PDA

View Full Version : Anacharis and Wisteria dying

jtrain252
05-28-2012, 11:27 PM
my fairly new Anacharis and Wisteria i bought at petsmart are turning clear leaves, brown leaves and falling off. I use Seachem Flourish plants have been in tank 3 days. dont seem to be getting better. Could it be a deficiancy???

madagascariensis
05-28-2012, 11:48 PM
maybe they are acclimating to your tank. Hornwort for instance, is notorious for shedding all leaves when moved to different water conditions, but new ones eventually regrow.

Goes to 11!
05-28-2012, 11:59 PM
+1

Three days is nothing, Slow down, Don't panic and give them a few weeks to settle in and acclimate. :22:

jtrain252
06-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok its been 1 full week, they still look as though they are struggling i have them floating none are planted. One wisteria has a lot of roots but has black tiny spots and leaves are brittle. They other two wisteria have leaves but no roots. Same with anacharis, leaves are going clear still and has a tiny root. Should i do anything or just continue to let them go. I use 1ml of flourish in my 10 gallon a week

dbosman
06-03-2012, 02:41 AM
What temperature is your tank?
Both plants prefer cooler water.

Seachem Flourish is a product line, not a single product. I'm guessing you're referring to Comprehensive, but what specific product are you using?
If you are using Seachem Flourish - Excel, stop for now and purchase new plants.

Brhino
06-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Seachem Flourish is a product line, not a single product. I'm guessing you're referring to Comprehensive, but what specific product are you using?
If you are using Seachem Flourish - Excel, stop for now and purchase new plants.

right! Excel is lethal to some plants. Anacharis is one of them, not sure about wisteria. That was my first guess before I even saw if you were dosing anything or not.

jtrain252
06-03-2012, 04:26 AM
Im using Seachem Flourish comprehensive, not excel the CO2 thing. um tank is about 76 degrees,light is on 12 hours a day t8 15 watt full spectrum. All 3 wisteria are floating along with anacharis. Plants are green just seem very brittle and not really growing roots :( might try moss maybe id have better luck and skip everthing else lol

dbosman
06-05-2012, 12:53 AM
76 degrees is a bit warm for both plants. If you start at lower temps, then increase slowly, they should do better for you.
Eight hours light with more light quality would be better as well.
When I was a kid, decades ago, I raised a LOT of elodea or anacharis using a combination of one fluorescent strip light and one incandescent strip light.

Seachem Fourish Comprehensive is fine, at the recommended dosing.
I suggest adding Seachem Flourish Trace, about once a week.

If you go for mosses, I suggest skipping java moss. It grows too easily and just seems to expand over time until one day the tank is full. If you want to grow java moss, try a pickle jar on a window sill. Christmas, flame, willow, there are lots of others. If you want a mass to grow fry in, guppy grass (najas species) works really well. Until it clogs the intake on the filter.

jtrain252
06-05-2012, 03:11 AM
im just looking for a nice plant that will cover my log i have in the center of the tank. As far as the lighting the hood i have has one Flourescent bulb in it. T-8 Full spectrum 15 watt. I havent been able to find a dual hood to fit a 20in long 10 gallon aquarium so im stuck witht hat. Light is currently running 12 hours. and im using comprehensive once a week like a quarter of a cap full.

Im bad at planning decorations i just think moss would look nice on the log and wisteria seems to be the only thing that will work in my tank thats bushy

dbosman
06-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Anubias get bushy. Sort of. Clumps of bacopa makes a great bush. It has to be cut back and replanted when it curls over the top and starts across the top of the tank.