PDA

View Full Version : 240g + 300g in wall build

glarior
11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
I finally started the beginning phase of my in wall setup idea. The idea is to move the wall 4ft back to give more space in the living room. The wall will be the front part of the stand so the tanks will be flush with the wall and have picture frame molding around them. The floor will have 3/4 plywood on top. Under the floor... has beams made by sandwitching two 2x6 with plywood in the middle. Those are supported by concrete blocks to the ground on every beam. That was the hard part!

The tanks:
300g - 6ftx3ft - Eeel, Banded shark and stingray
240g - 7ftx2ft - Reef with typical reef fish
sump - custom designed to support both tanks, thinking fluidized sump
Algae scrubber - custom designed with ability to expand

I forgot to mention I hate manual labor lol. So here is to the fun *cheers*

Before
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/Before.jpg

After
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/After.jpg

Brhino
11-02-2012, 05:14 PM
this is going to be awesome! Looking forward to watching your progress.

hockeyhead019
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
definitely gonna follow this one! Any ideas for a stocking plan yet?

glarior
11-02-2012, 09:07 PM
definitely gonna follow this one! Any ideas for a stocking plan yet?

I will transfer the tessalata eel to the 300g. Once everything is setup and running for a while I will add a banded shark and stingray.

The 240 will have lion fish, puffer (maybe, he keeps eating my one coral), blue tang, yellow tang, a few other typical reef fish... pretty much transfer the fish from the 120g to the 240. I already sold the 120 setup. After that I will add some more fish but I don't know what else at this time. I always take suggestions :goldfish:

HEADIN
11-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Definitely keep the pics coming on this 1

Knightia
11-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing how this develops. :18:

heyitsmeallen
11-03-2012, 01:41 PM
subbd.. Cant wait to see how this one turns out!

Crispy
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM
sweet build! have you given yourself an estimated timeline to finish the project? can't wait to see the sump! :18:

glarior
11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Worked on the wall a little this past weekend. My father and his friend were helping me when I left Sunday. I am hesitant on the how the wall will hold the tanks at this moment. Hard to have others see my vision especially when they don't have aquariums. I know the front wall will support the weight but its not perfect level. That 2x6 has a slight bow going across the entire thing. I am not sure what I can do at this moment to fix that.

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/wall1.jpg

glarior
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
sweet build! have you given yourself an estimated timeline to finish the project? can't wait to see the sump! :18:

Time frame ASAP... I am still running the tanks at the old place and they have been neglected. Even had a few water floods because I forgot the water was on filling up the tanks. Sooner they are out of there the sooner I save money lol.

glarior
11-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Sump idea.... input?

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/sumpDesign.jpg

Cliff
11-07-2012, 11:48 PM
No too sure what to suggest as I'm not too sure what you want to put in there for equipment

But I would suggest to try to arrange things for a in-sump algae scrubber (reverse lighting schedule from the main tank)

Are both tanks going to be on this one sump ?

glarior
11-07-2012, 11:59 PM
No too sure what to suggest as I'm not too sure what you want to put in there for equipment

But I would suggest to try to arrange things for a in-sump algae scrubber (reverse lighting schedule from the main tank)

Are both tanks going to be on this one sump ?

Scrubber will be exteral as well as the skimer. This sump is for both tanks so I only have to deal with one paramter.

Only equipment in the sump will be 4 pumps, heaters and oxygen supply for the K1 chamber. Also a small pump for the fuge and UV light.

jeffs99dime
11-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Subscribed. Will definitely be following this one.

glarior
11-09-2012, 05:33 AM
ideas/opinions wanted!!!

What do you think would look good to finish the exterior of the wall? I am open to all ideas!

I hit a snag in the build. Tonight I was checking the work that has been done and its not perfect. There is no way to level a tank if the house ever shifted. Since the 2x6 are laid flat that creates a major problem for cutting holes for the plumbing.

My plan to fix the problem is leave the wall and build stands for the aquariums. Slide the stand to the wall which will now have a 6" shelf between the outside wall and aquarium. :-/ Not exactly I wanted to do but it will work. I am just trying to figure out how to make the exterior of the wall look good including the new 6" shelf. I will take any ideas!!!

Cliff
11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Why not just build stands for the tanks, get them nice and level, followed by building the walls around the stands ?

heyitsmeallen
11-09-2012, 01:30 PM
You could put the stands and tanks behind the wall and just use the holes you have built as windows. or is that what you have described?

glarior
11-09-2012, 04:17 PM
You could put the stands and tanks behind the wall and just use the holes you have built as windows. or is that what you have described?

Why not just build stands for the tanks, get them nice and level, followed by building the walls around the stands ?

@ cliffThat was my vision but no matter how I tried I could not convey it to the ones helping.

After many many hours of thinking utnil my head hurts I decided to build it the way I vision it. I will rip out the work done and leave a box. Then build two stands which will slide in place. I Will still be able to finish the exterior of the wall and have my flush picture frame setup. YEa, more work for me haha.

Still trying to figure out decoration for the wall when you view it from the living room. I am not good at that part

glarior
11-10-2012, 02:30 AM
My sump idea should be a reality in the next week or two. I took the design to my friend at the LFS. His acrylic guy will pick up the plans tomorrow (saturday) and start the build. Woohoo!

Really likes the slide out filter change idea. It will also have the chamber for the K1 media to fluidize!

Well now to rip out the wall so I can install dual stands like my original vision was.... here is a to a long weekend!

glarior
11-16-2012, 02:58 AM
What color should I paint the equipment room? I'm thinking a mid to dark blue ...

Northerly
11-16-2012, 04:07 AM
I really appreciate your work on that wall! Are you a framer or something by trade? If not, excellent job. If so, still a damn good job.

glarior
11-16-2012, 04:59 AM
I really appreciate your work on that wall! Are you a framer or something by trade? If not, excellent job. If so, still a damn good job.

Nope, I have a 40hour desk job pushing papers :-) Live in the country, drive to the city M-F. I am not a manual labor person. I am sure they would fire me for being slow.... but when the job is done my work would be perfect. :hmm3grin2orange:

The desk job gives me plenty of "thinking" hours on how to build things with my hands. The biggest thing that helps is.... patience and be willing to try and fail but learn from mistakes.

It is just my father and I (when he stops by) working on the wall. My dad did give me the ideas how to support the floor to handle the weight. Now, he is a real country boy and makes awesome stuff from nothing... thats where I get it from. That is also why I want to surprise him with epoxy sealed beer cans in the tank since he is being paid with beer :18: :19:

BTW, Thank you for the compliment!

glarior
11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
:19: Picked up my sump last night! :19:

It is awesome! Feels good to see something I designed completed. Can't wait to see the media running in it. I plan to take a video of this thing running once the setup is completed

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/Sump1.jpg

HEADIN
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
looking good!!

jeffs99dime
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow. That sump is huge!

glarior
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Wow. That sump is huge!

