PDA

View Full Version : Cliff's 120 gallon FOWLR(ish) tank

Pages : 1 [2]

Cliff
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
You got that right. It's a painfully long process and a lot of extra work, but I would never skip it and risk the health of my fish. All it takes is one infected fish to get into the tank, and I could loose all the fish that I have been keeping in this set-up for years now.

And I know what you mean Compass. There are many SW angles (both dwarf and full bodied). Too bad most of the full bodied ones need a larger 6 foot long tank. One day I will have a set-up with a regal angel (from the Red Sea).

Compass
07-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh that is a nice fish! I also like the Emperor Angel as well. Your Majestic angel is on my short list though I still haven't researched which fish are reef safe and which aren't. Though I know that also depends on what corals you plan to keep as well. I know everyone is crazy about the SPSs but I'm digging the Zoanthids (sp?) myself. Saw a tank dominated by them it was very impressive.

Compass
07-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Do you have a journal on your reef tank?

Compass
07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Never mind I found it (them)!

Cliff
07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Oh that is a nice fish! I also like the Emperor Angel as well. Your Majestic angel is on my short list though I still haven't researched which fish are reef safe and which aren't. Though I know that also depends on what corals you plan to keep as well. I know everyone is crazy about the SPSs but I'm digging the Zoanthids (sp?) myself. Saw a tank dominated by them it was very impressive.

It can be a little tough to accurately tell who will nip at corals and who will not. Sometimes you can get lucky. For example, majectic angles are not classified as reef safe. Mine will nip at all corals that are not green in color, leave any green coral in the tank completely untouched. Don't ask me why, but maybe he thinks they're just not ripe yet ??? All other corals that I have tried with him all got nipped a little before I moved them out of the tank.

You also have to understand what makes up a "not reef safe" rating sometimes. Take lionfish for example, they are classified as not reef safe. They will never touch any corals, but the will eat smaller fish and shrimp that are members of a typical CUC which can be required to keep a reef tank safe/better suited for corals.

Compass
07-16-2014, 07:12 PM
It can be a little tough to accurately tell who will nip at corals and who will not. Sometimes you can get lucky. For example, majectic angles are not classified as reef safe. Mine will nip at all corals that are not green in color, leave any green coral in the tank completely untouched. Don't ask me why, but maybe he thinks they're just not ripe yet ??? All other corals that I have tried with him all got nipped a little before I moved them out of the tank.

You also have to understand what makes up a "not reef safe" rating sometimes. Take lionfish for example, they are classified as not reef safe. They will never touch any corals, but the will eat smaller fish and shrimp that are members of a typical CUC which can be required to keep a reef tank safe/better suited for corals.

I see, I see. I'll remember this for later.

Cliff
07-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Just a quick QT tank up-date

No more physical signs of ick, and the fish are eating really well. They are still flashing a little, but the copper can also cause them some irritation making them flash. I'm really hopefully the ick is completely gone now. The next 4 to 6 weeks will be the true test I guess

Compass
07-18-2014, 01:23 AM
Awesome news Cliff! Here's hoping!

gronlaura
07-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Thank goodness!

Cliff
07-19-2014, 02:06 PM
This is the part about using a QT tank that I hate the most. When I went to check on the QT'd fish this morning, they swam right up to the glass, almost begging for food. They are acting so normal now, I just want to put them in the main tank right away. However, I'm not going to do that as I know I have yet to kill off all of the ick virus that is still laying dormant in the QT tank.

Sooooooooooo frustrating, but worth it

Compass
07-19-2014, 02:21 PM
This is the part about using a QT tank that I hate the most. When I went to check on the QT'd fish this morning, they swam right up to the glass, almost begging for food. They are acting so normal now, I just want to put them in the main tank right away. However, I'm not going to do that as I know I have yet to kill off all of the ick virus that is still laying dormant in the QT tank.

Sooooooooooo frustrating, but worth it

Yeah I understand. They look perfectly fine so you want to put them in there home. I just set up my QT tank for some silver hatchetfish. I'm not the best when it comes to QTing, but since these are wild caught I want to make sure they aren't going to bring anything in. Would you recommend dosing for parasites right away? I know the go to is PraziPro but I won't be able to get that as my LFS doesn't stock it. Would other parasite killers do just fine? I think they have some API brand stuff.

fishmommie
07-19-2014, 03:11 PM
hang in there Cliff. You and your new and old fish will be glad you did.

Cliff
07-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys !

Would you recommend dosing for parasites right away? I know the go to is PraziPro but I won't be able to get that as my LFS doesn't stock it. Would other parasite killers do just fine? I think they have some API brand stuff.

I always give a single treatment to all new fish (SW & FW) just before taking them out of QT. To be perfectly honest with you, I would never use any other anti-parasite meds other than Prazi-pro. This is the only reef safe med out there that is still highly effective. I has to be pretty easy for the fish to be able to handle if you can use it in a tank with SPS corals and carpet anemones.

I would suggest to order on line and have it shipped to you before you try other meds that will most likely not be a easy for your fish to deal with

Compass
07-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks cliff. Fortunantly the LFS had no parasite meds. So I didn't get any. I'll order some Prazi. Got the hatchets acclimating in QT right now.

Cliff
07-19-2014, 10:07 PM
That's great news Compass, even more so considering the day you are having :14:

Compass
08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Hey Cliff! How are your QT'd fish doing? Ready to go to the main tank yet?

Cliff
04-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Due to some recent health problems, I have decided to sell this set-up and all of the inhabitants

It was really tough to see these fish go, but I know the new owner so I know they will be properly cared for.

Rue
04-06-2015, 04:19 AM
I hope you are okay!!!

cosmicgabe
04-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Hope you're okay Cliff!

Slaphppy7
04-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear this Cliff, hope your health issues are not too serious.

showmebutterfly
04-06-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Cliff, but hope you are feeling well again soon and am glad that you are able to rehome the inhabitants to someone you trust. :grouphug:

fishmommie
04-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Again, I'm so sorry that your health problems have made it necessary to sell this tank as well. Nothing like a health scare to make you realize how much work is involved with these tanks :o()
Hope you're on the mend for good.
So - that leaves the 180?

Boundava
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Agree with everyone above, hope you are on the road to recovery and glad you were able to rehome your tank/fish to someone you know/trust.

wgoldfarb
04-06-2015, 05:46 PM
I just read you are also selling your FW planted setup. I hope your health issues are nothing serious, and you'll recover quickly.

Are you keeping your 180 SW tank?

gronlaura
04-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Sorry to hear this news. Hope things turn around real soon.

darkmerlin21
04-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Sorry you have to do this but your health is definitely more important. Hope things get better for you soon!

Cliff
04-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys. I still have the 180. I will keep this one as it requires the least amount of maintenance. I just could not complete the 90 gallons worth or water changes using 5 gallon buckets that was needed to keep all three tanks health and happy. I put far too much time, money, and effort into this set-up and the fish to allow my fish to live in less than ideal conditions when I know other hobbyist who can care for them just like I did, and really wanted them.

I should be back up to full strength in 6 to 8 months. I am already finding myself thinking about the next tank I will set-up.

Slaphppy7
04-07-2015, 12:55 AM
Gadzooks Cliff, siphons are all the rage nowadays, they made buckets useless :14:

Cliff
04-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Draining the water out is not the problem. Getting the mixed salt water from the mixing containers into the sump is the challenge :-(

Slaphppy7
04-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Ahhhh...a salty thing...that's why I misunderstood the situation

SomethingIsFishy
04-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Hope your recovery goes well...