PDA

View Full Version : Furcata Rainbowfish

elmer
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Anyone have experience with furcata rainbowfish?

I bought 3 females and 3 males. Lost one male. There was a 4-day cycle where nitrites got to be somewhere between 2-5ppm. I did 50% water changes and used Prime.

There is some plant cover from a java fern and some vallisneria. I wonder if it's enough. Maybe I should get a fake plant or two in there until the vallisneria grows in more.

The largest male has been seen a few times madly chasing the other male for quite a while.

But since I replaced the lost male with a female, there's very little (actually, zero) prolonged chasing going on in the last day. So, crossing my fingers ...

Anyway, I love the blue eyes on them all, and the forked yellow tails on the males. I will post a picture sometime, but it will be tough - they are small and active.

My pH is around 7.9 now. kH around 9. Haven't looked at GH for a while but it was around 20 last I looked, but that was when I had coral in the tank :o

elmer
08-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Here's a pic of the tank

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I would put in some fake plants until yours can grow some. Rainbows like lots of hiding places and coverage.

elmer
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Actually, maybe I could add more live plants. I was concerned about not having enough carbon and light, because my CO2 level is very low, around 3ppm judging from the kH and pH. I have basically decided against CO2 injection as too costly and/or dangerous. But maybe if I use Excel and stick to low-light plants, then I could still have lots of live plants and they would do okay. What do you think? (edit: my java fern still has some black spots on it - I believe it is missing carbon). (edit2: after another day, the furcatas are being really nice, and schooling most of the time. Yay!)

Lady Hobbs
08-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Problem with the low light level plants are most are small and slow growing. Rainbows want some good hiding places is the reason I mentioned adding a couple fake ones was to give them somewhere to hide. They'd probably like some waterspite floating on top maybe. They lay their eggs in java moss.

I would get rid of the carbon. Fish don't swim in carbon in the wild and don't need it in family tanks........IMO. Carbon is also not recommended to use with plants. It's good for removing medication but that's about it.

The DIY CO2 injection is nothing but some water, sugar and bakers yeast in a pop bottle. SOOOOO incredible easy.

I would check out some taller plants that are low light plants but even with being low lights, a 15watt tank bulb will not be enough to keep them alive. You will need about 2 watts per gallon for low lights.

elmer
08-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Problem with the low light level plants are most are small and slow growing. Rainbows want some good hiding places is the reason I mentioned adding a couple fake ones was to give them somewhere to hide. They'd probably like some waterspite floating on top maybe. They lay their eggs in java moss.Right. I'll probably end up getting some fake plants; I'm just not sure.

I would get rid of the carbon. Fish don't swim in carbon in the wild and don't need it in family tanks........IMO. Carbon is also not recommended to use with plants. It's good for removing medication but that's about it.I wasn't talking about activated carbon in the filter. I don't have that. I was talking about carbon in the water that plants need. They can get it from CO2 injection or from a carbon supplement like Excel.

edit:
see http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel_faq.html
http://www.fishfriend.com/articles/starting_a_planted_aquarium_part_ii.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/25990-how-much-flourish-excel-best.html

The DIY CO2 injection is nothing but some water, sugar and bakers yeast in a pop bottle. SOOOOO incredible easy.That is something to think about, and it may be easy, but a) it seems risky, and b) I'm not sure me and my tank/species are a good candidate. What about the pH swings when lights go on and off? All these fertilization bottle things say in their manuals that you should use a solenoid with it to turn it off at night, or else turn it off manually. Solenoid = $100. Being around at lights out everyday = not possible. So, are those pH swings okay? How big is the swing? Also, I need to make sure my pH does not go below 7.2 or so for the rainbows. That probably means I would need to keep the CO2 under 20ppm. (kH is 9, see http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm)
Also, I have a lot of surface agitation from my HOB filter. Won't that mean I lose most of the CO2 into the air anyway?

I would check out some taller plants that are low light plants but even with being low lights, a 15watt tank bulb will not be enough to keep them alive. You will need about 2 watts per gallon for low lights.Good point. I'm pretty sure my bulb is not 40 watts. And I probably am not going to find mature plants anywhere.

Lady Hobbs
08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I have screwed up my tank twice and just replanted for the 3rd time. Mostly due to brown algae and not enough light. This time I planted with all low light plants, java fern and crypts, but I can tell you right now this is not going to work. I have angels in the tank that need good cover and they won't get it fast enough with these plants. I ended up jamming in some fake big plants just to give them good cover but will have to end up getting better lights and add some fast growers in as well. I have a 28 watt compact light on a 20 gallon tank.

You are now talking to the worse person in the world regarding planted tanks!!!! Ask Chrona! :c5: I knew I needed better lighting but money, as always, is a concern for me so I kept trying to struggle thru without it. With what it cost me in dead plants, I could have gotten new lights by now!

I don't know about the Excel. I have read of it before but the DIY CO2 is so incredibly easy and cheap and you don't have to mess with it for a month. I did read a bit on the Excel and it says it works better with CO2 so it sounds to me as something that can be eliminated.

I too was concerned with build up of CO2 at night but after checking day after day I found the pH changed very little. Many just turn their bubbler on at night to keep the pH balanced as the oxygen holds the pH down. In my case, I didn't even need to do that.

There really is not a good way to have great, big plants in a fish tank without having good lights and CO2 injection. Also good substrate for them or at least fine gravel or sand with plant ferts. Mine had all that but they didn't have the decent lights.

I assume you are using just your tank light? If so, that's an 18 watt light and I think you will have problems trying to grow anything under those lights. You might want to check out BigAl's.com. He has some good lights, all on sale, that are very reasonable.

elmer
08-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Good thoughts. I think I may wander over to the Plants forum now...
My tank light doesn't even say what wattage it is.

goobiedixson
08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
I've found that potassium is a great aid for low light plant growth. Also, some low light plants will do poorly under too much light because they get algae growth. Specifically, the anubias needs a shaded area in an otherwise bright tank.

troy
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Year old thread!