PDA

View Full Version : hospital tank for my clown loaches..

uragon12
09-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Ok hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this question.. My loach just got the ick so I plan on quarantining him into a hospital tank and administer him medicine.. but I have not establish the tank.. How long would it take for me to seed the tank with gravel and a little bit of filter sponge. the hospital tank is a 2 gallon tank...Where can I get amonia to put into the tank....Thank you in advance...

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
You need to treat the whole tank as the ick falls off and breed on the tank bottom. You'll still have ick in the main tank.

Ick needs to be treated right away or it will get in their gills.

PS. Raise your tank temp to around 84 and use aquarium salt. NOT table salt. Loaches are scaleless so use half the dose recommended.

cocoa_pleco
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
hobbs is right. after it falls off its host, it goes to a free swimming pain in the arse and can go to all your fish, and wipe them out. then, after they become free swimming, you probably need to tear down the tank and bleach it.

do use salt and higher temps. like hobbs said, and if possible set up a hospital tank with gravel from your current tank to have as a backup if any fish are extremely sick, then use a ick medicine

uragon12
09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
thanks everyone for the help....anyone know where I can buy pure amonia...

cocoa_pleco
09-19-2007, 09:41 PM
some wal-marts, and grocery and hardware stores

uragon12
09-21-2007, 03:20 AM
ok, got my temperature to about 85 and added half the recommended amount of salt. I also got quick cure, would it hurt if I put that in.. My tank is not fully cycled yet...and Im pretty sure thats how the ich attack the loach cause he was pretty stressed out... would it be safe to remove my carbon filter to administer the quick cure... Im all lost at this crap...feel so ignorant.....thanks for those who have help.....