PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Shovel Nose cat questions.

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 06:44 PM
might as well make use of the forum today...

My TSNC is roughly about 7" now, in a 55 gallon, waiting to be transferred into a larger aquarium (120 gallons or so). I bought him as a baby, from a pet store (knowing full well the beast he would become) and he was purchased as 1, he was the runt...and 2, he had a "nemo" fin (shortened, maybe damaged/bitten/ripped off). My question is he's been in my care for about mmmm...4-6 months and while he's grown in size, mainly girth, his fin still appears "stumpy", whats the rate of "replacement" for a fish or catfish fin grow back? I know it will, unless it's "genetic". Also, anyone have any tips for me on this fish? Good eater, pleasant, lazy...comes alive when food hits the tank but generally a great cat. Thanks.

Ryan.

Aeonflame
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I think that if by this time it hasn't regrown, then it most likely wont.

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
That's what I was thinking...it's shown no improvement while he's obviously gotten bigger. Looks like I got a nemo. Must be a "lucky" fin...

Crispy
01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I agree. if it's not improved already, it won't grow back.

nice cat btw, I always wanted one.

MCHRKiller
01-04-2012, 08:57 PM
4-6months and only 7" isnt that great of growth, what are you feeding the guy? I had one several years ago that hit almost 20" in a bit over a year...they do grow really fast. Given the possible deformity of the fin it may have some other underlying genetic issues which could be affecting growth rate.

Anyway, your going to need something in the lines of an 8ftx30" wide tank to house the fish long term. TSN are one of the more houseable large catfish as they are very rarely seen over 30" tip of snout to tip of tail in the tank. The 120G is a good grow out tank for the fish, if it is a 2ft wide version it could last him will into his 2nd year :11:

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
He was under 3" when I got him, he's fed pellets daily, blood worms randomly, ghost shrimp and feeder minnows on occasion (once every 2 weeks or so) seems perfectly healthy. I'm not sure the size of the tank, it's roughly 4' across and 2.5' deep, 3' tall. That would put it at 180 gallons...I haven't officially measured it, but it's big. Big enough for him to grow out.

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/390946_2409984883662_1072431003_2574750_1226290595 _n.jpg

He's definitely an eater...

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
(after a round of feeder minnows...not his normal belly size obviously)

MCHRKiller
01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice looking fish, good for you on keeping the fish on sand. These are bad to swallow gravel which could get stuck in their intestines.

RWaltman
01-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks. He's a lot "browner" than most other TSN I've seen...I'm wondering if he's spliced with something else or mis-ID'd...

fishguy66
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks. He's a lot "browner" than most other TSN I've seen...I'm wondering if he's spliced with something else or mis-ID'd...

Never owned one personally, but had a buddy of mine that raised one from a tiny guy ( maybe 1 1/2 inches) to well over 3 feet. Just a word of caution: his cracked the glass on a 180 gallon aquarium dashing around the tank, so that 55 of yours is definitely in jeopardy. My personal opinion is that due to this species being able to easily get over 4' in length & its immense power, this is really one of those fish that doesn't belong in captivity, as few can house it properly.:22:

RWaltman
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
don't hate the player, hate the game. I knew the size he would hit, and will hit, as an adult...I planned in advance, there is a plan in place to make sure he grows properly and has plenty of room. These internet sites turn everyone into activists. :14:

fishguy66
01-06-2012, 02:59 PM
don't hate the player, hate the game. I knew the size he would hit, and will hit, as an adult...I planned in advance, there is a plan in place to make sure he grows properly and has plenty of room. These internet sites turn everyone into activists. :14:

Well, as I stated, that was just my personal opinion. In my opinion, species like shovelnose, redtail cats, pacus,etc. get too big for MOST home aquaria. I was just putting in my 2 cents, not "hating" on anybody.

Crispy
01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
the op asked for tips and such, not about proper tank size. he stated in his post that he knows TSNs become beasts.

as long as your water params are in check and he's eating well, I see no harm in growing him out in a 55g. growing out small monster fish in smaller tanks helps them find food easier and really fattens them up. I don't see any problems since the op stated he will move it to a bigger tank as needed.

if you take very good care of the tank, you can easily house the TSN until he is 10". this is the point where you move him and he really starts becomming a monster! just understand that even when small, these fish are messy eaters with a huge bioload. most aquarists that fail with these fish do so because they underestimate the amount of bioload they have on the tank. I wouldn't keep very many tankmates if any at all when growing out one of these cats in a 55g. best of luck and keep us updated on his growth.

fishguy66
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
[quote=Crispy]the op asked for tips and such, not about proper tank size. he stated in his post that he knows TSNs become beasts.