On paper I knew it was big but not how big lol. 5ft x 2ft x 22"

ScottishFish
11-20-2012, 06:46 PM
If only I had a main tank as big as your sump! :11:

glarior
11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
If only I had a main tank as big as your sump! :11:

I think you should follow your therapist advice and get a bigger tank :hmm3grin2orange:

The tank is usually the cheapest part of the build. All the extra stuff is what adds up.

Cliff
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
A blue would look nice for a sump room

I would suggest a good quality kitchen and bath paint just in case you get a lot of humidity in the that room

glarior
11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
A blue would look nice for a sump room

I would suggest a good quality kitchen and bath paint just in case you get a lot of humidity in the that room

I did finally find one by accident. Sherwin-Williams has a commercial marine paint that was perfect for this. Plus, it is USDA approved for food companies. If I can eat off of it my fish sure can!

It cost $60 per gallon (double the price of regular house paint) but it met all the criteria I needed. I should only need one gallon.

The blue color I had mixed... wow! I hope it looks as good when it dries! I will share pictures when I get a chance.

Now I am in debate to paint the back of the aquariums.... blue or black... gloss or no gloss?????

Rocksor
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice large sump

onesikdc
11-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Work faster! I want to see more pics lol. Looking good

Cliff
11-21-2012, 07:29 AM
I would suggest black no gloss for the back of the tanks

CrazedMichael
11-22-2012, 08:38 AM
I would suggest black no gloss for the back of the tanks

+1.

Black would make all the inhabitants in the tank stand out.

glarior
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Got some things done during thanksgiving.
Installed 4 emergency water drains with check valves
Finished running the electrical wires
Painted the room and stands
Installed air duct for ac/heat
Placed one tank on the stand
The next tank will take some time since I need help to move it.

Here are some pics....

This picture is taking a 90 and making it ~45... this is for electrical junction under the house.
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/pipe1.jpg

Here is the paint I used
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/PaintCan.jpg

The room after two coats of paint
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/1_paint.jpg

The room with the 7ft tank placed on stand
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/inwallstand1.jpg

I am waiting for the K1 media to arrive so I can start to set up the filtration. I did not account for the height between the top and bottom rail of the stand. My sump will not slide into it like I planned. So, I will have to place the stand, place the sump inside of it and then the 300g on the stand. I want to make sure the sump does what I need it to do before I do that.

jeffs99dime
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
That is awesome! You have serious building skills.

glarior
12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I don't feel like there was much acomplished this past weekend. Worked on tank plumbing but nothing seemed to go right.

Try again tonight

glarior
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Lesson of the weekend... never PVC glue all the pipe until you make sure you added the nut to the bulk heads :14:

Cliff
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Lesson of the weekend... never PVC glue all the pipe until you make sure you added the nut to the bulk heads :14:

Now that sounds like something that I would do :14:

glarior
12-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Water is flowing in the 240g!

One problem... the over flow is going up and down. I am wondering if that 90 degree turn is causing it. The pipe and overflow is 1.5". I have one pump running right now which is ~900-1000gph at the current height including the 90's. I have added a 1/8" drilled hole to the top of the overflow drain pipe but did not make a difference. Also, makes that gurgling sound when it fluctuates... Suggestions?

glarior
12-19-2012, 07:22 AM
I removed the cap from the drain pipe and that fixed my problem. After that I turned on the 2nd pump. The pipe will drain the water but it is pushing it. I think I will add some extra type of extra return for that tank.

Been a long night. Moved ~300g of water from the old place to the new place, moved the LR and some sand. The eel put up one heck of a fight! I had him in a 5g bucket, slowly poured the water into the new tank. The eel did its best to stay in the bucket. I then raised the bucked as high as I can physically reach... the eel was still able to hold its self out of the water into the inverted bucket! Finally, after almost falling to the floor I caught him and got him in the tank.

I tested the paint I used... it is amazing! While pumping the water from outside the house to the tank my hose fell spraying water all over the floor. The drains in the floor worked and the rest beaded into small puddles which the shop vac sucked up. I was amazed that the floor was dry by just using the shop vac.

I am sure I have more mishaps but I am to tired to remember them :-)

Cliff
12-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Water is flowing in the 240g!

One problem... the over flow is going up and down. I am wondering if that 90 degree turn is causing it. The pipe and overflow is 1.5". I have one pump running right now which is ~900-1000gph at the current height including the 90's. I have added a 1/8" drilled hole to the top of the overflow drain pipe but did not make a difference. Also, makes that gurgling sound when it fluctuates... Suggestions?

Sounds like a Duriso standpipe drain. If it is, one thing that can cause uneven flow and loud noise is a improperly sized air hole. You can fix that one of two ways:

Replace the cap and make a adjustable air hole in the size of the cap and adjust by drilling a 1/2" hole through both. Then by turning the cap, you can adjust the size of the air hole until it runs smooth and makes no noise. I did that on my 120 gallon and it works great

http://www.rl180reef.com/180/pages/standpipe/mods/images/adjustable_airhole.jpg

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/popular-modifications/3-adjustable-air-hole-modification

Or... you could replace the cap and re-do the air holes. I would suggest using the smallest drill bit you have and put only one hole in the air. Add another wait 5 minutes to see the difference. Keep adding holes until it runs smooth and makes no noise. I did that on my 180 and it works well also

glarior
12-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Cliff, thanks for the reply:22:

Do you by chance know how to make a full siphon drain?

Cliff
12-19-2012, 09:56 PM
I've never used on myself, but the below link might help

http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.php/Super_Sucking_Siphon

glarior
12-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I've never used on myself, but the below link might help

http://www.evillabs.net/wiki/index.php/Super_Sucking_Siphon

Something like that is just what I was looking for. Going to try it and see what happens.

Cliff
12-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Just make sure you size the drain lines to match the flow rate you want. In that example, I think they only used a 3/4 line which will likely be too small for your set-up

glarior
12-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Just make sure you size the drain lines to match the flow rate you want. In that example, I think they only used a 3/4 line which will likely be too small for your set-up

I was going to use it in combination with the 1.5" pipe... least that's the idea

hockeyhead019
12-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Having used a full siphon my only heads up is be careful what you use for your air priming line. If you look at the schematic Cliff provided you'll know what I'm talking about... if/when that seal starts to lose suction you'll lose your siphon since it'll wanna pull the air instead of the water which is really bad.

Also plan for your sump to fully pump into your DT just incase for whatever reason you lose siphon... it's happened to me when you try and drain to much and it pulses and started to almost hiccup where you take a huge amount of water in and then some air and then so on and then you lose your siphon the same way you would if your valve were to fail... anyways I'd stay away from a siphon personally after dealing with one. Unless it's superbly made (and even then you chance failure) it'll be a pita

My two cents though... anybody feel free to challenge it lol

glarior
12-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I finally solved my overflow box problem. thanks for the input Hocky and Cliff.

