PDA

View Full Version : Bala Sharks?

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Considering keeping a couple in my 100gal...I read somewhere that they like to be kept in groups? How big of groups? I mean, I want to keep more than just Balas...anyway, just wondering what you guys think?

calla
08-19-2007, 04:04 PM
well... I thought before that 100 or 150 gallon would be big enough for the balas. But, after posting a question about them mating, lady hobbs and dave quickly changed my mind. The main point that got me was that with the sharks being so big (12-14 inches, or bigger I guess), it is hard for the tank to be wide enough for them to turn around. They swim very fast too.

They still are one of my favorites, and I'm going to try my best to keep the 3 I have, but it seems unlikely. They do like to be kept in groups, making it even harder to have a big enough tank.

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 04:59 PM
good point. I guess it seems if i want to keep a shark it will have to be another variety...problem is most become quite aggressive. maybe a redtail or rainbow...?

Lady Hobbs
08-19-2007, 05:31 PM
It really is a shame as they are wonderful fish. They are WILD tho and as mentioned above, go like a house-a-fire. Big jumpers as well. Can you see trying to chase one of those around a fishtank? A person could probably get away with 3 of them. Two would work (if it had to be) but if one died for any reason, the other would be very lonely. They are together constantly and will hardly let one another out of their sight.

I had them in a 55 gallon and that just didn't get it and they were still small. One would smash into the glass, into the wood and decorations and was constantly getting his mouth treated where he tore it up.

A sad thing nearly happened one night with them when one got trapped, face in the gravel, behind a sponge filter I had put in the tank. He was really wedged in there and I had no idea of how long before I saw him. Of course the other one, not being able to leave his side, went in after him and he too got trapped! I yanked them out of there and the first one that had his face buried was about done for. Would only float or sink and barely breathing. I grabbed him and run him back and forth, back and forth at the water surface to get his lungs full of air again for a good 15 minutes.

He was fine after that! Banged up pretty good but he made it, at least.

But they definately have to go in a tank that has the width for them to turn in and also the length for them to swim. In other words.......very large!

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks a lot, just trying to figure out stocking for my 100g :)

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Considered the larger cichlids like severums and uaru and festium?

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah...but my hubby doesn't want just Cichlids, he wants to have some barbs, rainbows, etc etc. We're trying to compromise. I also want to be able to have some smaller fish, not just big ones.

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Severums can be placed with smaller fish if they are put together when young.

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 09:43 PM
They're pretty cool looking...ur sure they'd be ok with something like a cherry barb..or similar?

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe, maybe safer to have like tiger barbs or something of that sort. I like to look at a big fish swim across but I like to see schools as well. I have redone my tank which is a 55g with 1 green severum, 4 angels, 4 sailfin mollies, and 9 cory's. I love the combo and it looks cool to.

*Sarah*
08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Maybe, maybe safer to have like tiger barbs or something of that sort. I like to look at a big fish swim across but I like to see schools as well. I have redone my tank which is a 55g with 1 green severum, 4 angels, 4 sailfin mollies, and 9 cory's. I love the combo and it looks cool to.
Yeah that does sound good. I'm so suprised the severum is ok with the mollies, cool. I may have to look into that. Maybe a Severum and a Parrot fish. Are they ok on their own though, or do they like to have more of their kind?

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 10:33 PM
They are fine on there own. That is how you usually see them unless it is a pair. They would be fine with a parrot, actually, a severum is fine with about any larger fish and some smaller ones like mollies and such, if they are together young then they are fine in my opinion unless it is like young guppies or something of that sort.

*Sarah*
08-20-2007, 12:41 AM
well I'm planning on faster fish like barbs anyway, so it should be ok. Cool thanks :)

TowBoater
08-20-2007, 12:45 AM
No problem, if you watch my video you can see the size of mine, I got him 2 months ago and he was about 2 1/2" when I got him so that should show you growth rate.