Where in my original post to the OP do you see me saying anything other than offering caution that this fish is capable of cracking the glass on a 55( & much large aquariums), & offering an opinion that I don't think they should be kept in captivity(due to their size & strength) or are suitable for most home aquaria? I know what he wrote I was just offering an opinion & an observation, that's all. Last time I checked, we are allowed to do so on this forum.

Crispy
01-06-2012, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=Crispy]the op asked for tips and such, not about proper tank size. he stated in his post that he knows TSNs become beasts.

Where in my original post to the OP do you see me saying anything other than offering caution that this fish is capable of cracking the glass on a 55( & much large aquariums), & offering an opinion that I don't think they should be kept in captivity(due to their size & strength) or are suitable for most home aquaria? I know what he wrote, Mr. Helper, I was just offering an opinion & an observation, that's all. Last time I checked, we are allowed to do so on this forum.

while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, a 6" tsn is not going to break the glass on any tank. I see alot of unneeded bashing to the op in this thread. he is trying to grow out a monster, not house one in a 55 for life. if you throw a 5" aro into a 300g, it will most likely starve to death. just because a fish has the potential to be a tankbuster, doesn't mean we have to bust the ops balls over his method of growing it out. he already knows the potential size of these cats and is doing a good job IMHO.

not aimed towards you, but I see alot of rehashed 'general rule of thumb' advice given here (and in other threads), and while the posters are regurgitating information they have read, they have no real experience with keeping said fish.

there are way too many plecos and baby oscars in 10g tanks to worry about, but we'd rather pick on this guy for growing out a tsn in a 55g. SHEESH, my 34" arowana was grown out in a 55g for the first year of his life.

I'd have to agree, while we all have the best intentions for everyone's fish/tanks in mind, it does seem like the forums are based on an activist-type regime. relax and enjoy the hobby instead of being so quick to flame. the op just wants to grow his cat out the best possible way under his circumstances.

fishguy66
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=fishguy66]

while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, a 6" tsn is not going to break the glass on any tank. I see alot of unneeded bashing to the op in this thread. he is trying to grow out a monster, not house one in a 55 for life. if you throw a 5" aro into a 300g, it will most likely starve to death. just because a fish has the potential to be a tankbuster, doesn't mean we have to bust the ops balls over his method of growing it out. he already knows the potential size of these cats and is doing a good job IMHO.

not aimed towards you, but I see alot of rehashed 'general rule of thumb' advice given here (and in other threads), and while the posters are regurgitating information they have read, they have no real experience with keeping said fish.

there are way too many plecos and baby oscars in 10g tanks to worry about, but we'd rather pick on this guy for growing out a tsn in a 55g. SHEESH, my 34" arowana was grown out in a 55g for the first year of his life.

I'd have to agree, while we all have the best intentions for everyone's fish/tanks in mind, it does seem like the forums are based on an activist-type regime. relax and enjoy the hobby instead of being so quick to flame. the op just wants to grow his cat out the best possible way under his circumstances.

I do not wish to start an argument, but........... I never bashed anyone. I know what he wrote, & I know what I wrote. I never picked on him about his choices of tank, or his choices of fish he wants to keep. I don't know where you picked that up from. There was no bashing of any kind on my part, just, again, an opinion & an observation. I never told him what he was doing was wrong, or that he is housing him incorrectly, just there is the potential for disaster when keeping this species, & my opinion on the keeping of giant fish in home aquaria. Actually, the one who started bashing/flaming was the OP, not me. I am not now, nor ever have or will be an activist of any kind. I think that maybe before you start handing out advice on how people should act in this forum, or interpreting what they wrote, perhaps you should take the time to read & comprehend what was actually written.

Cliff
01-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I think we can all agree, the current tank is too small for the fish at its full grown size and the OP has plans to up-grade.

icefreeze57
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
nice fish. Is he solo? I know someone said that he'd probably have to be solo eventually but was wondering if he was with something currently

RWaltman
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
the op asked for tips and such, not about proper tank size. he stated in his post that he knows TSNs become beasts.

as long as your water params are in check and he's eating well, I see no harm in growing him out in a 55g. growing out small monster fish in smaller tanks helps them find food easier and really fattens them up. I don't see any problems since the op stated he will move it to a bigger tank as needed.

if you take very good care of the tank, you can easily house the TSN until he is 10". this is the point where you move him and he really starts becomming a monster! just understand that even when small, these fish are messy eaters with a huge bioload. most aquarists that fail with these fish do so because they underestimate the amount of bioload they have on the tank. I wouldn't keep very many tankmates if any at all when growing out one of these cats in a 55g. best of luck and keep us updated on his growth.

.to answer the last post question: He's housed currently with a mated pearl eartheater pair, a knife fish and a hujeta gar. I'm confident the cichlids (who will top out at a foot or so) can stand their ground, along with the knife fish.

Cliff
01-10-2012, 12:03 AM
This thread is no longer a constructive discussion.

There has been some really good input here.

This thread is now closed