating constipation in fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating costia.
Danger Signs With Your Fishes
- How to recognise the the existence of ill health in a fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the dreaded dropsy.
- Information on diagnosing and treating ergasilus
- Information on diagnosing and treating eye problems in fish.
- How to examine dead fish for evidence of external parasites or internal problems.
- Causes and symptoms of fish TB. Mycobacterium marinum. Possible treatment. There is some danger to humans when servicing
- Information on flukes and how to trat flukes.
Fungus in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating fungis in fish.
Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.Natural methods to cure ich
- Information on diagnosing and treating hexamita.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hle in the head.
- Information on diagnosing and treating ichthyosporidium.
Injuries in fish
- Information on how to care for injured fish
Leeches in aquariums
- How to prevent and control leeches in your aquarium.
- Information on diagnosing and treating lymphocystis.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the saltwater disease "marine velvet".
- Information on diagnosing and treating nematodes.
Neon Tetra Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating neon tetra disease.
Parasites and Similar Problem Organisms
- Various fish parasites, some normally free-swimming organisms, and various species of algae can become a problem.
- An article about how you can prevent diseases among your fish.
- An introduction to Quarantine Aquariums.
Red Pest Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating red pest.
- Information on diagnosing scale protrusion and how to treat it.
- Information on the different causes of swim bladder problems and how the problem can be treated.
Tail & Fin Rot
- Information on diagnosing and treating tail an fin rot.
- Summary of treating fish disease argulus
Treating White Spot Disease
- Symptoms of Ich, its life cycle, and treatments using either malachite green or aquarium salt.
- An introduction to the art of treating fish that suffers from a disease.
Tumors in fish
- Information on tumors in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating Uronema marinum.
- Information on diagnosing and treating velvet