PDA

View Full Version : Info on dwarf Baby teardrops (HC)

DCroft37
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I got a shipment of this plant in a good while ago and hand no idea what I was doing with it. First I split it in about 3 bunches and planted right into the flourite. Then I began reading a little and ultimately took the clumps and divided them into stems and planted as many as I could stand into a 6X8 area. It looked really good at first then I noticed a lot of it started to turn grey and dead looking. I pulled a good bit of the worst looking pieces up leaving the greenest down. I ended up adding 3 times the light I started with and stopped pulling it out altogether about a month ago. Now its very very scarce in the tank but I have noticed, that I am starting to see what looks like tiny little bright green leaves coming up in new spots close to where some old rooted pieces are growing. THe old growth looks bad, but the stuff popping up looks like it may be coming back in really good shape.

My question is, Is that right? Does this plant grow that way and will it eventually spread, say at this rate in like a year?

The pic is a cell phone 3mbp pic, you can barely see the new growth up next to the rock the java fernlets are tied too.
I put a black circle around the new growth... maybe you can tell.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/Scarce_HC2_May_16.jpg

smaug
05-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I tried it once with similar experiances. I had intense lighting of almost 300 watts with high dosages of excel and proper ferts but no injected co2. It is stated to need co2 injection with this stuff,maybe others will chime in,but I had horrible luck with it.

DCroft37
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Besides some other mosses, This is the most difficult plant ive tried to grow. I really want that short carpeted look, but its gonna take forever this way. I may just look into some other short grass like plant other than HC. It is for advanced users, which I am not.

Thanks for your reply.

Anybody else know about HC? Anybody?

DCroft37
05-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Also, does anyone have any idea how much C02 the DIY co2 bottles generate? You know the Yeast in a plastic bottle with the tube attached to the filter intake so the filter can diffuse the gas into the tank. My Tap water, which is well water seems to be pretty high already in co2. Tested right from the tap the pH is 4.5. If I let it sit 24 hrs and let all the co2 escape, it reads 7.0.

I know that co2 cause your pH to drop, so that seems to me like a pretty good indication that my well water is high in co2?

Any thoughts on that?

SunSchein89
05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
I've seen some people that "dry start" a tank. You basically get some HC, plant it all over the tank and keep the water level just under the gravel line while completely sealing in moisture into the tank and constantly misting. It apparently grows and carpets a lot faster this way. Once it is where you like it, you fill the tank, but I'm not sure if co2 injection is needed after this point; I didn't look into it much further than that yet. It typically takes about a month to get a nice carpet going I think I saw.

MCHRKiller
05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
I had HC in my office tank for some time, it had DIY CO2 and took about 2-3months to fully carpet the front. HC requires high light and good CO2 levels or it just wont thrive, it will just sort of exist but not really grow much at all. With a dry start you will also get some die off when you submerge it, so it could be counter productive if you dont have tank conditions to its liking afterward. The primary benefit to a dry start is it lets its root system develope so it will stay put on the bottom as HC has very shallow roots it is easy for it to become dislodged from the substrate floor.