PDA

View Full Version : Clown Pleco

zackish
07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Today I went to the pet shop planning on getting a bunch of oto cats but the guy ended up talking me into a clown pleco. I have a 29g planted tank. How do you all think he is going to work out? I plan on cardinal tetras and a small school of panda corys.

YaYgoldFish
07-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Well he would look good, but they do NOT eat algea, nor plants. I was looking around and came across this page full of info, if you need it here it is:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/329.htm

zackish
07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Well damit what do I do now. I wanted something to take care of the algae. Can I put otto cats in with the pleco?

RobbieG
07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Shouldn't be a problem - keep in mind that any fish will generally eat only one kind of algae. I think the Oto's eat brown but may be wrong.

Don't be too surprised when you still have to clean up the other types.

zackish
07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I called them and they let me bring the pleco back to get the ottos but just as I was walking in a guy bought the last 3!!!
But the 2 kids there are real cool and I am getting to know them. They just gave me my money back.

gm72
07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Always make sure you research your fish thoroughly before bringing them home. Although the stores sometimes let you bring them back, what a stress to the fish! Better to know what you are doing, bring them home, and keep them at home.

Sounds like you have a good relationship though with the LFS people. Good job. When I bought my most recent addition, a 40 gallon long tank, I couldn't fit the stand in my car. One of the ladies there just put it in her jeep and followed me home with it. Very cool.

troy
07-07-2007, 02:18 AM
That was nice of them.