PDA

View Full Version : Pictus Catfish

Nick89
09-21-2007, 06:09 PM
In one of my other threads, I was getting other ideas other than a oscar. SO could someone answer my following questions.

1. How big do they really get? (ive read 12 inches)
2. How long does it take for them to get to their full size?
3. Can they be housed in a 55 gallon aquarium??
4. Are they highly aggressive??
5. What do they like to eat?
6. Can they be kept with other aquarium fish?
7. And my final question, are they active fish?

Dave66
09-21-2007, 08:07 PM
1. Up to 12 inches. Usually stay around 8 inches, though.
2. Depends on the space and the food. Usually between a year and year and a half.
3. No.
4. Not against fish they don't intend to eat. Somewhat when breeding.
5. Anything meat/meat & vegtable. DON"T FEED THEM LIVE FISH!
6. Yes, those that don't fit in their mouths.
7. Very much.

Dave

gm72
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Completely agreed with Dave's responses there.

Fishguy2727
09-21-2007, 11:33 PM
What species are we talking about here?

Pimelodus pictus hits about 4.5". Other species can hit closer to 12". If it is the species listed, usually called spotted pictus or spotted pimelodus, than they like to be in schools (three or more), are very active when not hiding, carnivorous (NLS woudl be ideal, as always), and could do well in a 55 with lots of swimming space on the bottom in addition to hiding areas (PVC pipe connectors would be perfect), along with fish that won't bother them and are too big to fit in their mouth.

Nick89
09-21-2007, 11:38 PM
ok......if the fish gets to 8 inches how can he not go in a 55 gallon??????? i must be missing something.

gm72
09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Aquakid, you are missing the fact that the pictus cat, as Dave has already stated, is a very active swimmer. An 8" fish (or as we have already established as being preferable, a small school of such) would need a lot of room in which to swim. They are very active and very fast.

Nick89
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
yes but ive searched and a lot of people have said ( i think including you) that they would need a 4ft tank. a 55 gallon is 4 ft.

Drumachine09
09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Once again. Just because someone says it works, doesn't eat it will work for you. General aquarium principals were not founded on personal anecdotes.

Also, Spotted Pims will uproot decor. They like to rearange stuff.

Nick89
09-22-2007, 12:07 AM
well i give up then.. there is no fish that gets to a relatively good size and that is aggressive that id want. I have no clue what to do.

gm72
09-22-2007, 12:16 AM
You have been given some outstanding ideas here. I am not sure what else you are looking for.

Nick89
09-22-2007, 12:31 AM
yes i have and i thank everyone for putting up with me lol. I just want to have a cool tank. Ok GM if you were in my shoes, and had a 55 gallon tank what would you have done to it? as in what type of fish?

gm72
09-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Rainbow tank. Or a pair of Jacks.

Nick89
09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
well id go with the jacks but as i have stated before, none of the LFS around here sell them which i have no idea. And what do you mean of a rainbow tank>

cocoa_pleco
09-22-2007, 12:38 AM
i made my 55g a heavily planted community tank. i like to make larger tanks communities since you can always add a extra fish or two without hurting the bio-load.

gm72
09-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Rainbows, as in Rainbow fish.

Cocoa also has a great point. Large communities allow you to add fish or swap them out to other tanks if you so choose.

YaYgoldFish
09-22-2007, 01:50 AM
How about red tail black shark?

gm72
09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Could do that, too, but be cautious of tankmates as those sharks can get aggressive, especially as they get older.

YaYgoldFish
09-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Well from this link:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/redshark.htm

They usualy are only aggressive towards the same species, so its best to only have one of these guys. If you get fish that don't pick on them, their shouldn't be aggression. Although, he might become territorial as he gets bigger so just keep a couple plants, wood, and rock formations to give him some hiding spots.
They can be with barbs and rainbows, if theres enough hiding places.

If i were in your shoes. Id go with firemouths or other ccihlids but an other idea would be the red tail black shark as your centerpiece fish(once it gets to adult size it stands out well) with a couple of community fish(check list on site).

Dave66
09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Well from this link:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/redshark.htm

They usualy are only aggressive towards the same species, so its best to only have one of these guys. If you get fish that don't pick on them, their shouldn't be aggression. Although, he might become territorial as he gets bigger so just keep a couple plants, wood, and rock formations to give him some hiding spots.
They can be with barbs and rainbows, if theres enough hiding places.

If i were in your shoes. Id go with firemouths or other ccihlids but an other idea would be the red tail black shark as your centerpiece fish(once it gets to adult size it stands out well) with a couple of community fish(check list on site).

Odd, the P, since pictus cats school in their thousands every evening in nature. In aquariums, if you keep a group of six or more, there are no problems.

Dave

YaYgoldFish
09-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Pictus cats or the Red tail black sharks?

Dave66
09-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Pictus. Lost my mind, as I didn't read the change of thread lol.

Dave

Nick89
09-22-2007, 03:17 AM
Well, im not really attracted towards the red tail black sharks. What about perhaps something like....the black belt cichlid, or something?? I guess what im trying to do is have one fairly large as in 10'' as my main attraction fish then have some other fish in there like firemouths or maybe even some of those blue rams? im out of ideas lol but if im spending the money i want to make sure all the stuff i put in it will be compatible with the size tank.

gm72
09-22-2007, 01:47 PM
We appreciate your dedication to ensuring your fish are wholly compatible with the tank size you are planning. German blue rams and firemouths are spectacular fish, but I have never kept them.

The black belt cichlid as far as I remember must be kept in a tank with other fish that aren't too small or passive. I'm not sure it would do well with the blue rams.

Nick89
09-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Well i went to the petstore today and i came accross a tank of green terrors. (they were 15 bucks per fish and they werent full grown). there was this one GT that was a good size lots of color like a rainbowish color on his tail fin when he turned a certain way, and had orange around his fins. beautiful fish. and they had the red devils which i was very attracted too as well.

Nick89
09-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Well i think i might go with a red devil for my 55 gallon. The one i keep watching at the petstore is just hilarious. He could be staring at me for one second, then another second just turn around and chase this other red devil lol. Hes constantly nipping everyone and hes always pushing into the other guys. theres 2 maybe 3'' red devils (the biggest oness) and one has a lot of nipped fins and the other has no damage what so ever(guess which one isnt getting beat up lol). So i know which one i want and i cant wait. But heres my question when i set my tank up how long do i have to wait for the cycle process in order to get the fish in my tank without harming him?? (just 1 fish) I have well water (dont know if that helps). This fish really amazes me and i really want him. i figure i could get my new tank cleaned with gravel maybe by next saturday or earlier im not sure.

gm72
09-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Please refer to the stickly post about fishless cycling and follow the instructions therein.

freshwaterfishlover
09-23-2007, 03:59 AM
I have a Pictus in my 45g and I am giving it to my LFS tomorrow 75G or more for Pictus.

SpaceBison
12-22-2007, 06:50 PM
My polkadoted pictus catfish is always swiming around really fast. Is he scared or what because I can't figure out why he is doing it?

SpaceBison
12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
I figured out why he was doing that. He had white fungus spots on him and he was trying to itch it off. So I got some medicine for it so I'm good.