PDA

View Full Version : African butterfly fish

tropfish
07-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Hye, i have been looking into the african butterfly fish and they are really cool. I have the right size tank required and they only get 4 inches so do you guys think it would be possible to add one to the tank. drsfosterandsmith.com said that i'm within a good ph range and temp range. I'm going to a specialty fish store tom. so i want to see if they have them in stock. What are you guys' opinions on it?

Drumachine09
07-25-2007, 01:26 AM
From the pictures i have seen, they seem to have very elaborate finnage. Thats probobly not a good thing to keep with tiger barbs.

EDIT: Also, they will eat anything that will fit in their mouths, so it could be bad for the tetras as well.

tropfish
07-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Well the 1 glowlight and 2 lemons i'm gonna move because i'm getting a 10 g soon. And the buenos aires are too big to get eaten now i think .

the tiger barbs could be a problem, but they leave my courami alono, and my ram which hs pretty long fins.

RobbieG
07-25-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm not sure about the tigers either - never owned them

Make sure you have a full hood/cover if you do get the ABF they spend all of their time on the surface and can jump like crazy

tropfish
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok so i'd have to be careful with the tigers. My canopy is fully enclosed except for maybe 2 inches cut out for the heater and a cutout for the filter, but the heater and filter cover up to hole except for maybr a half in of space, so i don't think the canopy would be a problem. Thanks for the help guys. I hiope they have them at this special fish store because petssmart doesnt have them and i don't want to order off of drs. foster and smith because its a $35 shipping charge.

RobbieG
07-25-2007, 06:38 PM
I've got pretty much the same amount of open canopy space as you mentioned and I've never had an escape

tropfish
07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
ok thanks for the info! :22:

mariposa
08-18-2007, 12:51 AM
So did you get the ABF? I would love to get one but at the moment I'm full. I only have a 10 gal for now. I'm trying to talk my hubby into the 29 gal set up they have at wal-mart. Comes with the hood and filter and everything...not sure if I would need a heater..but thats not a big deal. :)

gm72
08-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Just keep in mind that the stock filters are usually not nearly enough filtration for the size tank with which they are packaged. You'd definitely need a heater, too.

mariposa
08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Yea, thats usually the case. :P I have a 10 gal that was a complete set up. The filter ended up going completely out and I had only had it a few months. It was an over the top kind with a bio filter...no wheel. What is a good filter..that is affordable also.??? And with the filter should I go by the recommended gallon on the box or one bigger? Ive thought of putting in an under gravel filter in conjunction with my over the top. Would that be too much for a 10 gal..would it be ok for something bigger?

RobbieG
08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I use a whisper 30 on my 10 gallon - seems to work very well. Its about the smallest of their line I've seen with seperate biological and mechanical filtration. AquaClear has a 30 also - I love their filters in general but haven't tried their 30.

Dave66
08-18-2007, 01:58 AM
You folks know that ABF breed in captivity? Long as you have both sexes and they are mature, they lay large, floating eggs that the male casually guards. Neither eat the eggs nor the fry, which look like tadpoles. They can take bbs immediately, though you need to have the fry in about six inches of water to get they and the food together. The parents eat whatever good floating food you provide. Pantodon bucholzi is the only member of its genus.

Dave

RobbieG
08-18-2007, 02:09 AM
How are they with each other Dave? I haven't really been able to get a lot of info on them from anyone I trusted - I have found a few sites with different (and unverifiable) opinions - so I have always kept mine solo.

Dave66
08-18-2007, 02:29 AM
How are they with each other Dave? I haven't really been able to get a lot of info on them from anyone I trusted - I have found a few sites with different (and unverifiable) opinions - so I have always kept mine solo.

You have to have a large surface area tank, plus some floating plants like water sprite. They also do well in planted tanks. When I kept them (I had six) they didn't squabble as they didn't seem to have a trace of aggression. Long as they have the space to move where they wish, there's no problems.
I never saw the breeding action, just found a couple dozen large amber eggs floating into the water sprite the next morning. About half I moved to a net, the rest I left with the parents. They hatched if I remember correctly in four days at 77. Fed the fry bbs and daphnia mixed with prepared.
You can tell the sexes by looking down from the top. The male has larger 'wings.' They are easy to keep, but will eat any fish that gets too close to the top. Neat fish, but you really have to keep that tank covered as they'll sail right out of it (don't ask me how I know this). They live a long time; mine were eight or nine when I sold them when I moved cross-country.

Dave

TowBoater
08-18-2007, 02:53 AM
I am also interested in them. I have a new plant that I think is like anubis or something, would that work for the fry? I can get one for 11$ right now at my LFS. I don't have room really for them though I don't think.

Dave66
08-18-2007, 03:02 AM
I am also interested in them. I have a new plant that I think is like anubis or something, would that work for the fry? I can get one for 11$ right now at my LFS. I don't have room really for them though I don't think.

Kuhli,
ABFs, both fry and adult, stay at the very top of the tank. When I kept them the Pantodons (means teeth everywhere) would ignore any food that didn't float. They seem to prefer a planted tank, don't ask me why, and they like floating plants so they can get out of each other's sight when they care to.
Picked the brain of an old timer in the aquarium club I was in at the time for care and husbandry of the species.
As I said above, they don't fight, but you need a larger surface area aquarium to keep a group of them. Those square aquariums Amano uses are perfect. The site: http://www.adgshop.com/Trimless_aquariums_s/5.htm

Dave

TowBoater
08-18-2007, 03:04 AM
I have a pretty densely planted aquarium now. I added a HUGE bunch of that floating stuff and I have a sword plant, banana plant, and about 10 other random plants.

cocoa_pleco
08-18-2007, 08:52 AM
i used to have a abf in a 33g. he wouldnt breed though for some reason, not sure why

RobbieG
08-18-2007, 12:44 PM
You have to have a large surface area tank, plus some floating plants like water sprite. They also do well in planted tanks. When I kept them (I had six) they didn't squabble as they didn't seem to have a trace of aggression. Long as they have the space to move where they wish, there's no problems.
I never saw the breeding action, just found a couple dozen large amber eggs floating into the water sprite the next morning. About half I moved to a net, the rest I left with the parents. They hatched if I remember correctly in four days at 77. Fed the fry bbs and daphnia mixed with prepared.
You can tell the sexes by looking down from the top. The male has larger 'wings.' They are easy to keep, but will eat any fish that gets too close to the top. Neat fish, but you really have to keep that tank covered as they'll sail right out of it (don't ask me how I know this). They live a long time; mine were eight or nine when I sold them when I moved cross-country.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I was a little concerned with conspecific aggression - I hadn't found many sites with firsthand info and didn't want to risk it on "it is said that" or "I think I read somwhere once"