PDA

View Full Version : Crab compatability.....

shine17
05-18-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm wondering about the Emerald Crab and the Strawberry Crab...do either of these crabs survive in brackish water conditions? And can either be housed with Red Clawed Crabs?

Thought I would add to my aquarium diversity.

Gracias

Cliff
05-18-2011, 02:20 AM
From what I researched before getting my emerald crab, they need a salinity of 1.020 to 1.025. My emerald crabs seam to be doing really well with a salinity of 1.025

I don't know a lot about brackish, but from what I read brackish needs a lower salinity than that.

I don't think a emerald crab would do well in brackish waters, but that is based on my limited reading on brackish water set-ups

Spidyman
05-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Most brackish water animals can go full marine so you should be ok but I would reasearch rccs more.

shine17
05-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Yes I will have to do a bit more research. My RCCs came from freshwater, but of course I was advised through research that they much better in brackish water. I have provided them that, although I did not test the salinity, as I was told to just add 1tsp of marine salt to my tank every two or so weeks. Claw and Clawdios seem to be doing perfect in it, playing and eating and such. Clawdios as of yesterday began to molt.

But I'll take your advise and do more research before I jump on the idea of an emerald or strawberry crab.

Thanks

Cliff
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Keep in mind that your water will evaporate, but the salt won't

Buy adding 1tsp every two weeks or so, you will keep increasing your salinity unless you have been doing water changes as well.

shine17
05-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Keep in mind that your water will evaporate, but the salt won't

Buy adding 1tsp every two weeks or so, you will keep increasing your salinity unless you have been doing water changes as well.

I have been doing water changes. Glad you let me know about that, otherwise I would have been increasing the salinity through the roof.

Thanks for all your help.

Cliff
05-19-2011, 08:35 PM
It might be best to get a refactor meter and test the salinity to be safe