PDA

View Full Version : Betta Brain Damage?

pnphappy
07-09-2007, 02:24 AM
I just finished a small 64 fl oz juice bottle tank for my betta so that I can put it into the 20 gallon without other fish eating it. After I put the betta in, the fish seemed dead, but it was still breathing. I don't know if it is just freaked out, or maybe I had it in the air too long. I had it out for oh, ~10 seconds in the air as I tried to put the net into the smaller tank within the large 20 gal. Did the fish sustain some brain damage from the lack of oxygen? I hope not. I know that humans devoid of air for a minute or two would have severe brain failure and die pretty quickly. I have the lights off now, and hopefully it will recover tommorrow.

Betta_noob
07-09-2007, 03:30 AM
No I don't believe that harmed the betta at all.
But I'm trying to understand this "bottle tank" you've made for him. How is he getting oxygen from the surface?

pnphappy
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
He is. If you ever bought Simply Orange brand orange juice, then you will have a better view of how the setup works.

Imagine a standard 20 gallon aquarium. Here is the empty juice bottle all clean and with the top "neck" cut off. There are holes everywhere about 1cm in size for water flow. I'm floating the bottle at the top of the aquarium and it is attacahed to the side by a paperclip string combo. The fish has access to the air that is in the section above the tank. I would release it into the tank if it weren't for the fact that the tetras would nip his fins off like crazy (how do I know...).

I had to move him into the 20 gallon because I cracked his 1 gallon bowl. He's fine now, I don't see why he was so shocked yesterday.

tropfish
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
did you take time to acclimate him? The PH in the bowl was probably different then the one in the tank. Also the temperature was higher in the 20g most likely.

pnphappy
07-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, a quick 3 min acclimation to mainly pH. He's fine now. I'm working on a two juice bottle combo to make his "home" bigger.

tropfish
07-09-2007, 08:19 PM
3 mintues is too quick to acclimate. You need at LEAST 15-20 minutes to acclimate. He probably had PH shock but acccustomed to it and is fine now.

gm72
07-10-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd say even 15-20 minutes is pretty quick. Most of us here take maybe an hour or so to acclimate fish to a new tank.

pnphappy
07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I'd say even 15-20 minutes is pretty quick. Most of us here take maybe an hour or so to acclimate fish to a new tank.

15 to 60 min? Oops. I'll make a note of it.