I did not use a full siphon but bought another cap. I drilled 1/8" holes until the drain was quieter and draining both pumps. So that problem is solved

The latest update... I about lost my eel. I had him in the tank and an insane outbreak of nh3 happened. I contribute it to disturbing all the sand/media. I have him in a trash cran with clean water. Took a 3"pvc, stuffed filter floss, nh3 pad, nitrate pad and carbon pad then put the pump on the top of the pvc. The eel seems 100x better now. It was a close call.

I made a mistake on my sump. The retaining wall after the K1 should have been way shorter. I am building up to much back pressure and the the chamber is not flowing like I want. It can handle two pumps but the 3rd and 4th start pushing the media out of the chamber. Trying to think of some other ideas to make it work.

I am thinking to fill that chamber with LR, put the K1 under the filterpads with a small pump to aggitate the media. Then convert the fuge to a K1 media area as well. Since I will be using a large scrubber I am not to worried about the fuge.

ideas, options, opinions? anything :-)

BTW, Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Cliff
12-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Would it be possible to post a pic of the sump set-up they way it is now ?

I always find it a lot easier to understand if I can look at a pic, but I'm a little old school that way. Hopfuly, I can offer a few good suggestions as well.

glarior
12-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Okay, I messed with my sump more today and finally got it working like I planned.

Pressure and water flow are two different things. The sump had plenty of water flow but had to much back pressure. Instead of having the sump wall overflow onto sponges I cut two 1.5" holes allowing it to drain. Since the water line is half on that side of the wall vs the other... the water flows just like I want. Here is a pic of the K1 chamber... I will post one with it flowing.

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/05.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/06.jpg

glarior
12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
"anything you try to fix will take longer and cost more than you thought" - Murphey Law

glarior
12-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Update:

For starters, I messed up the calculations for 7ft tank.... its 210g.

I have drained the tank and am starting 100% new water. So, I will go through an expensive nitrifcation cycle that I am not looking forward to. I am thinking of spending the money for dr tims nitrifying bacteria... but not sure. What you think? Spend the money?

The eel is mad at me and don't blame him. He produces a lot of NH3 especially in an unestablished system.

I moved the sump from under the 300g tank so it will be easy access if I ever need to do anything. I am going to build a huge table above it that can support my weight and act as a step stool for tank maintenance.

*Cheers*

Cliff
12-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm 100% sure I'm understanding your current situation. I thought you had some cured live rock in your set-up ?

Why are you having to re-cycle your tank again ?

I have never used Dr Tims before, but I used a similar product when recureing my live rock for my 180. It certainly did help. I don't think it would hurt to use it, it could only help. If it was me, I would spend the money

glarior
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm 100% sure I'm understanding your current situation. I thought you had some cured live rock in your set-up ?

Why are you having to re-cycle your tank again ?

I have never used Dr Tims before, but I used a similar product when recureing my live rock for my 180. It certainly did help. I don't think it would hurt to use it, it could only help. If it was me, I would spend the money

I shall spend the money... I am going to visit my friend at the LFS and get the product he uses for the store. Won't be dr. Tims since I have to order online.

The sump is new and the media has no bacteria on it. The LR was only ~40lbs. The bio balls I added were removed and left out when I moved the sump. I really think the tank is going to cycle again.

When I put the eel into the 30g tank the filter is new but I added about 20lbs of LR. Guess that is still not enough.

Here is my current plan....

The 7ft tank should finish filling in the next 24 hours. Have everything running like it should and add the nitrifiying bacteria to the water. Then monitor the water and have extra water ready just in case.

Should I bring over some live sand from other tanks to help?

Cliff
12-28-2012, 10:00 PM
OK, now I undestand

I would use all the live rock and bio-balls like you are already planning. Another great bacteria product is one made by Brightwell Aquatics. I have used it and it really did help speed up my rock curing from weeks to days.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php

I'm not a fan of live sand so I honestly don't know if that would be a good idea or not.

glarior
12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Pics of the build

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/idea1.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/idea2.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/idea3.jpg

glarior
12-31-2012, 11:14 PM
More pics

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/idea4.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/idea5.jpg

glarior
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
The 300g tank is placed on the stand! Next few days will be filling it. Getting closer :-) :19:

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/bothfistan.jpg

heyitsmeallen
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
its good to see your progress!

glarior
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
its good to see your progress!

It is good :-) Now if it could only hurry up lol.

300g is level and been filling since Sunday. Getting closer to being completed

jeffs99dime
01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
That looks really good. Are you going to trim out the middle and side gaps?

glarior
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
That looks really good. Are you going to trim out the middle and side gaps?

Yes. Once it is done both tanks will look the same height. At this time I am thinking the huge/fancy picture frames around both tanks. Make the top of the picture frame able to be openend for feeding from the front.

glarior
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Both tanks are running... well, for a little while. The thread sealent on the barb to bulkhead was leaking. I re-did those last night and let them dry until I get home today.

That sump works just as I designed! I could not have been happier. The K1 Kaldness is doing its job of converting ammonia to nitrates!

The scrubber is being built and should have it today or later this week. It is huge! It wil have two 12"x18 screens and 60 LED's. The acrylic box is 26" tall, 32" long, 5" wide for the screen and the ends are 9" wide. Should have that going by the end of the week. Since I am not feeding a lot I will use a ball valve to shut off half the scrubber and only light 15 LED's right now thanks to my LED controller.

Pictures to come in the next few days.

Cliff
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing pics. That sounds like once heck of a scrubber.

jeffs99dime
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Triton
01-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Just went through the entire thread and wow.... I haven't dipped into SW yet, but that eel looks awesome, and I love the set up

Few questions / thoughts

1. Are you planning to paint the entire room that blue? Or the walls at least in the same style paint to prevent moisture problems?

2. I personally think some nice decorative wood work on the outside of the tank would look better than picture frames, some nice stained wood that has been routered etc (just my .02)

3. I cannot wait to see your lion fish (my favorite SW fish)

4. Are you going to build any tables / cabinets etc for the back room? I think making it a full blown fish room would be great?

Can't wait to see more in the future, my GF would kill me if I even mentioned this. I plan to do a room like that in the basement of my future house though

Triton
01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
This is kinda what I was thinking, but without the doors on top (unless you wanted to feed that way)

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/for/3523709146.html

glarior
01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Just went through the entire thread and wow.... I haven't dipped into SW yet, but that eel looks awesome, and I love the set up

Few questions / thoughts

1. Are you planning to paint the entire room that blue? Or the walls at least in the same style paint to prevent moisture problems?

2. I personally think some nice decorative wood work on the outside of the tank would look better than picture frames, some nice stained wood that has been routered etc (just my .02)

3. I cannot wait to see your lion fish (my favorite SW fish)

4. Are you going to build any tables / cabinets etc for the back room? I think making it a full blown fish room would be great?

Can't wait to see more in the future, my GF would kill me if I even mentioned this. I plan to do a room like that in the basement of my future house though

I only painted about 1ft up the wall. I only did that to seal that area in case a tank ever breaks. There should not be too much moisture. The sump has a lid for 90% of it and both tanks will have tops. I keep the house temp around 70-72 degrees all year and use LED's so they should not heat up during the summer. Worst case scenario I have a large de-humidifier.

