PDA

View Full Version : My loaches are hidey little guys...

Mdsuave13
08-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I have 5 clown loaches. I have 3 that are around 3-4", i have 1 that is 6" and 1 that is 1"

My largest one is a hidey guy... he never comes out of his hiding spot unless i am sleeping... if i wake up and spot him, he will go back into hiding...

are there any ways to get him to want to come out and play? the rest of my loaches are very friendly and in fact will come up to snuggle against my fingers....

My tank has good shade from the lighting, and lots of hiding spots, none of the other fish bother them, so i am just curious...

TowBoater
08-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Clown Loaches get large, about a foot. You must have a large tank to house 6' worth of fish. They naturally hide a lot. He is acting normal. He will settle down eventually. They like to school with fish of the same size as well, he has none and neither does the 1" one. When they all get about the same size, he will come out more or even when he feels comfortable. For seeing him at night, a red light is awesome. I sit down and stare at my aquarium for hours at night watching my nocturnal fish come out. You see most loaches at this time as well has snails are very neat to watch after the lights go out.

RobbieG
08-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I have clowns too and they all hide most of the time - but come out for a nighttime feeding. They also come out during the day if I am away from the tank. Mine are all close to the same size so they parade around together in a little troop - they are the most fun to watch of all my fish - when they come out.

Mine will eventually be moving into at least a 150 when they get a little bigger.

Mdsuave13
08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
hey kuli, i know they get big, i have already acquired a 480 gallon in wall setup from a friend that is moving, once i get my new house built, it will be going in there. I figure i have about a year before that happens, which is ok, because the fish are not that big yet, plus they are slow growers.

I have 6 red led's mounted in my lid, it does make for a great showing at night, just bright enough to see the fish, but not bright enough to bother them.

The largest of my clown's actually got stuck in a ceramic cave for about 3 weeks, i thought he could come out, but turned out he wasnt able to get out.. luckily i had been feeding him in the cave.

I eventually had to take a pair of vice grips and basically shatter the ceramic cave with the fish in it to get him out. I was able to and not harm the fish.. he is now swimming around and playing with the other loaches, he seems very happy.

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
The information on the web is so sketchy regarding the size of loaches it's frustrating. Several sites say they get huge and others claim they only get about 6 inches in captivity. All I know for sure is they live about 20 years and are slow growers so I guess I have to live a long time yet to see just how large they really will get.

Have you seen Marge yet?
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Lady Hobbs
08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Just a caution.........forget having castles or tight places for these loaches. They get stuck! Use pvc pipe or something they can get out of.

RobbieG
08-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I know that they can get huge - (Marge) but really seems to be the exception rather than the rule. 5-6 6" fish is a pretty big load to begin with - but that is all I planned for when I got mine. Maybe in 10 years one of the buggers will prove me wrong and I will need a 200 gallon tank - but I really - really doubt it:9:

Mdsuave13
08-25-2007, 12:16 AM
thats what i was told by my LFS, they have a couple show tanks in their store with personal fish to show off what a tank can look like.. they have about a dozen clown loaches that are around 14 years or so old.. they have a few that are close to 10" but most are in the 6-8" range.. still good sized fish, none as big as marge tho.. that person has some HUGE loaches.. must be feeding them lobster tails or something :)

TowBoater
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
My LFS had a clown that was 8" at one time, man they do get bulky don't they?