PDA

View Full Version : Can you have to many air stones

Sirex
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
How much air is to much?

I have 3 air stones which I can regulate is there a point where it stresses out fish?

Thanks

player
02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
What size tank are we talking?

Strider199
02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
IMO I dont think there is such a thing as too many air stones. Some plants may not do well in the turbulance but most fish like the challenge of swimming against the current. Just make sure there are a few quiet places for the fish to rest and relax when they need it.

BrandonBCA
02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Depends on the fish and what you're worried about. Dissolved O2 maxes out at around 12ppm, so not really possible to have too much dissolved O2. If it's turbulence you're worried about, it depends on your fish but most will do just fine with the little bit of turbulence caused by airstones.

Sirex
02-28-2011, 04:23 AM
I have a 46 gal bow.

I will have tetras and corry cats with plant.

JohnnyRaggs
02-28-2011, 04:34 AM
I have never heard of too much air. I have a 46 bow and have two air strips lined up against the back of the tank so that the air bubbles create a "curtain" of air at the back of the tank. Have never had issues. I think that any excess air just doesn't get absorbed. I think that its always better to have too much air then not enough, especially if you live in a hot enviroment because as the temperature rises, O2 lowers.

Brhino
02-28-2011, 04:35 AM
do you have live plants? Too much agitation will reduce the amount of dissolved CO2 in the water, which will be bad for the plants.

fishmasterflash
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
IMO I dont think there is such a thing as too many air stones. Some plants may not do well in the turbulance but most fish like the challenge of swimming against the current. Just make sure there are a few quiet places for the fish to rest and relax when they need it.
+1
i've never had a problem with it, although some species of fish don't like to many currents

Lady Hobbs
02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
My planted tanks that get dosed with Excel both have airstones. My cichlid tank does not have an airstone but has a canister filter and an AC110 so it's not needed.

Some fish are from quiet waters and don't like all that. My angels stay on the quiet end of my tank so they are not by the airstone.