PDA

View Full Version : Arowana Fin Damage

fishery
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I was cleaning my tank and my Silver Arowana jumped out and landed on my table. I quickly grabbed him after wearing gloves that were on my table luckily and put him back in.

Well he was dazed for a few minutes and now he's fine swimming around.

I noticed one of his fins have been ripped in the event and is dangling while still attached to his body.

I think it's called the Pelvic fin but correct me if I am wrong.

I am sure it will detach from his body within a few days, but will it grow back?

I hope it does. :scry:

I have attached a pic that was taken 3 months ago, it doesn't show the damage, I am just indicating the fin that got damaged.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2z6ts2x.jpg

Crispy
10-03-2012, 12:28 PM
glad to hear he survived!

unfortunately the pelvic fins of the silver arowana are the hardest fins to grow back perfectly. smaller arowanas have a better chance of 100% healing these fins. the good news is that it will heal (with clean water and good foods) and in most arowanas can be hardly noticeable. it will most likely take months before it starts looking good again. all depending on the location and severity of the injury.

best of luck healing up your aro. they are monster fish and do act accordingly. :fish:

fishery
10-03-2012, 12:31 PM
glad to hear he survived!
smaller arowanas have a better chance of 100% healing these fins.

Does a 10 inch Aro count as small?:19:

Crispy
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Does a 10 inch Aro count as small?:19:

yes, 10" is small for an aro and barely a juvie yet. he will heal up good as long as he is in ideal conditions.

fishery
10-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Roger that.

Of all the fish I had my Silver Arowana was the one that I enjoyed the most.
I will try my best to keep the water pristine and give him good and varied food.

Hope he is well soon.:19:

I ll be doing a 30% water change right away.:ssmile:

Aeonflame
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Another thing. I would not advise using gloves to pick up your fish. Wet hands will be much better for their slime coat.

fishery
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I would have used my own hands for any other fish.:goldfish:
My idea of using gloves was selfish as the fish I was handling was an Aro and I didn't want to get bit on a gloomy Wednesday afternoon.:hmm3grin2orange:

Aeonflame
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Come on buddy... you gotta get tagged sometime or the other. Its not so bad... I got bitten by a wolf fish once. Oh and a moray eel

fishery
10-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I got bitten by a wolf fish once. Oh and a moray eel

Ouch! I understand, I ll try it with my wet hands next time he does Aerobatics out of the tank.

But I have heard that they are very slippery and it would be difficult to catch them with bare hands, just a myth?

Crispy
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
a 10" aro could hardly hurt. if you are scared of such a fish now, just wait till he is 3 feet and 7lbs! aros won't bite when they are gasping for air outside of the tank. only times I get bit is when I handfeed and they get a little anxious. as long as you were careful and he seems to be swimming/eating ok you should be fine. keep us posted. :fish:

Aeonflame
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
They can be a bit tricky. The important thing is to keep calm and use both hands firmly.