PDA

View Full Version : Polypterus senegalus :)

YaYgoldFish
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I went to my lfs today to look around and grab a few feeder comets for my guys..i came across a tank labeled "unknown" with a few random fish and this guy. I had no idea what it was, but i knew it was really awesome and didnt look like it had an illness or anything. I thought why not bring him home? I honstly doubt anyone else would of taken him home..Then i saw a few rams and fell in love with them! But i told myself id keep cichlids for another time. So i brang home my new bichir looking fishy..I was wondering if anyone else ever kept em and what to feed them. heres a few pictures :)

Sorry for the blurryness and red eyes -.- my canon has been acting up..

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=5z1zb7m

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4y03lvs

I found out he would get something like 12 inches, but guys guess what?

My freinds neighbour is giving him a 75g all equiped and im guna buy it off him for 200 bucks and my uncle is giving me an old fluval 304!
This kinda bring me to another question, whats the difference between the fluval 304 and 305?

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
I would feed NLS. What were you getting feeders for?

The 05 line is the newest line from Fluval. There are a few differences (besides looks) between the 04 and 05 lines, but the differences are big. They are mainly the tank rim adapter and the intake strainer.

salman
07-20-2007, 12:59 AM
I would feed NLS. What were you getting feeders for?

The 05 line is the newest line from Fluval. There are a few differences (besides looks) between the 04 and 05 lines, but the differences are big. They are mainly the tank rim adapter and the intake strainer.

I second NLS.

YaYgoldFish
07-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Alright thanks guys..isnt NLS fpr cichlids?..and fishguy2727: I was getting the feeders for my barracudas and at same time wanted to get baby guppies for my tinfoil barbs to see if theyd eat them..I have this problem with my tank tho..It's like i managed to get 3 different kinds of supposedly semi to super aggressive fish in my tank ( tinfoils,barracudas, and now Polypterus) and they all get along with my shrimp and snails, but ill put in a goldfish and the two tinfoils will beat it up, and my cudas come and swoop in grabbing the fish and eating it..of course i put in my 12 comet at a time but after a few hours my tinfoils will have killed a few :\

Other thank that i love my new guy, he started swimming around, but hasnt eaten anything yet.

ps. anyone know a common name for Polypterus senegalus ?

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Bichir, brown bichir, cuvier's bichir, dinosaur eel.

I wouldn't worry about live foods with the tinfoils. And I personally would try and get the barracuda off live, they do much better on high quality pellets like NLS, which is for any fish, many invertebrates, and even things like aquatic amphibians.

YaYgoldFish
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Well i guess i have good news for you Fishguy....I was putting in small pieces of frizen shrimp forom the super market and my bichir would get to eat a piece and then my female cuda would snatch it away. My tinfoils ate it too, but my male cudda really gives no attention to it. But i remember once i couldnt get comets for a week and when i put in flake foods for my tinfoils and my male cuda went for it, same with freeze dried bloodworms.

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
That is usually the best way to switch, get them hungry.

YaYgoldFish
07-20-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah but what scares me is that the little flakes and bloodwoorms are soo smal theyd have to eat like 50 to equal to a goldfish..ill rpobly get the NLS tuesday..

Fishguy2727
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Exactly, get some high quality pellets (can't beat NLS) and that should fill them up.

YaYgoldFish
07-22-2007, 01:49 AM
You should be happy to know im getting NLS tuesday and theirs only 1 goldfish left in the tank, so im guessing tomorow is the start of my cuddas's cut of live foods.

troy
07-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Why don't you put all of your fish in the 75g instead of the 55 your planning on getting.

YaYgoldFish
07-22-2007, 02:42 AM
no room ...

troy
07-22-2007, 02:49 AM
What are you going to do with the 75 then.

Drumachine09
07-22-2007, 02:52 AM
What are you going to do with the 75 then.

Ship it to me free of charge?!?!?!?!?!

YaYgoldFish
07-22-2007, 02:54 AM
lol i dont even have a 75g i have no clue what hes talking about..

RobbieG
07-22-2007, 03:12 AM
I think he just misread your signature

troy
07-22-2007, 08:41 PM
On the first post you were gonna buy a 75gallon off your friend.

YaYgoldFish
07-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Ohh yeah, sorry. It isnt sure yet..

:ssad::ssad::ssad:
My poor little guy got eaten by my cudda...I should of known..urgh i feel so bad for it..I got back from work and i couldn't find it, i looked everywhere and saw that my cudda was HUGE and it was kind of still sticking out its mouth. I spent 15 minutes getting the bichir out, he was still in good condition..except for the huge cut ...ugh..i thought my lfs guys were always so honnest and nice with me..(free stuff) i guess this time they wanted my ten bucks...definitly getting NLS...or giving cuddas back..:ssad:

Rue
07-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your bichir...

...what species are you referring to a baracuda?

YaYgoldFish
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
The freshwater barracuda, aka rocket gar. If you look it up on google youll get pages saying like "dangerous species" and junk like that. It's the one they mostly catch on fishing shows.

Fishguy2727
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Hujeta gar?

YaYgoldFish
07-24-2007, 01:27 AM
eactly..sorry i couldnt find the word on my other post i had like 5 minutes and forgot the word.

@ fishguy2727, do you still think i could get them to eat NLS?

Fishguy2727
07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
You may need to start with Hikari Food Sticks. This food is specifically designed to get finicky top feeding carnivores to switch to prepared foods. That is how I got the hujeta gar at work to take pellets. Once they eat that you just switch to NLS.

YaYgoldFish
07-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Alright ill do that..going to the pet tomorow, ill let you know.

poly
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
I have a quick question if anyone knows the answer here.
I have a polypterus at my parents' home. They're taking care of him but I stopped by to get a look and he's much smaller and it seems the last inch of his tail now twist abnormally. Any ideas what this could be?

Fishguy2727
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
If it was normal before and is now deformed, one strong possibility is a stray current. This can be from a cracked heater, or a defect in the filter, something that allows an electric current into the water. If this is the case you replace that piece of equipment and you can also add a grounding probe. Coralife has a grounding probe.