PDA

View Full Version : White spots on my loaches??

uragon12
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Well this guys been having a hard time as it is... I was sure if he was going to survive the cycle...I made a mistake and put fishes in without proper cycling but thank god for Turbo Start.. I have a thread in the beginner forum that tells all about it... For the past fews days he hasnt been himself lately. He stays up during the day now and on the right side of the tank constantly swims up and down in one spot.. He doesnt really eat much.. Everytime I feeed the rest of the fishes he kinda misses out.. I bought some bottom feeder shrimp but he doesnt seem to want to eat that either.. Im not sure if he is even eating though.. every once in a while he start going to the gravel as if he is eating algae of it I dont know but he just doesnt seem right. Tom make matters worst he has got spots all over this body. As if he has chicken pox but white....Any one know what that is and how I can help him. Thank you in advance....

gm72
09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Ich, and you have to be careful treating it as the loach is a scaleless fish.

uragon12
09-17-2007, 09:57 PM
thanks qm72, any good references on how to treat this on loaches...Thanks in advance..

gm72
09-17-2007, 10:24 PM
No references other than this site, honestly. Use half-strength malachite green-containing meds. Raise your temp to around 85 degrees (this speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite and allows it to leave the host faster).

Lady Hobbs
09-18-2007, 12:57 AM
I would probably opt to use tank salt with higher temps with half dose of salt instead of full strength. Loaches don't take to medication well nor salt for that matter so whatever you decide to use, please use less than recommended.

They are suspecible to ick as they root around where the ick reproduce, which is on the bottom of the tank. Ick falls off the fish, fall to the bottom and reproduce there. The life cycle is about 5 days so when you no longer see the ick on the fish, let the treatment continue for a few more days.

Arkie
09-18-2007, 02:06 AM
i had white spot on my loaches a few weeks ago, i used a white spot medication "aquamaster rapid white spot remedy". i did the dosage for loaches and did the treatment fot a week and they have all recovered nicely.

uragon12
09-18-2007, 05:54 AM
thank you much from the help...I plan on getting a hospital tank and treat him there....thanks everyone for the great inputs...