I like your wood work idea! Thank you!

The lion fish didn't make it. Stopped eating a few months back and I tried everything for least a month. Finally I was going to freeze him if he did not pull through night but by morning... .that was the end of that. I don't plan on buying any fish, stingray or shark until the tanks are 100% ready.

Yes, full blown fish room or as I call it "filter room". There will be shelves, tables, sink and a cabinet. I am in debate if I want to keep my 120g reef setup and put it on the back wall.
Just have to convince your GF how amazing it is and that your doing it for her :hmm3grin2orange: My friend always blames me on his fish setup when his wife see's the bank statement lol. Says I am a bad influence and that I invite him to visit the fish store. :14:

Triton
01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
You could use that 120g for a QT / Grow out tank for coral etc

I would have a basic setup on it, no fancy rock work, just enough to get things ready to go into the show tanks

glarior
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
You could use that 120g for a QT / Grow out tank for coral etc

I would have a basic setup on it, no fancy rock work, just enough to get things ready to go into the show tanks

Yea I have thought about that. I would like to have a spare tank in case I had to medicate a shark. For a frag tank I was thinking some smaller tanks like the stores use.

In time will tell :-) Still have a ways to go

Triton
01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
That and I just did a full overhaul on my 55 gallon freshwater, so she is already yelling at me about wanting to get a few more fish to finish my stock lol

glarior
01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
That and I just did a full overhaul on my 55 gallon freshwater, so she is already yelling at me about wanting to get a few more fish to finish my stock lol

Awesome! That is a step in the right direction for bigger tanks :19:

Triton
01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Yea I have been looking at plywood tank designs all day.... ooo the possibilities... but I think I'd still stick with FW over SW, as much as I love SW there is too much required, and I like the large schools...

I've been trying to think of what I'd do with a 300+ gallon tank lol

glarior
01-16-2013, 07:24 PM
I've been trying to think of what I'd do with a 300+ gallon tank lol

You may be sleeping with the fishies if you did that lol:hmm3grin2orange: unless she is all for it

Triton
01-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Its one of those... eventually type things for me.

glarior
01-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Its one of those... eventually type things for me.

Like I said, I am a bad influcence lol

If you do buy or build a tank have to start a build thread on here! It would be awesome to see

Triton
01-16-2013, 07:40 PM
I would, I have seen threads for tanks, one where I guy built his house around it. I'd really only want a max size of something that was moveable, aka could fit through a door way.

Brihno has a 300g freshwater that I have been following as he comes along with it

glarior
01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
I would, I have seen threads for tanks, one where I guy built his house around it. I'd really only want a max size of something that was moveable, aka could fit through a door way.

Brihno has a 300g freshwater that I have been following as he comes along with it

Brihno has a cool setup coming along. I am following the thread too.

glarior
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Slight set back on the build.... I need to re-run my electrical for the fish tank room to another pole on the property. The 200amp main breaker tripped the other night. Once I started adding up the fridge, washer/dryer, hot water heater etc etc etc... all of that running at once with normal wall outlets being used trips the breaker. So, I need to re-run the wire from my junction box to the other pole.

On the bright side.... I got to test my sump in a power out situation lol. Works well with the draining water. I am going to drill one of the return lines to break siphon sooner.

glarior
01-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Here is the scrubber. It will have two 12"*18" screens and eventually a control valve in the middle. I will be able to light one side or all four sides of the screen when I start feeding more.

I am trying to figure out how to get the best even flow on the screen. I tried wrapping the screen around the pipe but the ties are messing up the flow. I tried sloted pipe and drilled pipe. Sooner or later I will figure something out

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/scrubber1.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/scrubber2.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/scrubber3.jpg

jeffs99dime
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
This build is awesome! You have my undivided attention.

Triton
01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Idea... what about having the ties on the bottom of the mesh? Could that work?

I have never built one of these, but your mesh would still be touching the pipe (have the holes in the sides and top) that way the water will have to flow down the mesh...

Let me know if I am wrong, or if you wanna give it a try

glarior
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Idea... what about having the ties on the bottom of the mesh? Could that work?

I have never built one of these, but your mesh would still be touching the pipe (have the holes in the sides and top) that way the water will have to flow down the mesh...

Let me know if I am wrong, or if you wanna give it a try

Good idea! However, the problem is the ties. The water hits them and goes around. It was suggested to use fishing line to sew them together. I have not tried that but hopefully tonight I will have time. Someone else mentioned since I have no screen in the slot that the slot may be to big. Suggested more holes but smaller holes. Hrm.....

Cliff
01-23-2013, 06:40 PM
How about a bigger/wider slot to feed the screen into ?

That is what I did for mine. I used a 1/8 to 1/4" wide slot, feed the screen in and plastic tire-wraps to hold to to the feed tube. When I tried a few different things, that was the approach that gave me the most flow and held the screen tightly in place for me.

glarior
01-23-2013, 07:26 PM
@cliff, thats what I did for my old setup but the algae would grow on that part. AFter a while it would clog/spray everywhere but the screen. Plus, I am trying to lower it a few inches.

A person on algaescrubbers.net gave me a good idea I am going to try tonight. It will prevent growth, lower it and keep a good flow.

Oh yea, I forgot I need to rough up the screen

glarior
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Built the 60 LED's for the scrubber. They are bright! I did not get them to dim with my controller but think I figured out why... will run that extra ground wire and it should work. I will takes pics when I do.

I used aluminum c-channel and aluminum angle to build the heat sink/frame. Then went to harbor freight and bought alumiweld rods and used my torch to weld it all together. Never knew about that until this past weekend. Really cool stuff... going to use it on my car project since I have to build a custom water pump for the heater hoses. Anyways... here the sixty deep red LED's

Cliff
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
That looks like a lot of intense red light. That should work great for growing algae. I'm really looking forward to reading more up-dates on this scrubber as you continue to work on it

What type and wattage of LEDs did you use ?

glarior
01-29-2013, 06:48 PM
That looks like a lot of intense red light. That should work great for growing algae. I'm really looking forward to reading more up-dates on this scrubber as you continue to work on it

What type and wattage of LEDs did you use ?

3w solderless philips rebel es

I love the fact I don't have to solder every single one!

http://www.rapidled.com/solderless-philips-rebel-es-660nm-deep-red-led/

Cliff
01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to bookmark that site

If I build a LED a set-up I would need to using something like that as I'm not the best at soldering

glarior
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the link. I'm going to bookmark that site

If I build a LED a set-up I would need to using something like that as I'm not the best at soldering

Yea, the solderless makes it so nice/easy. Plus, when you have to wire a whole bunch of them it saves you time! Plus, when you order them you can get different length's of wire. I chose all 4" lengths because at the time I did not know how long I would need.

glarior
01-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Scrubber Update

http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/LED3.jpg
http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/LED4.jpg

Click here for a video to download (http://www.horsepowermafia.com/images/web/LEDVid.mp4)

hockeyhead019
02-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Solid set up... I love the controller!

glarior
02-05-2013, 09:37 PM
@hockeyhead019

If you want some info on the controller and how to do it send me a PM.

