PDA

View Full Version : Flesh-eating bacteria on clown loach?

Annette
09-22-2007, 08:25 PM
I have an old clown loach that I'm very fond of; have had him for almost ten years now. A couple of weeks ago he had ich for the first time. I bought medicine and treated him, and he got better. But then, three days ago, I saw to my horror that he literally had chunks of his flesh missing. It was all so sudden, he seemed perfectly fine when I went to bed but looked horrid in the morning. I cleaned the tank and then put in ich medicine again just incase he'd had a relapse or something. Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/galerian_ash/randis1.jpg) is a photo of him from the side, and here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/galerian_ash/randis2.jpg) is a (blurry) close-up.

Three days later now, and he seems to be a bit more energetic... but he doesn't look any better. In fact, it almost looks like it's getting worse. He's getting these dark spots on his body, and I'm terrified that they'll evolve into big holes like the ones on his head. I haven't been able to get any good pics of the dark spots though, sorry -- he's apparently sick of me staring at him all the time, cause he hides as soon as I get close.

Does anyone know what this is? Should I be treating him with something other than ich medicine? Anything at all? I'm really worried, so any input at all will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

squirt_12
09-22-2007, 08:35 PM
how big is the tank?
what fish are in there with him?

I am not sure what it is but like if you give like the tank size and stuff someone else might know.

Dave66
09-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Botia DO NOT respond well to ich medicine. For goodness sake, do a large partial water change, and change out the carbon in your filter. You are injurying your loach with the ich medicine.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 12:36 AM
I agree. I think his skin has been burned.

Annette
09-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

I don't really know what to say, this comes as a big surprise to me. The pet store didn't mention anything about this, nor have I read anything about ich medicine being dangerous for this kind of fish (I mean, how are you supposed to treat them then?). Even the instruction pamphlet that came with the medicine didn't mention anything of the sort, besides saying to halve the dose for scale-less fish like botia.

What's more is that two days after treating his ich, I completely cleaned out the aquarium and changed all the water. I didn't want the fishes swimming around in blue medicinated water when no one was sick anymore. So that would mean that the burns appeared on his body weeks after being treated and having had the entire water changed.

Still, I will of course do as suggested! I feel terrible knowing that I might've been the one to hurt him :scry:

Dave66
09-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Botia are scaleless fish, thus are VERY sensitive to medication. Use a half-dose with them. A better cure is a salt water dip. Mix up some marine water in a clear container, raise it to the temp of your main tank, and allow the infected loach to swim around in it a few minutes, or until it shows distress. The fish can handle the marine water a few minutes, the parasites can not.
The reason the lesions took time to appear is they are, for lack of a better word, scabs, the fish suffered from the full strength medication burns.
Live and learn, Annette. Keep in mind your fish store just wants to sell you the medication; telling you about the sensitivity of scaleless fish to it may have cost them the sale.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
And also many people working in these stores have no knowledge of what these medications do themselves. Your loach may have had small blisters that really didn't appear until the blisters popped and as Dave said, scabs appeared.

The ick's cycle is about 5 days. They reproduce on the bottom once they fall off the fish. If you need to treat the whole tank, turn your heat to about 82 and treat with aquarium salt but if you are unable to remove the loach, use only half the recommended amount of salt or even 1/3 since he already has wounds. Loaches don't like salt, either, so if you can remove him from the tank for 5 days, that would help.

I do hope the ick is gone and just good clean water will help his wounds heal.

I'm curious what size he is at 10 years? I have 5 clowns and they are about 4 inches at 2 years old.

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/fish/medication/ich/102867.asp

Something like this may help if it should happen again.

Dave66
09-23-2007, 08:04 PM
And also many people working in these stores have no knowledge of what these medications do themselves. Your loach may have had small blisters that really didn't appear until the blisters popped and as Dave said, scabs appeared.

The ick's cycle is about 5 days. They reproduce on the bottom once they fall off the fish. If you need to treat the whole tank, turn your heat to about 82 and treat with aquarium salt but if you are unable to remove the loach, use only half the recommended amount of salt or even 1/3 since he already has wounds. Loaches don't like salt, either, so if you can remove him from the tank for 5 days, that would help.

I do hope the ick is gone and just good clean water will help his wounds heal.

I'm curious what size he is at 10 years? I have 5 clowns and they are about 4 inches at 2 years old.

Took mine four years to reach a foot long.

Dave