PDA

View Full Version : Do guppies like fast current?

Dtitus1
09-17-2012, 07:12 PM
I keep finding conflicting answers to this, and while mine seem to like it, I have a really strong current in my tank (with zones I've designed with low current of course). I've had 3 guppies this month that jumped out which is unusual for my tank, so I'm wondering if they don't actually like it.

I was considering putting glo-fish in there instead, which I know should be ideally in a 20 but with the fast current I was thinking maybe they would do fine.

I guess my question is a three parter so I'll rephrase:

Do guppies like fast flow?/ Why might they be commiting seppuku?

Would glofish work?

What other fish might work for my tank? (Its the one in my picture so they have to be colorful)

It's a 10 gallon with a tetra whisper 10i and mini max 5 gallon filter and I keep three guppies and 1 albino cory cat (i'm getting another soon I know the whole argument about corys but albinos are blind anyways so they don't seem to care too much about company). Also this doesnt count the fish that jump out I only have 2 guppies at the moment.

Lady Hobbs
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
I would not think so. They swim at the top of the tank where all the current is the strongest, as well. Glo-fish are very active swimming. Like all danio's, not so sure a 10 would be adequate for them.

Indian Woods Angels
09-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Nope, it exhausts them.

koaladarshana
09-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Does your tank have a lid? That should keep the guppies from jumping out. Since you asked what else might work in a 10 g... Some endlers livebearers, pygmy cories or celestial pearl danios might work well. Also, you really should rehome that pleco in your 15 g tank to a larger home; he is going to get too large for that tank.

sheamurai
09-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Any of the finnier fish have trouble with high flow. They have to work pretty hard to get anywhere with all the extra finnage. Rest spots help, and they can acclimitise to a certain degree, but if you're getting jumpers they are trying to escape something - either their tankmate(s), or the conditions in the tank.

Dtitus1
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Well so far I'm doing fine now the guppy i have left seems to be fine since I got rid of the one that was being really aggressive. There is a lid and the one I have in there now seems exceedingly happy playing in the current all day (he will be getting a friend after I re-do my catfish situation). I redid ornaments to create more low-flow zones and used them and some java moss to make a cave for 3 false juliis I'm going to use to replace my albino, which I know isn't ideal but pygmys are impossible to find and my Gf got upset when I said I was getting rid of her catfish.

As far as the pleco goes I know it's not ideal, but that's her moms tank in our living room I take care of and she wants a pleco for it. At the very least I have a deal with my LFS to trade him in when he gets big. Hopefully I can get her to agree to at least a clown or rubberlip. I am now part of a very stubborn family that doesnt always listen to my advice...

Westbeef
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Sorry for the bump of a slightly old thread, but my guppies were swimming against the current of my filter a lot. They were struggling against it though so I dropped the current down a great deal, they seem much happier now. All swimming around together in formation, instead of sitting at the top of the tank trying to swim against a current and struggling :).

newtoshrimps
11-06-2012, 01:51 AM
I have an area with high current (but I have a 20 gallon). Some guppies like to "ride the wave". But they also need an area of no current to rest.

I had a pleco that would attack my guppies (had to get rid of the pleco).

Albino cories are fine with guppies... they will ignore guppies (at least mine do).

Zander
11-06-2012, 02:15 AM
In my experience fish with long fins dislike current. The long fins give them the benefit of being more mobile in slow or not moving water. The disadvantage is in a high current they are swept up in the current much more significantly. The fins act kind of like a sail on a boat.

Fish that dislike high current would be bettas, guppies, gouramis, long finned varieties of tetras and mollies, etc.

steeler58
11-06-2012, 06:07 AM
+ 1 to Zander, Guppies in the wild live in slow sluggish moving streams and ponds.