PDA

View Full Version : Condensation in submersible heater

madly99
08-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

I just noticed what looks like water condensation inside the glass of my submersible heater (it's an Aqueon 100W). Is this okay? It's just a few drops and it's been cycling off and on all day (abnormally cool in NYC today) and no one's been electrocuted, but figured I'd check.

Thanks as always for your invaluable assistance.

TowBoater
08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't think it is a problem but you might want to ground your tank anyways.

gm72
08-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Actually I'd be a little worried if moisture is getting into the heating element unless it is sealed. If moisture gets to the power leads I think it would cause a disaster.

That heater of yours is supposed to be submersible, watertight. Condensation inside indicates moisture is inside the heater, and if it is sealed, there would be no way for it to escape, thereby causing a dangerous situation.

Maybe there are some people here though who understand electronics like these more than do I and can tell me I'm wrong.

RobbieG
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM
I don't think it is a problem but you might want to ground your tank anyways.

Grounding the tank would allow a circuit to complete - its better not to have that happen people and fish can only get zapped by a completed circuit.

If you are seeing condensation inside of your heater get rid of it.

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Shows what I know of electronics.:c5:

zackish
08-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Actually I'd be a little worried if moisture is getting into the heating element unless it is sealed. If moisture gets to the power leads I think it would cause a disaster.

That heater of yours is supposed to be submersible, watertight. Condensation inside indicates moisture is inside the heater, and if it is sealed, there would be no way for it to escape, thereby causing a dangerous situation.

Maybe there are some people here though who understand electronics like these more than do I and can tell me I'm wrong.

I agree 100%, you are facing a basic electrical problem here.
Water and electricity don't mix. Somewhere the seal is broken in the heater and water is getting in there even though it's only condensation.
I would just replace the whole heater, they are cheap these days, you could get a new one for under $20.

RobbieG
08-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Shows what I know of electronics.:c5:

You couldn't actually do it anyways - fishtanks are pretty much not conductive - for anything bad to happen you would have to ground the water - :ezpi_wink1:

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 02:42 AM
*smacks forehead* I feel dumb.

madly99
08-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. Pity as it's less than a month old. I tossed the box so can't return it. And of course after weeks of sweltering heat, we've got a cool spurt, so no chance of cashing in on that warranty in time to keep the fish warm...

Ixnay on the Aqueon submersibles, folks. Guess I'll have to find a Visitherm somewhere...

Thanks!

TowBoater
08-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Stealth heaters rock! :19:

crackatinny
08-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. Pity as it's less than a month old. I tossed the box so can't return it. And of course after weeks of sweltering heat, we've got a cool spurt, so no chance of cashing in on that warranty in time to keep the fish warm...

Ixnay on the Aqueon submersibles, folks. Guess I'll have to find a Visitherm somewhere...

Thanks!

If you still have the docket I would return it anyway, box should not matter.
Or if you regular the place you purchased it, they may remember you.

Drumachine09
08-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Tetra also makes good heaters. They are sold at walmart for fairly cheap. I have 3 of them, and i am very pleased.

zackish
08-19-2007, 04:46 AM
You all need to realize that heaters are really a simple instrument. It is a glass tube with a heating element inside and an electrical current passes through to heat it. Any heater should do it's job well.

gm72
08-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Ah, but there is where you are wrong. I agree that the instrument is simple, but the thermostats range widely. Also, the quality of the heater varies greatly. Some fizzle out after only a year whereas the Stealth heaters can go for a VERY long time with no problems and no fluctuations in temperature. If they all worked the same then no one would buy the more expensive units.

RobbieG
08-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I have had a couple of cheap heaters - they were OK at putting out heat - but that was it - they wouldn't shut off till the tank was at about 86 degrees. You get what you pay for.

I use the visitherm deluxes now - gm72 is dead right about the difference in thermostat quality.

zackish
08-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Aaaa you bring up a good point.
I agree with you. The only reason I made that post because I was under the impression that all the heaters these days were pretty good. For my turtle tank I dug out an old HOB radiant heater about 20+ years old my uncle used to have when he raised fish. I have to adjust the temperature on it everyday the thermostat is so bad. When I got my visi-therm for my tank it was so accurate as far as the thermostat. That's why I thought all of them these days are good.