PDA

View Full Version : Red Tailed Catfish. I've enver seen this!

Talsier
09-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok, let me break it down. I'm having a problem/ailment I've never seen before, and I'm hoping to anyone here can answer. There appeared, this morning, to be a large semi-transparent bubble protruding from my Redtail/spotted shovelnose right gill. I took a couple of picks that maybe will help out, but I can't find anything in a search, and my local aquarium shop is no help. This tank is new to him, but not new and all my Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate..etc are at the absolute minimum. Plenty of oxygen, and he's the only fish in this tank right now. I don't know what to even start looking for for this. I've never seen anything like it before. He is only about three to four months old. Please, anyone who can help. Just take a look, and tell me what you think? I posted this on a couple of boards, but everyone seems really stumped.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/Talsier/SDC12537.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/Talsier/SDC12536.jpg

WaMiss
09-17-2011, 07:10 AM
This tank is new to him, but not new and all my Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate..etc are at the absolute minimum.

What are your readings? Your Ammonia and Nitrite shouldn't be at an absolute minumum. They should be at zero. Is that what you mean?

KingFisher
09-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Looks like his swim bladder is protruding out through his gill. Has the fish gone through any trauma recently?

The only time I've seen anything like this is when fishing in depths of water greater than 30 feet and pulling fish up from the bottom. The bladder expands faster than the pressure can equalize from the rapidly changing pressure.

Talsier
09-17-2011, 01:10 PM
@ WaMiss, Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is 0, and Nitrite is at 5.0 ppm. The tank has continued to run but hasn't had any fish in it since a month ago when I took 6 Cichlids out. I did do a water change 20% using RO water at the time I put him in though.

@KingFisher That is what it looks like! The only thing traumatic would be changing tanks. He was in there for two days before this happened.

Thank both of you for replying. I need all the help i can get!

gm72
09-17-2011, 01:35 PM
The tank isn't cycled so you'll have to stay on top of things. You do understand how large that fish will get, yes?

Talsier
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
@gm72, I'm wondering why you think the tank isn't cycled. It has been set up for more than a year. As for the size, I am more than aware. I look forward to people who buy fish like this and can't handle them. Currently, there are two adults in a 2200 gallon indoor pond. Among my other tanks are a 600gal, a 240 gal, a 200 gal and a few smaller ones. I was trying to be polite in my comments, and sometimes that may come off as I'm a beginner, but I've dealt with fish for many years, and I frequently service many ponds. Again, I'm looking for a way to remedy my situation, and I figured there would be some experience to be had on this forum. Thank you for your concern about the size though. I suppose my next step is to contact a vet in the fish specialty area.

KingFisher
09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I have heard of fishermen successfully releasing fish like this by using a hypodermic needle to deflate the swim bladder, but I have no idea of the survival rate of the fish once that is done. You are right to ask a vet about it.

WaMiss
09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Your tank set empty for a month and unless you added ammonia to feed your bacteria it would lose its cycle.
My whole family are big into fishing and they do just what kingfisher said. I've never seen the swim bladder coming out the gills though....only the mouth.

KingFisher
09-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I've never seen the swim bladder coming out the gills though....only the mouth.

Neither have I, but I figure it has to be that or else it is choking on a clear plastic bag, in which case only an idiot wouldn't be able to tell that seeing the fish in real life.

Talsier
09-18-2011, 07:01 AM
I apologize for mis-communication. I guess I don't know how everyone else really does things. As for the cycling, more than just fish create ammonia and I had said there hasn't been any "fish" in it since a month ago, but a tank continues to cycle because leftover food, decaying plants, and other things create ammonia. Even when setting up a brand new tank, I usually remove a secondary filter that has been in use on a fully cycled tank in addition to the standard filtration on any given tank, to which my filtration is most likely double that which most enthusiasts will use. Also, if the tank wasn't cycled and it was brand new, the ammonia would spike as the bacteria would take time to propagate before it returned to zero, as would the bacteria for the nitrite. Lets consider for a moment that I have taken careful consideration to monitoring the water conditions. The ammonia has lowered and remained at 0, nitrite is 0, and I almost had the nitrates at 0. Since no chlorinated water has been added, there would be no chlorine, or chloramines, though I did check in case the cleaning lady came in while I was gone and accidentally spilled some bleach in there.* sorry, I'm being cantankerous* . The water hardness is at about 7 KH, Ph is at 7.5. I had hoped there was something about this particular catfish that someone knew something and would give insight, but I have only got useful information from kingfisher, everyone else has simply questioned my water quality, to which I probably would have also so that's ok.

Now then, here's some new information. The "bag" (as we will call it) went away today after I got home from work. Now, it has returned for some reason. Something is the cause of this, just as something is responsible for it going away earlier. Now I'm more confused than ever.

gm72
09-18-2011, 01:36 PM
You initially stated "Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is 0, and Nitrite is at 5.0 ppm." If this were accurate then indeed the tank would not have been cycled since nitrIte should have been at 0. Maybe you just accidentally switched the numbers though.

Odd that it went away but then returned. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful for the fish, I don't know what is happening.

Talsier
09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Obviously in my haste and frustration, I switched the two. Nitrite would never be .5 and the other two completely 0. I knew it would be a bunch of amateur hobbyists here, but I didn't realize everyone was mostly beginners. I very obviously made it clear the tank has been around for a long time, and there's no issue with water quality. I'm out !

Aeonflame
09-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Absolutely no need to be nasty about it. You were the one who made the mistake. Since you seem to be quite the expert, I'm sure diagnosing your fish will be easy indeed.

Lady Hobbs
09-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Obviously in my haste and frustration, I switched the two. Nitrite would never be .5 and the other two completely 0. I knew it would be a bunch of amateur hobbyists here, but I didn't realize everyone was mostly beginners. I very obviously made it clear the tank has been around for a long time, and there's no issue with water quality. I'm out !

Everyone jumped in here to try to help with your problem. We did not come looking for you. We have very good members here that will sit for days trying to help others and your opinion of them is not only wrong, but beyond rude.

Even tho you consider our members as "amateur hobbyists" we at least know the difference of nitrites and nitrates and we also know a tank that sits empty for weeks is no longer cycled.

Thanks for stoppin' in.