PDA

View Full Version : my new jaguar cats

Northerly
11-04-2011, 02:12 AM
i bought 2 jaguar cats today, and of course i got attached immediately.

so what i need from you guys is just some general advice/tips on how to care for a jaguar cat. i want my little guys to grow large and thrive!

Brhino
11-04-2011, 02:15 AM
this should be a good start if you haven't read it yet:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/jaguar.php

Red
11-04-2011, 02:18 AM
65 gallons
1x Gold Gourami
1x Gold Severum
2x Green Severum
4x Leopard Danio
4x Zebra Danio
2x Black Veil Angelfish
1x Rainbow Shark
1x Bristlenose Pleco

Plus the cats, you should be looking to upgrade tanks or get rid of some fish. Jag ctas get 9".

Northerly
11-04-2011, 02:38 AM
the cats will be added to my 75 gallon once i get it

skullduggery1
11-04-2011, 02:38 AM
The jaguar catfish will disappear,and you will see them again with danio's missing.Severums,will also eat them.

Northerly
11-04-2011, 02:52 AM
every fish in my tank is a juevenile at the moment, im going to be getting a 75 gallon soon and both my cats will go in there, and i expect my danios to be eaten at some point. they were mainly to make the tank look busy as the fish grew.

Fishkeeper
11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
and i expect my danios to be eaten at some point. they were mainly to make the tank look busy as the fish grew.

HEY!!!!! The danios are still fish!!! Rehome them if you don't want them!!!! Letting them get killed is like shooting the horse you were using until your tractor came!

Northernguy
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
That was a bad analogy.
The tractor doesn't use horse meat for fuel but fish do eat fish to survive.
This doesn't neccesarily happen in most home tanks but it is his tank.
Many grow guppies as feeders.
What is the difference in having danios ,guppies or gold fish for feeders?
They are food in the wild.

redfan
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
I know this is a bit old but I had to post ...

Having kept 3 Jaguar Catfish for near a year now I feel somewhat qualified to comment on some of what's been said here.

Are these actual Jaguar Catfish (Liosamodora Oncinus)?

If a Jaguar Catfish is kept well fed it is unlikely to eat any other fish in the tank, mine have co-habitted with fish as small as Neons for a year without a single loss.

More of the problem with Jaguars is the feeding habits, they need to be fed with lights out when the room is pretty close to dark .. it can take months to adjust them to subdued lighting.

You will have far more issues with them regarding temp and water ph than you will have with them eating danios. They will only "take" other fish if you intentionally do not feed them and that would be honestly cruel on 2 counts, 1 effectively starving the Jaguar and 2 sacraficing another fish because you have intenionally not cared for the predator.

They are my favourite fish and a species I have done quite significant research on (in order to better care for mine). If you need any help with them please let me know, I will do my best.

Cheers and sorry if this comes across harsh