PDA

View Full Version : Progress or all wrong?

MCools
06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I saw this story on my local news site this morning. I know they have the right idea, but are they going about it all wrong?

http://www.clickondetroit.com/pets/28268225/detail.html

Brhino
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
San Francisco is a bat@#$%-crazy nanny town. They pass laws banning every slightest thing that isn't 100% healthy, or 100% safe, or politically correct.

I guess the people that live there are okay with it, because they keep electing politicians that keep pushing those agendas, but man, I do not understand why people are willing to legislate away so much of their freedom.

Trillianne
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure they have the right idea quite right on that one..... its not just a ban on fish... their animal control keeps proposing different recommendations on bans for all kinds of pets in an effort to cut down on "impulse buying".

However, a ban on ownership or sale doesn't just rule out the impulsive, it rules out the responsible too.

I could see banning say... goldfish at amusement parks/carnivals. Or requiring licensing of pet stores for different types of animals to show that animals at the stores are taken care of well by educated employees.

MCools
06-17-2011, 11:06 PM
That's what I mean...a blanket ban like that is really not going to do any good for those who are responsible- it's like the law (don't remember if they passed it) that states that all animals over 4 months old need to be spayed or neutered. What is that going to achieve? Sure you get less strays, but you also will run out of legitimate pets as well...

I once heard a saying that I think can apply here : "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

In other words, they are going about doing the right thing in all the wrong ways...

Oh, and Brhino, I agree 100%. I often wonder about the entire state of California....I guess you could say i feel like it is a different country sometimes...

MrJim
06-18-2011, 01:00 AM
SanFran Libs~~they are special:shrug:

Goes to 11!
06-18-2011, 01:18 AM
San Francisco's Animal Control and Welfare Commission is recommending that the City ban the sale of goldfish, tropical fish and guppies.

Definitely not an ideal solution but lets be clear, A recommendation is not the same thing as legislation.

This is not yet a done deal.

. . . Just saying

Rue
07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
They just need to make the life of the animal more important. Banning something doesn't make it more important...

Oh wait...I could be wrong on that one...:hmm3grin2orange:

Cecile1
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
An added tidbit, in Maine, USA it is illegal to have outdoor fish ponds. My grandfather for a few years had it, and when we went to get another goldie, the pet store was not allowed to sell us the fish due to us saying we were to put it in a pond- man made and all.

I know that the state is trying to prevent people from putting domestic fish into natural ponds and them taking over, but I thought it a bit extreme. My aunt who works for Maine Audubon confirmed the law. Crazy isn't it?

Rue
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
It is crazy. But I see why it gets like that. People do things they shouldn't...and the authorities under-react. Then something BIG happens...and the authorities over-react...

Hopefully it will sort itself out if enough people want ponds again...

And it is sad that it takes all that...then petitions and whatnot to retract/rewrite the bylaws...to get to where it should have been in the first place.