That goes to anyone who wants to know how.

Cliff
02-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Please PM me some details about the controller, if you do not mind

glarior
02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Made some good progress this past Sunday. Re-ran the electrical wire for the aquarium room so it is on its own electrical box at the pole. Ran all the wire for outlets in the tank room. Then I transferred all my coral, live rock and fish to the 240g aquarium. I have not aquascaped any of it yet or even hooked up the lights lol. I will work on that tonight.

It was amazing that the eel could smell the fish added to the tank. He was out looking for a snack!

The tank with everything thrown in it. The corals are on the left half and the LR is on the right

This is a heater I had in the old tank... I was removing the wrong and I bumped it and I heard it making bad electrical sounds. It was blown out in two different places! I never knew and glad I had a wire in the tank running to a ground.

What is this? I bought him years ago and don't remember.

jeffs99dime
02-11-2013, 06:52 PM
That looks like a Sea Slug or Nudibranch to me.

glarior
02-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Found it... Sea Cucumber, tiger tail - (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+502+712&pcatid=712), Holothuria sp

glarior
02-19-2013, 05:42 PM
This past weekend I was at the fish store and was offered a huge lionfish and miniatus grouper. The grouper was a very hard sell for them since it was very aggressive. They have had the fish for ~6+ months and it would attack anyone putting their finger on the glass and even the fish store employees were scared of it. Naturally, I have always liked the fish. I asked for half price and they said yes so I brought him home along with the lionfish. The LFS people bet that the grouper would be the king of the tank and mess with the eel. However, haha, the eel showed him who is boss. The eel really wanted to eat him and kept testing the grouper to figure out how it could eat him. Thankfully the grouper is 10+" long and stood his ground. This was good learning lesson that I need to buy a much bigger shark.

As for the tank setup I started running half of my scrubber last night. I tested the water and the results are below. I will see how everything goes as I add more elements. I do have some brown algae growing but should be taken care of once the scrubber starts to grow algae.

The highly neglected corals are doing pretty good so far. I finally brought them over from the old place and they are doing well so far. The one missing the most is because the old puffer use to eat it. It will take least a year for it to grow back.

PH - 8.3
Nh3 - 0
no3- - 10
po4 - .25
mg - 125
ca - 400
Iodine - check tonight
stronium - check tonight

The test results prove my sump design is working! So many said it can't be done since no one else uses K1 in SW.... well, there is your answer, nh3 ---> n02- ---> no3

I will keep updating with pictures.

Knightia
02-19-2013, 11:45 PM
That eel is stunning! How long have you had it?

That grouper...is it a Coral Rock Cod? I think I saw these in the Maldives. Gorgeous.

glarior
02-20-2013, 09:06 PM
That eel is stunning! How long have you had it?

That grouper...is it a Coral Rock Cod? I think I saw these in the Maldives. Gorgeous.

I have had the eel for least a year... maybe a little longer. I really don't remember lol

Yes, the grouper is also known as the coral rock cod. I know it as a miniatus grouper. Cephalopholis miniatus

I am really liking larger fish then the smaller ones now lol. So cool to watch and feed them.

Triton
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
You had me lost talking about the scrubber lol, I don't know the SW stuff that well. But def liking it so far, I love lionfish. Are you done stocking that tank with those 3?

glarior
02-20-2013, 10:23 PM
You had me lost talking about the scrubber lol, I don't know the SW stuff that well. But def liking it so far, I love lionfish. Are you done stocking that tank with those 3?

I am waiting for a large gray bamboo shark and a cortez stingray then that is all. I will add some more to the reef tank because it only has a few little fish.

The scrubber is a cool way to keep the algae, phosphates and nitrates out of the system.

Triton
03-11-2013, 11:56 AM
A guy on my local craigslist has a ton of SW stock that he's selling.. too bad your in texas lol

glarior
03-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Update:

Tank is running great but I need lids on the tanks. I am losing ~3g of water a day.
Tank values are doing great. The K1 is converting everything to nitrates and the LR/scrubber are slowly decreasing them.
The scrubber has one screen with about 70% of coverage and the 2nd screen is starting to grow. I think I will modify the 2nd screen and make it like the first one that is the picture a above this post. I will take pics when I get a chance.

The eel, grouper and lion fish are doing very well. They are by far my favorite group of fish. I really like the bigger fish over the small ones now and honestly, I never thought I would.

I removed the black and white damsel from the reef tank. I did not know until I added a new anthias fish that the damsel was agressive and killed one of the weaker anthias. That and I was re-arranging my rocks and he kept attacking me. I thought everyone got along because none of the other fish ever had any signs being attacked. However, once I removed him the other fish hang out where I can see them! I thought they were human shy because they stayed at the old place for 6 months with very little interaction.

I had to put my flame angel to sleep last night. Something happened and its eye became infected but over a few days he just got worse. Then the fins were missing and I am pretty sure he is blind. I tried to feed him and he could not see the food.

The soft corals I have are growing like crazy.

That is about all for now... I will post up pics and some charts in the next few weeks.

Triton
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Any updated pics of the build?

glarior
03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Any updated pics of the build?

I will try to get some pics of the scrubber tonight... its way over due for cleaning.

Land Speed Racing season just started so I have been focusing my time building my motorcycle in attempt to take some long standing records. The tanks have not been messed with because of that.

Still working on a small shark and ray.

glarior
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Not sure why but my computer wont load AC forum. However, I am trying taptalk for the first time...

Here is the pics of the scrubber. The scrubber forum says I should double the leds and use less screen. Kind of baffled on that.

I'm going to add a sulphur reactor setup to the tank.

Cliff
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
The "scrubber form guys" are just likely trying to give you suggestions to increase the intensity of the lighting to help the algae become even more effective. In theory, a smaller screen with a lot more intense lighting can remove more nitrates and phosphates out of the water than a larger one with less intense lighting (all other things being equal).

As long as your parameters are good, no need to change a thing

glarior
03-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Wish I would have read that before. I can chop up the aluminum and add all 60 leds to the left side screen with a 12 inch PVC slit and powered by a Rio 3100. That would work better then what I have now?

I based mine off feeding and I am feeding a lot! 10 silversides, shrimp, 3 cubes and every other day a small octopus. The silver sides alone come to 50 cubes per day. :-/

The reason to modify or add more filtering is the nitrates are slowly creeping up and I don't like that.

Cliff
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Could you just add more higher wattage LEDs to the exsisting aluminum ?

glarior
03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
For the price of doubling the leds I can build a sulphur setup to compliment the scrubber. I am in debate.... the joys of fish tanks :-)

Cliff
03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
For the price of doubling the leds I can build a sulphur setup to compliment the scrubber. I am in debate.... the joys of fish tanks :-)

LOL, I know what you mean, I love all the options.

