PDA

View Full Version : striped rapheal cat?

genocidex
06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
looking at a selecting at petsmart and they look in excellent condition.

i was just thinking of adding one to my 29g tank. it seems small for a fish that can get to 8" but that seems to be the min for them. anyways i was looking into adding it to my tank with 13 tiger barbs (well 10 and 3 brb)
i wanted an armored cat cause they seem to not like sleeping fish like my plecos (RIP)
any input?
the only other fish in the tank is an opaline gourami.

i was hoping now they are busy with themselves and the cat being armored they would leave it be.

any input?

Dave66
06-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Raphael cats are quite nocturnal, so it's unlikely you'd see it during the day, unless it gets habituated to daytime feedings.

And you're right, the Raphael cats are highly armored, and very little bothers them.

By the way it's the females that reach eight inches. The males top out at 6.5.

Dave

genocidex
06-24-2011, 01:09 AM
oh thanks a ton looks like im researching on how to sex them :)

btw i also read i need to take care netting them any advice on that? lol

Dave66
06-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Get the finest mesh net you can find. A brine shrimp net is about the mesh you'd need to keep the Raphael from sticking in it when caught. If they are caught though, they can usually disengage themselves on their own. If not, you may have to very, very carefully cut the net to release them.

By the way, when mature, females are broader than males when viewed from above, and when adult, she's visibly bulkier than he.

Dave

toddnbecka
06-24-2011, 05:45 AM
They like cover, given a suitable "cave" that it won't outgrow too quickly you'll never see it out during the daytime. You;d want to feed it a little after the lights are turned off, not likely to find many leftovers at night after a tankful of barbs have been eating all day...

genocidex
06-24-2011, 05:59 AM
ive never been too worried about left overs my little piggies er i mean fishies im keeping make sure of it.
thanks for the input

smaug
06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
A 29gal isn't sufficient for them. Though very shy during the day,at night time they are quite active if they have the room. My raph is about 6yrs old and about 7 inches. I had a spotted in the past,he was about 8 and as fat as a hog.

Rue
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I had one for years...I think they're beautiful.

But I think I only ever saw it once, after I put it in the tank...:sconfused:

smaug
06-24-2011, 10:35 PM
The secret to a fulfilling raphael ownership is moonlights and insomnia.If I had a hundred plus gallon tank,it would have about a half dozen of them. The great thing about them is there ease of keeping,they are tough,easy to feed,very resisiliant to most disease. You simply have to be a night owl to appreciate them.

genocidex
06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
as i said i do have a 55g im thinking of tossing it in when its up and going. ive heard the size can differ depending on sex.
not too worried about it out growing the tank. i am gona hook up some moon lighting and i am a night owl :P.
also ive heard of people getting them out during the day but im guessing thats hit or miss kinda deal i dont want to stress it lol

smaug
06-25-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't see a mention of putting it in a 55,sorry,must have missed that.Mine went from 1.5 inches to over 5 inches in 2 yrs. They grow fast at first.If kept well.

genocidex
06-25-2011, 01:35 AM
hmmm i guess i left out that i had a 55g in storage ooops my bad teehee. anyways i guess you didnt miss it and i missed putting it in. i do have a more suitable tank for it but im guessing the 29 should be good till it gets to 5" 6 max?

smaug
06-25-2011, 01:38 AM
They arent terribly active except at night.I am always surprised just how fast and active mine is when I see him swimming laps at night. A small one should be ok for the first year.

Cyberra
06-25-2011, 04:14 AM
A nocturnal fish... Sounds like the critter for me, if I had the room and a big enough tank. I'm one of those people who is awake till the unholy hours of the morning and then goes to bed as the sun comes up.

genocidex
06-25-2011, 04:39 AM
omg i hate that fealing of "gah what the..... sunlight? its only *looks at watch* oh man its 530 >.>"
ever happen to you cyberra?

any ways this does seem like a great fish for this tank and i do still plan on getting one. im doing a deep cleaning of my gravle first time since the tank was astablished and i think its a bad idea to ad a fish just before or just after that cleaning lol

Cyberra
06-25-2011, 04:54 AM
omg i hate that feeling of "gah what the..... sunlight? its only *looks at watch* oh man its 530 >.>"
ever happen to you cyberra?

