PDA

View Full Version : hockeyhead's 55 gal SW

Pages : [1] 2

hockeyhead019
10-27-2010, 03:05 AM
Alright here we go, this will most likely be a rather long post so you might wanna sit down as I attempt to bore you to death while I bring you up to speed of where I'm at.

Ok so I'm on a rather tight budget since I'm still in college and have to pay for school myself, which is completely fine but it will just inhibit my progress some.

Anyways my plan is to have a 55 gallon tank which will eventually be a reef tank, you know fish rock sps and hopefully an anemone, the system will have a 20 gallon sump and as many DIY things as I can do without endangering the system's inhabitants

So far I have the two tanks and PVC set up for my overflow system (still only a dry fit hasn't been glued together in-case I decide to make changes)

55 Gallon Beast (for me at least haha I know most of you have double the size):
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_2010-10-26_19-09-55_5.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=2010-10-26_19-09-55_5.jpg)

That's post cleaning... well at least some of the cleaning haha need to do a more thorough windexing on the outside eventually

20 Gallon sump: it's just a regular looking 20 gallon long haha nothing special I'm sure we've all seen them before haha I'll post pictures once I get it set up with the compartments the way I have it in my head lol

And here's my rough draft of a over flow type system:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_2010-10-26_19-32-41_912.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=2010-10-26_19-32-41_912.jpg)

And finally a little shot to show you how it will hang on the tank... hopefully haha:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_2010-10-26_19-33-44_397.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=2010-10-26_19-33-44_397.jpg) From outside the tank
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_2010-10-26_19-33-57_976.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=2010-10-26_19-33-57_976.jpg)

From inside the tank... the intake is a little high I think but I'm gonna test it out and see how it goes with just water in the tank once I get all my equipment for a wet test. Also there will be some screen over the top and I'll probably cut slits in as well

So ok now on to my plan of action:

1. Pick up my MAG pump this weekend (MAG 12, pumps out 1200gph which I know is overkill but I figured it can't hurt): This weekend

2. Begin construction on stand for tank of 2x4's (will be very sturdy, mix of 2x4's and plywood sheeting): Hopefully Friday night

3. Pick up skimmer and power heads : TBD

4. Do a wet test of all equipment OUTSIDE and make sure all my plumbing and fiddle with my rates so that they are equal (siphon out of tank = pumping into tank) : After stand is complete and plumbing has been tested and glued haha (might be changed to basement due to cold weather)

5. FISH!!!! No I'm completely kidding haha

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head... I mean I know I'm skimming the surface but for the love of God the post is already long enough haha so I won't get into my plan for cycling and all that good stuff yet

As for right now I'm researching my lighting options, I want to do DIY because I have no problem getting it all wired up accordingly and all that hooha but I just don't wanna F it up and then have to but a 130 dollar fixture anyways lol

Also I need to figure out where I'm going to put this bad boy in my room... I started with the notion of the foot of my bed but I think I might move the 20 gal fresh over there since it will fit better and I'll put this sucker over on the wall where the fresh was, which will work out because they'll both still have access to an outlet.

Plans for power are to just run a power strip from the nearest outlet and go from there accordingly. Haven't really looked into the consumption and whether or not it'll blow my breaker. It should be a 15A breaker so if it is too much I can always spread the load out a little.

So if anybody has any advice feel free to chime in haha I've been reading "The New Aquarium" by Michael Paletta which has been great very knowledgeble but if you guys have any tips from what I've written already feel free to chime in. Like I said progress will be slow so don't get too excited haha

-Jim

Cliff
10-27-2010, 03:51 AM
I was hoping you would be starting you SW journal soon.

If your looking into lighting, and if you are going to get/build a canopy, you might want to look into Tek retrofit kits. They are HO T5s. Basically, all the pcs you need to build a T5 light fixture into your canopy. Might be worth looking into. I seen info from others who have used these and saved a truckload of $$$$. I've been thinking about doing this for my tank

Your mag 12 may not be that much overkill. I donít know much about them. But you might want to verify at what height you get the 1200 gph at? You can loose between 100 and 200 gph per each foot of height. Some manufactures stat pump capacity with factoring in some height, while others do not. Either way, if you have at least a 1.5Ē drain line, you will be able to have 1200 gph of flow from your return pump.

I donít think you can have too much flow provided you sump and drain line will be able to keep Ėup.

labnjab
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I think the mag 12 will be too much for your overflow. We run a mag 9.5 wide open on our 75 which is a reef ready tank with a 1 inch drain and 4 feet head and I think anything higher will not keep up.

You can, however plumb in a bypass to dial it down. Basically you tee the return line. On that t you have 1 end going the the display and 1 back to the sump. You put a valve on the one going back to the sump so you can control the flow. You can also just put a ball valve on the return line, but it puts back pressure on the pump which can shorten its life. The bypass eliminates the back pressure and even allowed me to run the 9.5 on a 29 gallon with a HOB overflow.