Let us know what you decide

glarior
03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Going to add all the leds to one screen and buy everything for the sulphur denitrator setup. I have a huge bioload

glarior
04-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Everything went crazy last night!

Eel attacked my yellow stingray and put a gash I'm him. The grouper attacked the lion fish when I would turn my back on him. The blue spot ray is dead and I bet the eel attacked him which is why he got passed the tops on the tank.

As of right now the eel and grouper are moves in the 240 reef tank. The rest are on the 300g except the yellow tang, blue tang and a chromis are in a temp 30g. Wish I had the other 120g set right now.

Biggest thing is finding out what needs to be done for the ray and if the lion fish fins will grow back.

HEADIN
04-17-2013, 08:31 AM
We need some updated pics if the full tank and set up etc

glarior
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Pics.

The blue spot didn't make it cause of the eel and the yellow ray shows the mark left by the eel.

HEADIN
04-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Amazing selection of fish to have... can we get some full tank shots to see how the whole set up looks after all the effort and work you've put in?

glarior
04-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Dont have any updates of the outside at this time.

glarior
05-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I have a nitrate battle going... bleh.

Tried my one reactor idea but I can't get the media to fluidize correctly.

Bought a Reef Octopus Diablo DCRS 250 EXT Recirculating Protein Skimmer and Dr Tim's pearls and give those a try. Hopefully that will give me the edge on the nitrates. We shall see....

Thinking of messing with the wall late this summer.

All the updates for now

Cliff
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I would be interested to know how Dr Tim's Pearls work out for you. I have only used the Vertex brand of bio-pellets

Are you still running your algae scrubber ? If you are, I would keep a close eye on your growth as carbon dosing can also effect algae scrubbers

glarior
05-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I would be interested to know how Dr Tim's Pearls work out for you. I have only used the Vertex brand of bio-pellets

Are you still running your algae scrubber ? If you are, I would keep a close eye on your growth as carbon dosing can also effect algae scrubbers

Yes, still have the scrubber going but not happy with it. The algae scrubber site says for me to double my LED' or combine all the LED's on 1 screen vs 2. Maybe I will do that this weekend.

I will keep make a chart with the nitrate levels and how the new skimmer and pearls work. Hopefully, it does what I want it to do.

I also thought I may be able to mix the pearls in the K1 fluidized sump I had built. They did not specify a certain amount of flow but to keep the media fluidized and in oxygen which is exactly what the K1 Kaldness needs. So far that is working great. I have no nh3 or nitrites.

Surfdog
05-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Nice one G! Maybe I missed it but do you have a shot of the tanks in the wall? You certainly have given me a few ideas and I may be following your setup sans scrubber as my 150G is exclusively Morays and unneeded. Great Job bud, honestly my hats off to you on this one...:22:

glarior
05-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Wall not finished. Will finish this summer or fall. Its land speed racing season so all funds are diverted to my build.

The scrubber actually needs more leds.

Thanks for the compliments! I need to clean the glass and post new pics of the sharks, ray, eel, grouper and lion fish.

glarior
05-19-2013, 02:11 PM
First time for everything ...

One of my pumps squealed and woke me up which is amazing since I can sleep through anything. I walk to the living room and notice my huge sump is dry and water on the floor. Turned everything off, cleaned up the mess and been adding ro/di water since then. I burned up one sicce syncra 5 pump bit everything else seems okay. I wont know for sure until everything is back running. As soon as I make enough water I will run the setup in limp mode which is one pump for each tank. What a morning!

Cliff
05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the trouble. What happened to cause this ?

glarior
05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I think I just figured out what happened. The Dr. Tim's reactor water return hose got knocked out and pumped the water on the floor until it ran out of water. Least I hope it was that. I checked the other hoses and all looked good.

I estimate I lost 60+ gallons of water if not more.

glarior
05-19-2013, 06:14 PM
My drain system did work!

Here is a pic of an impeller of one pump. The other 3 work but they have some scaring too.

Is there a pump that can switch off if it detects its running dry?

Cliff
05-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Ouch

You can get float switches that will cut power to your pump if the water level drops. The below link is just one example of what I am talking about. I’m planning to get two as soon as my budget allows, one for my return pump and one for my skimmer

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Float_Switch_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pum ps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Ultralife-UL1111-FIDPETPU-vi.html

glarior
07-01-2013, 06:40 PM
update:
I really need to get lids for the aquarium.... my huge lion fished jumpped out while I was on vacation.

I bought a Korallin Sulphur 4002 reactor and installed it 10 days ago. It has already cycled and I will monitor nitrate reduction. I now know what I did wrong with my last sulphur experiment and plan to build a small reactor for my 120g setup.

Next upgrade is moving away from the four sicce syncra 5 to a ReeFlo Hammerhead/Barracuda Gold Hybrid Pump with a manifold. I will also have a back up of two syncra 5 plugged into the manifold if the external pump failed.

I have been talking with my friend how to finish the wall but I keep changing my mind all the time. I think the best route is to make the wall removable but hide all the screws and lines of the wall. Still not quite sure what route to take.

I added back my 120g tank to the aquarium room which will become the reef tank again. Once I setup the external pump/manifold I will use the other pumps for that tank.

glarior
07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
More updates:

Dr. Tim's pearls - I have not seen any difference since adding those to my system.

Scrubber - The huge scrubber I built has not redcued nitrates. The scrubber forum says I need to double the LED's. I am thinking of getting rid of the scrubber and LED's. Not sure. I may chop up the heatsink and half the size of the scrubber and try it on the 120 tank.... but then I think the sulphur reactor seems to be way better. I don't know yet.... lol

DIY LED's - I was working on a reef setup LED's but think I am going to scrap that idea. I bought the arduino, touch screen, drivers, LED's and c-channel aluminium for that project. I think the new AI vega setup is pretty slick and cost ~same price as the DIY setup.

Reef octopus Diablo DCRS 250ext - This thing has been amazing! I traded two 1.5" bulkheads for a external collection canister and that was the best trade ever. I fill up the collection canister every week and it is dark/wet skim.

Cliff
07-01-2013, 07:10 PM
I almost got a skimmer like that one. I have heard a lot of great things about them

You might want to try a different from of bio-pellets. I had great results in my 90 gallon set-up with the Vertex pellets. You could also place the return line from the reactor closer to your skimmer's intake to increase the effectiveness.

I also have the same return pump you are planning to up-grade to. They work great and are dead silent. A great investment for sure.

glarior
07-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Installed pump and some pics :-)

glarior
07-19-2013, 01:52 AM
More pics... enjoy

Cliff
07-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Looks like you eel is getting really big

How big is he now ?

glarior
07-19-2013, 02:26 AM
I would guess 30-36" and enough to take a finger Lol. Last meal was a fish about 6" long and a small squid.

glarior
07-30-2013, 03:39 AM
Update....

Removed a lot of rock and gave it an acid bath. Will post pics when I am finished with that project. I'm going to make some rock scapes and prevent rock fall.

With that said... the sting ray was crushed by a rock :-( poor little guy.

