PDA

View Full Version : sharks mating???

calla
08-17-2007, 12:47 AM
I have read that breading the bala sharks in captivity is never really done.... but tonight after I got home from eating dinner, one shark is following the other two around JUST like the sword did when they were mating. He is chasing the two around, and when he gets close to them he rubs right up on them. I have never once seen them act this way, it's slightly aggressive even... what's going on?

Lady Hobbs
08-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Since bala's grow to about a 14-16" it's unlikely they are doing anything but being sweet to one another. I had 3 of them but knew they'd need a 700 gallon tank which I could not give them so gave them away. Really liked them too.

calla
08-17-2007, 03:01 AM
a 700 gallon tank?? please tell me you're kidding... geesh that's big :)

I have three also, and plan on putting them in a 100 gallon, with a common pleco. You think that will be big enough?

Dave66
08-17-2007, 04:23 AM

I have three also, and plan on putting them in a 100 gallon, with a common pleco. You think that will be big enough?

My 700 has an 8x4 footprint; not huge when filled, but very heavy. Your 100 would make it difficult for adult balas to turn around cleanly. You might sqeeze by with a 200 that's at least two feet wide.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
08-17-2007, 04:59 AM

Dave is 100% right. Take a bala 18 inches long and put him in a tank 19 inches wide and how does he get turned around especially with two others there and the decorations and all the other stuff. Bala's are very fast aggressive swimmers. They go as fast as the can and slam into the glass and decoration and are fierce jumpers. I see problems for you in the future with these fish. Sorry.

calla
08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
how long do you think it will take for them to get their adult size? I wasn't really thinking about the width of the tank, you guys are completely right. This makes me sad :( the balas (and pleco) are one of my favorites. Why do I have to like such BIG fish?

Dave.. is your floor made of concrete?? or, what holds a 700 gallon aquarium with no problems? I can't even imagine an aquarium that big!

calla
08-17-2007, 12:48 PM
and after looking at 300 gallon + aquariums online........ you must have a reallllllly good job.

..... I'm going to have to give them away..... :scry:

crackatinny
08-17-2007, 12:50 PM
The dance the bala's do is very common, I have read it has nothing to do with mating.

Hobbs, 18"?, I thought adult size was 12", have I been misslead?

calla
08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
The dance the bala's do is very common, I have read it has nothing to do with mating.

Hobbs, 18"?, I thought adult size was 12", have I been misslead?

I thought it was between 12 and 14 also.... hopefully this is so, as it woud be easier (not much) to accomadate.

I saw your profile says you have 2 in your 120 gallon. How big are they? Do you plan to move them? I'm just curious because I really don't want to give them away...

crackatinny
08-18-2007, 12:09 AM
They would be around 8", I would think seriously about rehoming mine if possible, but around here, I would not be able to find them a larger home, not a lot of people have big tanks here, the thing I find most of a problem, is startling them as I walk over to turn on the lights, the jumping.
My tank is 2' wide and 4' long, so if I find them a bit of a hassle in that, there are not many home tanks that will accomadate them properly, sad really considering the amount that are sold around here (when I 1st bought them they was only about 3", and I told the LFS I only had a standard 15G at that time, but he said they would be ok, another example of bad advice to make a sale)

calla
08-18-2007, 01:13 AM
They sell a lot of them around here as well..... I notice (because I'm there like every other day hehe) that they will get a bunch of balas in, and within a week they are all gone. I also started with a small tank, 20 gallon, and bought these three after being told they would be fine. I learned quickly to always do my own research on the fish BEFORE buying it.... and can't believe that they even sell some fish commonly.

... I know the biggest tank I'll probably get anytime in the near future is a 150-200 gallon. Before, I thought that since the tank would be devoted to only the sharks, and a pleco, that it would be big enough.... Now I'm starting to wonder.

I went to the zoo a while ago, and in their aquarium they had a HUGE bala... wonder if they would take mine? I feel bad taking them back to the store, only to have them be sold again to another unknowing customer....

poor fishies.