PDA

View Full Version : will my violet goby get over shyness?

Incredulous_Ed
05-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Recently I bought a small violet goby (dragon fish). He is very shy. He'll swim around but when I come into the room he'll sink to the bottom. he also swims around at night but when i turn on the light he goes straight to the bottom of the tank. the only way I can feed him is at night when he's swimming around. and I have to do it in the dark. will he overcome this shyness?

Full3R
05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Gobys are very shy fish but it should eventually get use to it, when your bored or just wanna watch the tank sit next to it on a chair and it might get use to you being there, thats what i did with my convicts, also, add multiple hiding spots so if it feels to threatened it can quickly hide and then it knowing there is numerous spots to retreat to it will only crap it self and hide if you are sticking your hands in the tank

Incredulous_Ed
05-31-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks. He always hides out in one corner of the tank. We have a bunch of PVC pipes in our backyard are these safe for aquariums?

Also, are violet gobys nocturnal?

Full3R
05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I ALWAYS use PVC pipe in fact my convicts have bred in them before just put them in hot water for about 10 minutes and give them a good wash (dont use harmful chemicals to the fish) as for them being nocturnal i dont think their nocturnal as much as they just dont like bright lights and if you've recently bought him then hes probably just getting settled

Incredulous_Ed
05-31-2006, 09:36 PM
ok thanks alot. I have another question:

If the violet goby's eyesight is supposed to be terrible, than how does he sense when I come into the room?

Full3R
06-01-2006, 07:43 AM
If hes like my ghost knife they can sense light change very well, like saying when u turn the light on and your shadow crosses the tank or even walking the vibrations way shake the tank slightly not enough for us to feel but the fish yes

Incredulous_Ed
06-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I see.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it

Full3R
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
your welcome anytime

William
06-03-2006, 02:49 AM
IS he alone in the tank and if not what do you keep him with?

Incredulous_Ed
06-03-2006, 05:21 AM
two common goldfish and a shubunkin

William
06-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok. well those should help him get the courage to start showing himself.