PDA

View Full Version : New arowana species !!!!

William
04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
A new species of arowana has been discovered and described. Scleropages inscriptus as the new species is called originates from Myanmar and was collected in the Tananthayi River basin on the Indian Ocean coast of peninsular Myanmar. I will try to write more about it later.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949401/cage/Scleropages-inscriptus.jpg

KingFisher
04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Awesome. Those ornate markings look very interesting.

Demjor19
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Very cool William! Thanks for sharing! Hmmm....Now, how to get my hands on one??? LOL!

William
04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
That is easy. Just outbid the asian collectors that will pay HIIIIIGGGHHHH prices for them. Or go to the Tananthayi River basin. Thre is bound to be a year or two before the goverment catches up and put export restrictions on it.

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
I knew Demjor would see this thread immediately. LOL That Silver Arowana is awesome. Looks like lace.

ScottishFish
04-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow . . . . That is pretty!! Wonder what a red variety of this species would look like :hmm3grin2orange:

Allecto
04-18-2012, 06:51 PM
So beautiful!

Crispy
04-18-2012, 07:32 PM
actually, this arowana has been around for awhile, although it is rare. just google 'nami green arowana' or 'snakeskin arowana'. seems tropical fish hobbyist or whichever magazine is a little behind on the times? :fish:

Demjor19
04-18-2012, 08:19 PM
actually, this arowana has been around for awhile, although it is rare. just google 'nami green arowana' or 'snakeskin arowana'. seems tropical fish hobbyist or whichever magazine is a little behind on the times? :fish:

I believe the Green Arowana is part of the "Asian Arowana" group - Scleropages formosus

William
04-18-2012, 08:26 PM
This species was presented april 15th by aqua, International Journal of Ichthyology
http://www.aqua-aquapress.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=527&category_id=115&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

William
04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
There is some argument in whether this is the green/nami/batik arowana that has been out in the market for a while or not. Some believe it is, other that this is another similar species. Mainly because the green supposedly comes from malaysia whiles this was collected in Myanmar.

However usually the fish comes into the trade before it gets a scientific name so who knows....

Crispy
04-18-2012, 09:59 PM
yeah, I've heard they have been debating whether they are different, so who knows.

my banjar reds have a similar 'snakeskin' looking pattern on their heads/cheeks.

William
04-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Some more info on the species snipped from MFK

The Nami "Greens" are from a lake near a small town called Nami. The lake is part of the Muda Lake(Malaysia). Scleropges inscriptus is found in the Tanintharyi river basin(Myanmar). I don't think they consider the Batik(Scleropages inscriptus) as a Green Aro. Since it's a separate species. There's a possiblity that Nami "Green" Aro is the same species as the Batik but dfferent variant. We need more scientist doing studies.

Arowana-Love
05-17-2012, 02:20 AM
What a beautiful fish! I now have the inspiration for my next fish drawing!

I absolutely adore its color and unique design!