PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Bettas

squirt_12
08-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Ok well you guys/girls are probably like hating me for posting so many things to do with bettas.
lol
Well this is the last one...i think.
lol
Ok well i want to know how to breed my bettas.
Ok well i know this is a broad question so to round it up some...i have done research on them and read numerous things about breeding bettas but i want to have your guys/girls opinions on how io should breed them!!!???
THANKS SO MUCH!!!

gm72
08-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Get a male. Get a female. Wait. :19:

Seriously though, there is some outstanding information here:
http://www.bettatalk.com/breeding_bettas.htm

radiant sea snail
08-28-2007, 02:07 AM
I second that website.

ozylad82
08-28-2007, 02:13 AM
my mum has sucessfully bred bettas and she has found putting the (f) in a seperate tank next to the (m) untill the (m) blows his nest is best to avoid ingury to her. place them together once this is done and watch for the spawning. afterwards take out the (f). the (m) will care 4 the fry till they can swim side 2 side. when they can, remove the (m). its best to have no substrait so the (m) can replace any fallen fry. we have been told (hav'nt tried it yet) but soaking lettice in water for a few days then draining the water is good food for the fry. not too sure on that thou. maybe someone else could confirm or deny that 1.

ozylad82
08-28-2007, 02:16 AM
the drained water is supposably fed to the fry, not the lettice leaf. lol

squirt_12
08-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Yeah the way that you said it...of putting the female in a seperate tank beside the male is how i am doing it right now.
lol
great minds think alike.
lol
Yeah i hope that they will succesfully breed!!!

P.S.
What is the most ammount of fry that your mom has conceived in 1 breed???
I was just wondering so i can expect what to get if they breed succesfully.
lol
I read that they can lay up to 500 eggs.

squirt_12
08-28-2007, 02:29 AM
hahahaha i already have been on the website twice and read it twice!!!
lol

ozylad82
08-28-2007, 02:37 AM
she has only mannaged to keep around 10 to 15 fish but usuall hatch around 100 fry. saying that, the breeding fish have only had 2 lots of fry and are still a little young in terms of breeders so im guessing the number will increase with time.

squirt_12
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
ok well thats good. Because it was sorta scaring me that i could have up to about 500 fry. But my male is 1 year old and i have no idea how old the female is. Im guessing about 1 year because she looks fully grown and healthy and she is ready to be breed because her white tube ( i forget what it's called) is sticking out and she has a nice plump belly.
lol
Also i would like to know how big the nest has to be before i can release the female in with the male???
thanks!!!!!
:c5:

squirt_12
08-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah i read a website and they said that soaking the lettuce or straw or grass will get some little critters growing so that you can feed to the fry and they LOVE it!!!!!
lol
:D