PDA

View Full Version : tips on keeping Ludwigia repens

TheGts69
06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
hi all,

today i got some ludwigia repens and i am wondering does anybody have any tips on how to keep them in their best form and just general information on them...

thanks
TheGts69

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Trimming them makes them spread out more. You cut off about 6-8", stick those in the substrate and you'll have more plants. I had a hard time growing stem plants until I got substrate for plants. Nothing did very good in gravel.

TheGts69
06-05-2011, 11:00 PM
you mean you got special substrate? whats the name? i hear some people put a layer of organic dirt under the gravel to make their plants grow very well?

DrNic
06-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I've grown them in gravel and flourite, both worked fine for me. L. repens likes a good amount of light so put it somewhere there isn't much shade from other plants/decor. They don't like a lot of water movement though so don't put it right in front of your filter output.

Overall they are slower growers, compared to stem plants like hygros, so you might not see new growth until they are settled into the tank. If the plan is unhappy the bottom leaves will begin to fall off. If this happens trim off the bottom of the plant, re-root it and consider adding a small root tab under it.

Once the plant is growing well, if you lay it horizontally across the bottom on top of the gravel (with a few spots covered to keep it down), the stem will send multiple shoots up. It's an easy way to propagate the plant but works best on plants that are settled into the tank and actively growing.

Under proper conditions L. repens will generate a small yellow flower. It should generate the flower above the water but if it occurs below the water the flower can rot off quickly. Flower buds look like square-ish boxes toward the top of a stem.

Hope this helps!

TheGts69
06-06-2011, 12:23 PM
thanks for the info :D

i noticed that one plant had like a smaller plant growing out of it but i left it be and see what happends....

i have seen a picture of the flower it looks very cool