PDA

View Full Version : Clown Plecos

Dave Kovensky
09-20-2007, 02:12 AM
In reading about Clown Plecos, I have gotten conflicting views regarding their algae-eating abilities. All the write-ups agree on their need for sunken wood in their diet, but some writers state that they will clean up algae of all sorts and other writers state emphatically that they will not touch any algae. I just got one for my 40 gallon well planted aquarium for algae control and wonder if it will do this job. Appreciate any comments!

Dave66
09-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Those that say they don't touch algae are those that accidently trained them to eat prepared fish foods. They naturally eat algae, small crustaceans in it, the biofilm on driftwood and fruits and vegtables.
Since they are nocturnal by nature, it will happily eat your algae at night.

Dave

DaleJr08
10-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I just bought one of these little guys the other day and like him alot. What kind of algea will they eat? lol hopefully they like what i have.

John

cocoa_pleco
10-09-2007, 02:38 AM
mine at regular wafers

A340
10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
As much as I love my Clown Pleco, he doesn't do a very good job with algae. The odd time, he'll be on the rock chowin' down but most of the time he'll just stick himself to the driftwood. The 2 Oto's I threw in the other day have done a better job then the clown all month. Lazy bugger ... :hmm3grin2orange:

TowBoater
10-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree, when I had mine he didn't eat much algae and stayed hidden all the time, all he needed was it his stump.

DaleJr08
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
The way I see it, if I just don't give him anything else to eat, he has to eat it. He won't starve to death because thats what he is suppost to be eating, right lol

John