Ergasilus are parasites that infect fish and are very similar to the anchor worms both in regards to symptoms and treatment. These parasites can often weaken fish and thereby invite other diseases to infect the already sick fish.
Ergasilus can cause many of the same symptoms as anchor worms do, but are smaller and are more particular about the areas of fish they infect. The Ergasilus parasites infect the gills of the fish and can therefore besides the regular symptoms (such as the fish scratching itself against everything in the tank and green threads hanging out of the fish with an inflamed centre) also cause the fish to be sluggish and having trouble breeding. Fish can seem otherwise healthy and just display the white-green threads and still be infected by Ergasilus.
This disease or rather parasite can just as the anchor worm be treated using a potassium permanganate. Treatment can be administrated to the entire community/holding tank, which is messy since potassium permanganate will colour the water. Another less messy alternative is to bathe infected fish in a strong potassium permanganate solution. I recommend treating the entire tank even if it is messy as this guarantees that you treat all sick fish. Ergasilus has a long development time and seemingly healthy fish can therefore be infected as well. Use 2 mg potassium permanganate per litre aquarium water if you want to treat the entire tank. A stronger solution is required to kill the Ergasilus using a single 20-30 minute long bath and it is recommended to add 10mg potassium permanganate per litre water if you choose to use this method. Keep an eye up for follow up diseases if your fish have suffered from Ergasilus to make sure you can catch and treat them fast.
Didn't find the info you were looking for? Register for free and ask your question in our Aquarium forum !
Our knowledgeable staff usually responds to any question within 24 hours
- Summary of the fish disease argulus
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.
Buying Healthy fish
- An article about how to avoid diseases by buying healthy fish
Common fish diseases.
- An introduction to the more common fish diseases your fish might get.
- Information on diagnosing and treating Chilodonella.
- Information on diagnosing and treating constipation in fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating costia.
Danger Signs With Your Fishes
- How to recognise the the existence of ill health in a fish.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the dreaded dropsy.
- Information on diagnosing and treating eye problems in fish.
- How to examine dead fish for evidence of external parasites or internal problems.
- Causes and symptoms of fish TB. Mycobacterium marinum. Possible treatment. There is some danger to humans when servicing
- Information on flukes and how to trat flukes.
Fungus in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating fungis in fish.
Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating anchor worms.Natural methods to cure ich
Glugea and Henneguya
- Information on diagnosing and curing glugea and henneguya.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hexamita.
- Information on diagnosing and treating hole in the head.
- Information on diagnosing and treating ichthyosporidium.
Injuries in fish
- Information on how to care for injured fish
Leeches in aquariums
- How to prevent and control leeches in your aquarium.
- Information on diagnosing and treating lymphocystis.
- Information on diagnosing and treating the saltwater disease "marine velvet".
- Information on diagnosing and treating nematodes.
Neon Tetra Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating neon tetra disease.
Parasites and Similar Problem Organisms
- Various fish parasites, some normally free-swimming organisms, and various species of algae can become a problem.
- An article about how you can prevent diseases among your fish.
- An introduction to Quarantine Aquariums.
Red Pest Disease
- Information on diagnosing and treating red pest.
- Information on diagnosing scale protrusion and how to treat it.
- Information on the different causes of swim bladder problems and how the problem can be treated.
Tail & Fin Rot
- Information on diagnosing and treating tail an fin rot.
- Summary of treating fish disease argulus
Treating White Spot Disease
- Symptoms of Ich, its life cycle, and treatments using either malachite green or aquarium salt.
- An introduction to the art of treating fish that suffers from a disease.
Tumors in fish
- Information on tumors in fish
- Information on diagnosing and treating Uronema marinum.
- Information on diagnosing and treating velvet