Happier news... the sulphur denitrator is awesome! Halfed my nitrates so far. I disturbed a lot of debris so the nitrites are up. Hopefully the k1 chamber will break it down to nitrates on the next few hours.

I setup the 120g tank for coral. Will post pics when done

That's all for now

Spardas
08-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Very nice work. I like the eel and the miniatus grouper.

glarior
11-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Well... its cold outside so started to finish the wall. Ive ordered more cement to finish the rock sculptures and thinking of changing out the sand to black. Thr hardest part to figure out is the picture frame trim I want and allow it to open. A friend mentioned use wood like a matte then very wide picture frame with European hinges. Ive yet to picture in my head what they meant but looking into it.

jeffs99dime
11-24-2013, 05:06 PM
That looks great! Is that rock board or sheet rock? For the frame, another question you could ask yourself is what kind of molding, if any, are you going to use to finish off the room? Maybe that would help you in deciding?

Cliff
11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Is that a strawberry grouper in there ?

glarior
11-24-2013, 08:57 PM
@cliff that is a miniatus grouper

I dont know what molding ill use or even the wall color lol. Material is green rock. Contemplated sealed wood, paneling, different sheet rocks and went with the green rock.

Triton
12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
This is still the one journal that has made me ever consider a SW tank. I love that eel

glarior
12-26-2013, 08:21 PM
I love the eel too. I also added a yellow head and another grouper

KevinVA
01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Impressive tanks glarior. Love this built and very impressed with your work. You're an inspiration to us all. :22:

That eel is pretty badass. Definitely the king of the tank. It's funny how there can be aggression in any aquarium, but it's just a more impressive form with big fish like yours. It also looks like the grouper and the eel are buddies now. Do they leave each other alone, pretty much, or do they still strut their stuff?

Triton
01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
told you it was awesome lol

KevinVA
01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
When you mentioned it, I was like "what the heck is he talking about? I never saw that!" I actually googled it and found it here. ;P Awesome... I would love that eel. Sucks your fiance doesn't like 'em. =/

glarior
01-22-2014, 03:23 PM
I dont know if the grouper and eel are friends or not. I usually feed them every 2-3 days and by the 3rd day they are all looking for food. Ive only seen one small mark on the grouper about a year ago but nothing since then. I laugh the grouper struts his/her dominance and when the eel had enough it comes out and makea a few laps then goes back to the pvc pipe.

I still cant make up my mind how to finish the wall lol.

Everything with the tank been doing great (knock on wood). Im still fighting nitrates. I think my denitrator setup was not right so I redid it this past weekend. Test it again in a few weeks.

Ordered a new ro/di setup with auto flush. My water is so poor even my big set does not last. The new unit has multiple tds monitors so I can determine which media is being used the fastest.

About all the update I have.

Anyone ever use other media to help keep the water free from phosphate or get clear water? Im wanting to find a use for the old ro filter setup vs getting rid of it.

KevinVA
01-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Well, you could convert one of your sump sections into a refugium for aquatic saltwater plants. Or, you could always start using phoszorb and nitrazorb, if the natural methods aren't working and you don't want a refugium.

KevinVA
01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
You could also build or buy a coil denitrator (or plenum). I imagine that since your tank is already established and the fish are enjoying their home, you'd probably opt for a coil denitrator or refugium, rather than a plenum. These work by establishing colonies of anaerobic nitrate oxidizing bacteria.

glarior
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
I have the 4002 Korallin BioDenitrator but had it setup wrong. Fixed that so should do the nitrate trick.

I have a 24"x8"x8" fuge... just been to lazy to setup the appropriate light after the old light broke lol. Im all about a sustainable ecosystem with out my help :-)

Cliff
01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Ordered a new ro/di setup with auto flush. My water is so poor even my big set does not last. The new unit has multiple tds monitors so I can determine which media is being used the fastest.

About all the update I have.

Anyone ever use other media to help keep the water free from phosphate or get clear water? Im wanting to find a use for the old ro filter setup vs getting rid of it.

Has you looked into GFO for that ?

You might be able to manually ad a cartridge with some after one or two carbon cartridges, taking the phosphate out of the water before hitting the rest of your RO filters

Don't know if that could even be done

KevinVA
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you have the solutions to your problem. You just need to implement them. ;P

glarior
01-22-2014, 04:30 PM
I was thinking gfo.

Surfdog
01-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Been away from forum fellow eel keeper! Reading this with interest. The stuff about the eel and grouper come as no surprise as it's been documented in the wild of cooperation when hunting between Morays and Groupers. Hope you post a video when all is done 😉

glarior
01-27-2014, 03:22 AM
I added another eel... think its a yellow head

Thats cool on thr grouper / eel. Didnt know that. Thanks for sharing

glarior
02-09-2014, 03:47 AM
How can I attach video?

glarior
02-09-2014, 03:50 AM

glarior
02-09-2014, 03:52 AM

glarior
02-09-2014, 03:53 AM
One day ill not be lazy and black out the back of the glass lol.

pRED
02-09-2014, 04:59 AM
One day ill not be lazy and black out the back of the glass lol.

Ditto^. Nice specimens and pics!

Cliff
02-09-2014, 11:44 AM
How can I attach video?

If you have the video on youtube, then all you need to do is copy and past the URL into a post

Great looking fish BTW !!!

KevinVA
02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Ditto. Beautiful fish. Lol, I didn't even notice the transparent background until you mentioned something.

glarior
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Ill have to wait till im at work to upload some video to youtube. If I remember ill post some short video tomorrow

Surfdog
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Just beautiful! Another one in contention when I go to the 300G. I'm capped right now with what I have on bio load. My guys have gotten pretty big, especially my black edge and one of the zebras. I am serious and will be getting a Dragon when I go 300. Preferably Hawaiian but Japanese is ok too 😀

Surfdog
02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Looks a lot like a honey comb moray. But like I said. Just beautiful.

glarior
02-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Looks a lot like a honey comb moray. But like I said. Just beautiful.

Yep honeycomb. I call it a Tessalata... reminds me of the Ferrari testarossa lol.

glarior
02-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Figured out how I can do a water change.... 32697

glarior
02-25-2014, 04:57 AM
Also just figured out something else.... take the 325g water tank plus four 55g drums with me to the coast will be cheaper than buying salt! For this water change ill spend $100 in salt not including filter media and water waste since I have two ro/di filters running right now. Lets say $150 for water change. I can take the truck to my favorite fishing spot and rent a room for the same price! Heck, when the weather is nice I can camp on the beach and save $100 bucks!

Cliff
02-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I would test dKH, Cal, and nitrates the sea water there first, just to be on the safe side. Those levels can be different in different areas of the ocean. I have never confirm this by completing tests for myself (being a 3 day drive from the ocean), but I have read about people finding different levels close to shore were fresh water run off mixes with the ocean water.

Lots of people use sea water with great success.

