PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to let the java fern grow out of water?

Joonkun
04-18-2012, 07:31 AM
is it safe to let my java fern grow out of the water. the plant is easily 15inches or more and has begun to grow above and out of the water. should this be trimmed or does it really not matter.

Dave66
04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Actually, Java Fern is a bog plant, as in damp roots, moist leaves. It's fairly commonly found growing on rocky outcrops in waterfalls in nature.

If your aquarium has a cover on it it'll keep the air above the water humid enough for the leaves, but you'll have to see if they dry out if your tank is open topped.

Dave

Joonkun
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
if they dry out do you recommend trimming? or maybe like spraying the leaves or something? or is it easier to just trim them?

Dave66
04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
You could sprizer them with spring or distilled water if the leaves seem dry. If you see black spots on the leaves, those are spores, which is how the fern procreates.

Dave

Joonkun
04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
yeah its werid, my plant doesnt seem to be having shoots or anything, or plantlettes at the tips, and it doesnt seem tohave new growth like the rhizome. but the current leaves grow like weeds. i wonder why that is though =/

Dave66
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Simply because you are keeping it correctly. Having Java Fern grow like that means it's getting precisely what it needs to grow.

Is why I don't keep it any more, since it grows like a weed in my tanks.

Dave