PDA

View Full Version : Danio died

kenyth
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
All of a sudden one of my Danios started hanging at the top. Not gasping at the surface with his mouth, but just hanging there, almost with the head at a slight downward angle, like he was tired or something. He was still eating heartily and swimming and there were no outward signs of any damage or infection. The only reason I even noticed is because the Danios are usually nuts and swim like crazy! Within one day, he was dead and stuck to the filter stem. None of the other fish are showing any symptoms.

I had him for about seven months and he has been full grown for the duration. Are Danios short lived? Could it have been a natural death?

hungryhound
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
it could be natural death, but did you check your parameters to make sure that every thing was okay.

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I just lost a danio myself after having him a year. Unfortunately one of my long finned and not one of the zebra's that I can't stand.

kenyth
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
it could be natural death, but did you check your parameters to make sure that every thing was okay.

Nitrate was a little above normal, which is usually almost nothing, but way below the danger zone. I wasn't able to change the water on schedule. I was about four days overdue.

I have heavy biological filtering, a snail population, some Hogwort, and I'm not scared to let a little algae grow. I find this combination to really help keep parameters in check, even if I'm late changing water.

kenyth
07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I just lost a danio myself after having him a year. Unfortunately one of my long finned and not one of the zebra's that I can't stand.

I had to ditch a large and very attractive long finned Zebra Danio. He wound up becoming a feeder fish. He was a fin nipper and a bit of a bully.

Incredulous_Ed
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Sory to hear that kenyth. Danios are short lived, so if he was full grown it could have been a natural death. :/