PDA

View Full Version : LFS employee giving me bad info?

SLeen
07-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I have a small tank with a few fiddlers in it that I purchase from a local fish store. Today I went back to the very same store and was talking to an employee who asked about my crabs. I mentioned that I had purchased them there and he told me that the fiddlers they sell are from freshwater rivers not brackish lagoons and that I don't need to/shouldnt keep them in brackish water. I kinda blew him off and left with my purchases, but is there any validity to what he was saying? Everything I have heard and read leads me to believe that no fiddler species can survive indefinitely in fresh water. Have I been wrong or is he?

funkman262
07-02-2011, 10:26 PM
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/fiddlercrabs.htm

Aeonflame
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Where I'm from, there are fiddlers that live so far upriver the water is almost entirely fresh. I wouldn't count on being able to keep your crabs in freshwater though.

SLeen
07-02-2011, 11:20 PM
so this guy is just misinformed I guess. He's told me this twice so far, but I guess he just doesnt realize that just because they were caught in a river that contains fresh water, doesn't mean that they can live exclusively in fresh water.

I probably still wont say anything to him if he mentions it again.

genocidex
07-02-2011, 11:29 PM
yeah you can never really trust your lfs. sadly enough. most crabs need brackish or salt water.

another thing that might not have been said is they need access to the air

Cliff
07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I would not always trust the advice you get from a LFS. I'm not trying to emply they are all bad or don't know anything, just trying to stress the importance of doing your own reasearch first before talking to a LSF employee. Good job in questioning the advice given to you based on what you know.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=79134

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2011, 12:50 PM
another thing that might not have been said is they need access to the air

Yes, and they also need an area where they can crawl up out of the water such as a terrestrial tank. A 10 gallon will not work for them unless you can supply land areas for them, IMO.

SLeen
07-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, they did have some floating bark in the display tank, and a fair amount of it, so I thought that was okay for display purposes. Mine do have a little constructed beach and driftwood.