PDA

View Full Version : Plant advice

Mountainlion63
07-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Hello everyone! I would like to start keeping live plants in my tank and need some advice. My tank is a 29 gallon with 3 harliquins, 2 platys, and 2 juli cories. What kinds of plants will work for this tank?(I don't care if there root plants or not I just didn't know were to put this) Also i've heard that plants can help control uneaten fish food and scat by "eating" them. Is this true and if it is what kinds of plants do this best? Thanks for your help!

Lady Hobbs
07-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Plants do not control uneaten food but uneaten food turns into fertilizer for the roots. If you want plants, you will need a plant light for them to grow, tho.

escamosa
07-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Yep, a little bit of light doesn't hurt. It's the nitrates that are produced by left over food and the fish poop that the plants live on. I always recommend Java Fern to anyone that is just starting out with live plants. It's very easy to look after. It doesn't need much light, and you don't really plant it. All have to have is a couple of rocks or pieces of driftwood to attach to, and that's it. thumbs2:

Mountainlion63
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Darn it, this is the 2nd time this week i've been wrong about somthing! I've got to get a new aquarium book. Anyways thanks for the advice. I will try java ferns. Were's the best place to get a plant light? Are there any other good beginer plants? Thanks for the advice!:22: