PDA

View Full Version : Mourning

Akasha
08-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Okay I have a 10G have had it for 2yrs

Anyway, I had two bettas in it (male and a female) and took very good care of them. I know that its not too good to keep them together, but they really took to one another, and never once fought and many a time had babies.

My question is, do they mourn for their mates?

I ask this because the female died possible a month ago, for no reason what so ever, just up and died, and I'm guessing of old age since i wasn't exactly sure how old it was when i bought it, then having it for 2yrs myself.. Then today (which was around a month ago, like i said) i woke up to find the male dead. He has been sad looking since she left, and went crazy when i actually took her out too. He wasn't swimming as much as he use too and such.

Makes me think that since it had been a month after she passed that maybe he was mourning for her. Am I crazy for thinking this? Or was it just old age in general..

Nick_Pavlovski
08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
People can die of broken hearts, cetainly some dogs whom loved their owners often die soon after their owners die - Lovebirds often do terribly by themselves and there are plenty of other animals that mate for life, so why not?

Lady Hobbs
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I've read their life span is only a couple years so perhaps it was just their time to go. I doubt you will ever to lucky enough to get a pair to remain together again long term.

Sorry you lost your fish.

SkarloeysMom
08-04-2007, 02:11 PM
You're not crazy for think that. You're in mourning too. Sorry you lost your fish buddies.

RobbieG
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Sorry about your fish :ssad:

MeganL3985
08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Awe i'm sorry to hear that :( It must have been something really special to see them together day to day though :)

But either way you look at it, they're probably swimming together again as we speak ;)

Presten
08-15-2007, 12:39 AM
than most. You saw them as they were and understood them. My cat adored her parakeet, NO not for food. When they first met it was love at first site and continued, I worried about him until time passed and she never would have hurt him. They would sit next to each other as close as could be with him in his cage and she by the cage.

He would prance and show off for her. He developed a leg tumor and died two years ago, she would to his end be by him when possible. At the end I kept him by himself so he would not feel threatened by movements and have less stress, vet recommended. But when she could she would just go in and be with him. When he passed away she would for a few days go in and look for him, but then she accepted it. He was gone.

You will have another set of your fishies because you are that kind of person.

Best