I wish I lived close enough to the ocean to try it as well

hockeyhead019
02-25-2014, 03:06 PM
What kind of truck do you drive? Just curious because that will be a ton of weight with all those tanks filled up

glarior
02-26-2014, 04:22 AM
Dodge diesel. Can handle 3500lbs in bed but my gooseneck can handle 12000lbs.

On another local forum there is a guy who gets his water from corpus christi canal and works great. Gave me advice to collect water when tide comes in, check the water with tests and check for any red/brown tide

glarior
02-26-2014, 05:31 AM
That was a fun 4 hour water change for only 200g. I wanted a bigger water change but a cold front and rain decided to mess with my plan.

Took least an hour heating water with the propane burners to bring the water to 78 degrees while the two cats laughed at me. Then the cold front started to come with wind and rain. Kept working through it and got shocked a few times from the circulating pumps and heaters.

All in all not a bad night of work and everything worked out so far. I am going to buy another barracuda gold pump to take with me to the ocean. The pumps I have just would take to long with that much head pressure.

glarior
02-26-2014, 06:58 PM
Finally got around to upload those videos I mentioned a few weeks ago. I did not edit anything... I hear the TV in the background lol.

The epaulette shark... Grow very quick! It is awesome watching eat a sardine... makes me think of jaws when it tears apart the fish lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY_pN8ooleE&feature=youtu.be

glarior
02-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Honestly, I have no idea what kind of fish this is lol. I believe is a grouper but not sure which one... do you know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-c076xuOO4&feature=youtu.be

glarior
What kind of eel is this.. I was thinking yellow head but then again I am not sure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3OVE2mCLQ&feature=youtu.be

glarior
No fish were harmed in the making of this video... just the eels pride was hurt lol. The eel came back later and ate the sardine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxaA3f0MjU&feature=youtu.be

glarior
My tessalata eel has grown a lot. I have had him almost two years. This is the one you never stick your hand in the tank when hungry. He could easily take a few fingers if he wanted to. Going to be a challenge moving him when I upgrade tanks in the following years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGoa9Flizmc

Slaphppy7
02-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Cool videos, thanks for sharing!...the last one is private though, could not watch it

glarior
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Try thr last one again I changed the setting

Triton
02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
that was funny, the eel is like "daaaaaad... he stole mine.... can i have another...?" lol

Are you allowed to take water from the ocean? I figured someone would have an issue with that

Triton
02-26-2014, 07:32 PM
For moving the eel, what about putting in a pvc pipe with a cap on 1 end, toss some fish in there and wait for him to go in and quickly cap the other end

Do it with like 6 - 8" PVC pipe

Slaphppy7
02-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Try thr last one again I changed the setting

Man he is gorgeous...thanks again

glarior
02-26-2014, 08:17 PM
that was funny, the eel is like "daaaaaad... he stole mine.... can i have another...?" lol

Are you allowed to take water from the ocean? I figured someone would have an issue with that I have another video with the eel getting the fish and the grouper stared into his 3"pvc pipe and was sad lol. The grouper use to swim through the eels 3"pvc tube. Yes its legal from what I have read and another post on my local forum. My local forum even has collecting trips to the jetty once a year... I can't wait! We are allowed to catch and keep/trade but not to sell. Obviously no endangered species

For moving the eel, what about putting in a pvc pipe with a cap on 1 end, toss some fish in there and wait for him to go in and quickly cap the other end

Do it with like 6 - 8" PVC pipe That's what I did last time... 3ft x3" PVC pipe. Wow, that has to be rough... go into your tube to sleep, feel the tube move and then in a new environment!

Man he is gorgeous...thanks again

Thank you! My favorite so far

Surfdog
02-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Cool video and yes, all my eels would ignore it if I did not hold it for them to take. Funny how they're alike in that regard....

KevinVA
02-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Honestly, I have no idea what kind of fish this is lol. I believe is a grouper but not sure which one... do you know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-c076xuOO4&feature=youtu.be

That was fast! Almost like a frog catching a fly.

KevinVA
02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
No fish were harmed in the making of this video... just the eels pride was hurt lol. The eel came back later and ate the sardine.

lol, poor guy. Thought it was easy pickins. ;]

KevinVA
02-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Love that Tessalata... Every time I see these eel videos, it makes me yearn for a big saltwater tank in the future. After a few days, I'll begin to think of the hassles of taking the plunge, but then I'll see another vid and I'm back in again. lol

William
02-27-2014, 10:18 PM
I feel tha same way. All though i have to admit that all though i love morays i get even more tempted by the groupers.

Nice fish!!!

William
02-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Are you allowed to take water from the ocean? I figured someone would have an issue with that

You are allowed to take water from the ocean in most area (limited amounts). Putting water back is however often a different story and is more commonly illegal since it can introduce diseases.

glarior
02-28-2014, 12:07 AM
They dont like you putting water back lol.

The various groupers are awesome color and personality

glarior
04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi Everyone... had another fun headache moment this past weekend. I was planning to go to the coast for fishing and water last Friday. However, I changed my mind after there was a really bad wreck on the interstate. Saturday morning I happened to wake up early and noticed my tank was blowing a lot of air. I knew the setup was full Friday night so that could only mean one thing..... something went wrong lol. I opened the door and the stupid skimmer overflowed the collection cup, waste collector and 5g bucket the waste container sits in. The rest went all over my table and floor. I have no idea what caused the problem. Maybe when I cleaned the cup a chunk of skimmate (spelling?) fell off.

I ordered the reef octopus auto shut off waste collection canister and collection cup cleaner. I know I am lazy lol.

The shark and eels are growing big so far!

I am looking at adding carbon and maybe GFO. Mainly for the reef tank cause I had algae bloom... guess I should do a water change lol.

KevinVA
04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Wow, how much water did you have overflow? Knowing you have very big tanks, things could get very wet. Glad all of the fish were ok, though.

glarior
04-16-2014, 07:38 PM
I guess about 30 gallons. Took just over 3 hours to add new ro/di water

KevinVA
04-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Man, that's tough. Hope nothing was ruined.

glarior
04-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Nope got very lucky on that part. If I went to the coast like I planned... who knows what could have happened.

Check out the power strip. That is the scariest part.

glarior
04-16-2014, 07:58 PM
33417 yikes!!!!!!!

KevinVA
04-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Oh, man. lol That could have been really bad. Good thing you were there to fix it.

Slaphppy7
04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Man, that could have been bad...did it trip a breaker?

glarior
04-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Nope nothing tripped! I smelt the burning while I was cleaning up the water. The strip was under the lip of the table and above ground but still got water in it. I dont know how it did not trip

Slaphppy7
04-16-2014, 08:19 PM
I don't know either, that's a short-out burn if ever there was one...glad nothing more serious occurred, a power strip is easy to replace, but a fire....man, that's scary...with that kind of luck, I think I'd pick up some lottery tickets, if I were you, LOL

Surfdog
04-20-2014, 05:36 PM
I noticed a on/off switch but no reset button. All my power bars near anything wet have a built in circuit breaker. Usually about 3 - 4 dollars more. Peace of mind as what happened to you could happen to anyone. Really glad it was not worse!