PDA

View Full Version : Link Insertion Feature Poll

William
11-21-2011, 05:24 AM
It is sunday and the new link insertion feature has been active for a few days. Use the poll above to tell me if you like it or not.

Surfdog
11-21-2011, 05:30 AM
How the hell do you vote I that dont care, I hoestly used it once already though...Ohh Now it pops up...

Brhino
11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I saw your notification on this feature a few days ago, but I haven't, to my knowledge, seen it being used... so I don't really understand what it is.

Stlouisfish
11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Yes, what is the new link insertion feature and where do we find it?

Aeonflame
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Its automatic. Lets say I type in amazon or ebay . The words automatically hyperlink to the site

Brhino
11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Is there any way to manually disable it? Like, say, if I want to talk about an Amazon River biotope tank, I really don't want it linking there.

Aeonflame
11-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Not that I know of, besides typing Amaz0n

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I see pros and cons but totally on the fence with this one.

Brhino has a valid point. We all say check out craigslist or check out Ebay or Petco is having a tank sale this week. Or I bought some fish at WalMart. Will each of those come up as hyperlinks? (I will find out once I close this post.)

I don't see this as slowing down spammers. They will appear one way or another and when they do post, itís deleted anyway.

To me itís simply adding links that we donít want. I also think this feature is too new to have any kind of opinion yet especially for those who have not posted links yet.

I do think if this is adapted, that members should have the ability to edit their posts for a full 12 hours rather than 15 minutes, though, so they can remove links that appeared that they did not want to appear.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Not sure why petco or craigslist did not hyperlink. Perhaps I wrote them different than their hyper address?

test:

I bought this light at Pet Mountain. http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-light-fixtures/11442-512405/current-usa-nova-extreme-t5ho-x2-freshwater.html

Appears to me that some hyperlink and others do not so I guess I'm not getting it.

Aeonflame
11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I think the words that auto link is entirely up to Viglink

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2011, 06:33 PM
And just how does this stop spammers?

Aeonflame
11-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Not sure. Maybe theres some other feature that works behind the scenes. As for the auto-linking part, I don't like it. It's more of a nuisance than a helpful feature.

Lady Hobbs
11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, since the Mods have to check out every link to make sure none are spam, then I would have to say less links works for me, as well.

William
11-22-2011, 07:18 AM
It does not stop spammer. It prevents spammers from earning any money from their spam because their links are overwriten.

I do not really know when it inserts links either. because it does hyperlink craigslist and even stores like franks aquarium sometimes but not all of the time. Or so it seems.

The point with Amazon biotope is a good one and might be reason in itself to remove it.

mommy1
11-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't like it. You have not stopped spammers, you have turned us all into spammers and the forum into a giant spam site. Personally, I will either intentionally misspell words like Wallmart or not use them at all until this nonsense is gone. I am not being paid to advertize for those companies and I don't appreciate being forced to link others to them.

KingFisher
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't like it either. The articles section is filled with totally unrelated links now. The worst one is definitely amazon though, since it is used so often. Every time someone posts about their amazon sword, amazon biotope, fish from the amazon, and even the member's username amazon links to that site now.

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I can only guess that Amazon hyperlinks because it's a selling site like Ebay and PayPal and Walmart? Perhaps only the main sellers hyperlink? No sure how it works but you can't find out if you don't try it and this was only a test run.

It was just a try out period and I think it's already gone.

William
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
The feature has been disabled. Might take a few hours before the cache has updated and the feature is gone. It was worth trying or atleast i think so but I agree with what Kingfisher and a couple of others have said. The problem with the word Amazon and that it gets linked is too big to keep the function since amazon is too big a part of our hobby to have it hyperlinked to the merchant every time it is written.

Lady Hobbs
11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Hey, it was worth a test run. Some things work and some things don't and how do you know without trying it?

Cliff
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I personally think that it is great that we tried a new feature