XD More along the lines of "OMG... 7:00?!" The sun is usually well and truly up by the time I go to bed, bury my head under something, and then I sleep until about 3:00 in the afternoon.

genocidex
07-03-2011, 03:14 AM
ok so i did get the catfish and i also bought a 40g breeder i think it will be happier in this tank verses the 55 seeing how this has a bigger foot print.
what do you all think?

genocidex
07-03-2011, 04:03 AM
when my cat dose get bigger should i be worried about stocking it with fish a that only get a few inches?
i have a feeling that some of my fish might go missing if i house it with some 3-4" fish.
i was thinking of giving my opaline gourami a mate and sticking it in with it and a pair of angels since they get large. but idk lol. any ideas what i should house a full grown one with?

smaug
07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
They are not predators,some say they have lost small fish but I keep mostly small fish and have never lost any. I have dwarf cory,neons,leopard corys,have kept bumblebee gobys,glowlight tetra and even tiny ghost shrimp. Mine eats catfish discs and shrimp pellets. They actually have small mouths as well,they could possibly swallow a small neon..

genocidex
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
wierd i must have gotten confused with something else i was thinking of... i thought it was when i was doing research i read something about they will eat anything that fits in its mouth, and their mouths get surprisingly big..... miss information psha >.> might do a live bearer tank with it then

thanks for setting me straight :)

smaug
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Well,.. that is why the best research comes from asking of those who have actually kept the species of interest. I mentioned mine eats catfish discs,they are about a half inch in diameter and he just fits them in his mouth. They are simply not well designed to be predatious. My spotted raph was much larger but his mouth was still not very large and she showed no interest in small fish either. All this being said,I would imagine a very hungry raph may show interest in fish as food not friends. The thing about many of the profiles seen on forums and other sites is the tendency of those that write them to scavenge from other profiles or things heard or read and not from actual keeping experiance. Good luck with your new catfish,they are fun for the sleep deprived.

genocidex
07-03-2011, 02:31 PM
ive been up all night watching rue swiming. i made it a tunnel with one end completely burried, and tho other hidden.... it doesnt seem to love it yet but i hope it likes it. btw i named it after rue cause i told her i was gona name a fish after her.

dbosman
07-04-2011, 03:55 AM
The secret to a fulfilling raphael ownership is moonlights and insomnia.If I had a hundred plus gallon tank,it would have about a half dozen of them. The great thing about them is there ease of keeping,they are tough,easy to feed,very resisiliant to most disease. You simply have to be a night owl to appreciate them.

You forgot to mention that some of them bark.

Cyberra
07-04-2011, 04:02 AM
You forgot to mention that some of them bark.
XD You mean they don't meow?

genocidex
07-04-2011, 05:12 PM
rofl, mine sorta snorts :P
so does any one wana conform or deny the 40g breeder is better than the 55g?

dbosman
07-05-2011, 12:57 AM
rofl, mine sorta snorts :P
so does any one wana conform or deny the 40g breeder is better than the 55g?

For a raphael, and most bottom dwellers, a 40B is better than a 55. The foot print is about 20% larger and they don't have to go so high to grab air. Except during Petco's $1.00/gallon sale, breeder size tanks are usually more expensive and 55g tanks are sold by the boat load because the accessories are more readily available at lower prices for 12" front to back tanks.

genocidex
07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
yes i did see the footprint being bigger thanks for confirming that for me.

genocidex
07-07-2011, 03:26 AM
so as the day went on today and since ive gotten rue, s/he seems to be coming out alot more during the day. could this be a sign of an aliment?
i havent seen any of my fish pick on he/r since s/he was in the tank at first.

toddnbecka
07-07-2011, 08:01 AM
I saw a brood of young ones at the lfs once, apparently tank-raised young ones aren't nocturnal like the average raphael cat. Those were out all over the tank in the middle of the afternoon, none were hiding or even under cover at all. Almost made me want to breed them.

genocidex
07-07-2011, 09:08 AM
well the first time i saw these they were out and the time i picked up rue they were all hiding. rue used to hide when i first got her. thats the only reason i was worried lol