Sometimes we unexpectedly notice a bunch of fry in the aquarium and fail to find anywhere else to put them. Since many fish species loves to devour small fry this will normally lead to a really low fry survival rate, especially if the aquarium is not densely planted with a rich profusion of hiding spots. If you want to keep the survival rate up but are unable to set up a separate fry rearing tank, a “fry saver” can be a handy solution.
- You will need a suitable plastic container, a small drill or similar, an "L" shaped uplift, and a 100mm by 12mm overflow pipe.
- Place the container at the side of the aquarium.
- Drill two holes just slightly higher than the depth of the aquarium.
- Push the "L" shaped uplift into one of the holes.
- Push the 100mm by 12mm overflow pipe into another hole. The main idea is to create a system where the uplift draws water from the aquarium and empties the water into the container. The container will eventually overflow and water will return back to the aquarium via the overflow pipe.
- Fill the container with water from the aquarium.
- Start the flow in the uplift and make sure that both the uplift and the overflow pipe work as they should.
- Add a fine mesh to the uplift and to the overflow pipe to prevent fry and small fish from being transferred.
- Catch the fry and move them to the container.
- Place a lid on the container to keep the temperature stable.
- Carry out frequent water changes in your main aquarium to make sure that the water is suitable for sensitive fry. When your fry is big enough to live with the adults, they will already be perfectly adapted to both temperature and water conditions of your main aquarium.
Didn't find the info you were looking for? Ask your question in our Aquarium forum !
Our knowledgeable staff usually responds to any question within 24 hours
Other Aquarium Articles
Aquarium Cycling - A guide on how to cycle your aquarium.
Aquarium Lighting - Learn the basics of aquarium lighting
Breeding Fish - Overview of How To Breed Tropical Fish
Beginner fish - Great Beginner Fish for the Beginner Aquarist
Bad beginner fish - Horrible Beginner Fish for the Beginner Aquarist
The beginners tank - A guide to your fist aquarium
Cleaning your filter - Basic filter management
Carbon and aquariums - Information on the effects of using carbon in your aquarium.
Cycling - A guide to aquarium cycling and how it works.
Don’t trust the staff in the fish store! - A text about why you shouldn't alway trust your fish store.
Dry and Rainy Seasons in the Tank - A detailed account of how to simulate seasons in aquariums
Electrical Safety and Aquariums - How to prevent electrical accidents.
Filtration pro and cons - thoughts about filtration
Fry Growth rate - Thoughts on how to optimize growth in fry.
Fish keeping for beginners - An introduction for beginners.
Aquarium Filtration- Llists and describes the different methods of aquarium filtration, and then discusses their benefits and drawbacks.
Finding the Triggers - Information about how to find breeding triggers in different fihs species.
Fry Savers - Information about fry savers and how to construct fry savers.
How to Buy Healthy Fish - A gew tips on choosing healthy fish.
Making a Pebble Cave - A guide on how to make your own pebble cave for your fish.
Modifying Water Chemistry - A technical article about modifying hardness, alkalinity and pH.
Optimizing Growth of Fishes - The factors affecting fish growth - some may be manipulated, others not.
Setting up a tropical freshwater aquarium - Detailed guide on how to setup a freshwater aquarium..
Reverse Osmosis and aquariums - RO is a way to get very pure water in which fish such as dicus and neon tetras can breed and raise their fry.
Safe Rock and Wood Aquascaping - How to make sure that the materials you use in your aquascaping are aquarium safe.
Selecting Community Tank Fish - A guide that will help you choose the right fish for you based on tank size and experience level.
Setting Up A New Aquarium - Help beginners setup their first aquarium
Slime coat - Protecting your fishes vital slime coat
Snails in Aquariums - The biology of snails. Their advantages and disadvantages in an aquarium. How to keep them in check.
Amazon Biotope Aquarium - How to set-up, stock and maintain an aquarium that replicates the Amazon watershed.
Wall mounted aquariums - Information about Wall mounted aquariums
Water chemistry in the aquarium - Hardness, alkalinity and pH are discussed technically, from a chemistry point of view.
Water Chillers - Introduction to water chillers.
Central American Cichlids
Frogs and Turtles
Lake Victoria Cichlids
Marine Aquarium Fish
Responsible Fish Keeping
South American Cichlids
Tropical Fish Food