Here's how we had our bypass when we had a 29 gallon. We don't need one on the 75
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/jabsgirlforever/P1010002-35.jpg

hockeyhead019
10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Cliff, I know the standard rating is 1200gph, however at my planned height of about 4' I believe I read it's around 625gph or so. Which will be fine from what I've read you want to have your tank water turned 6-8 times per hour, and this will put me at almost 10 times.

Here's a link to the idea for my sump design, however as I think about it I don't know how restricting the bubble catch walls will be in terms of flow

Here's a link to the youtube videos I plan to follow with: Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o&feature=channel) and here's part 2: Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8&feature=channel)

It looks rather simple but I want to make sure it won't be too restrictive in terms of flow

Labnjab, I had seen you post that somewhere else and thought it was brilliant because it won't stress the pump by creating back pressure but it won't upset the balance. I was definitely planning on implementing this into my return line :)

Cliff
10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I really like Labnjabs bypass suggestion.

This way you will able to add a reactor latter on should you decide to, and you won't need to buy a second pump (like I had to :scry: ).

hockeyhead019
11-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Ok so I got my MAG 12 drive today and it came with this foam pre filter type thing, just curious if you guys use these or not? I mean I assume that you would to keep the intake of bubbles and any debris out of the pump, but I figured I'd ask and see what the traditional thing to do was haha

Hopefully gonna start work on my stand some time this week, didn't get the chance this weekend but hopefully can find some time this week to start construction, I have a plan for how I want to build it but it's just going to be a matter of getting my act together and then getting a couple of metal elbow supports I'll have pictures as I start building the stand

Cliff
11-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Glad to here you got your pump. With Labnjob bypass, you'll be set.

As for the pump prefilter, personally, based only on what I have read, I would not use one. They can lead to more nitrates if you donít remove and clean them every 2 to 3 days. With a good bubble trap, you should not have to worry. I would sooner use a filter sock as you can get 2 or 3 of them so you can remove and wash them when you have the time. More student friendly IMO.

I'm looking forward to pics of the stand biuld. I love building them out of wood, so I'm really interested in seeing a metal stand biuld.

hockeyhead019
11-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Well the stand will be made of wood primarily (2x4's), but it will have reinforced corners and intersections by metal braces.

And ok so no prefilter, check.

Cliff are you using any type of substrate in your sump? Or did you leave it bare bottom? I've seen both I'm just curious to see what you've done.

Anybody else feel free to comment on any of my questions haha

Cliff
11-01-2010, 01:17 AM
No substraight in my sump, bare bottom. No room for it, nor do I want sand sucked up into any of my equipment, no refugium in my sump. I don't think you would need sand or any other type of substright unless you have a refugium in your sump or as a separate tank.

I'll try and post pics this week of my sump

hockeyhead019
11-01-2010, 02:18 AM
cool cool... also as an update, I'm thinking that I could make my own reactor chamber out of some type of bottle or something and run a pipe to the bottom and have the offshoot of my pump push water through the reactor chamber and then back into the sump

Maybe looking something like this (in an extremely ghetto drawing on printer paper haha):
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_2010-10-31_21-53-48_851.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=2010-10-31_21-53-48_851.jpg)

Basically what I'm thinking is I can use my MAG 12 drive for dual purpose. One and mainly to pump water back into the tank. And second to pump water through the reactor through that T break.

The original T is so that I can control the rate of return vs the rate of overflow, so I figured I could use the offshoot from the return line to pump water through a reactor with some media (don't know what kind yet though)

Anybody see any problems with this? I haven't run a test on my overflow set up to see roughly how many gph it can handle and how much I'll have to tame my pump (if at all)

More to come on this when I get a wet test going of the full system, but just spit balling ideas right now

hockeyhead019
11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok no major progress to report unfortunately haven't had the time to do anything but research lately :/ O well... I've been looking at lighting and I've reached the conculsion that I'm just gonna drop the largest amount of cash on that sucker looking like $300ish which kinda eats up the majority of my budget :( but it'll just delay the entire process slightly, anyways I'm looking at a Catalina T5 6x54w fixture so that way I can just keep whatever coral I want haha (or at least that's what I tell myself lol)

Things to do:

1. Stand (I really hope this will be done this weekend since it's the main thing holding up my progress at this point)

2. Baffles in sump (quick but I just haven't had the time as of late to knock it out, should be this week or next)

3. Get everything moved into the room and get the system running with water (will probably be just fresh water at first so I can tweak my plumbing and make sure everything is gravy before I mix the salt water)

That's the short term plan. Right now it's still in the reading/researching stage but I'm really looking forward this whole process... hitchhikers on the rock are something I look forward to in particular haha

-Jim

Cliff
11-08-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm looking forword to the Sunday night pic up-dates of all you work

No pressure tho :hmm3grin2orange:

You know I'm just teasing you. But I am looking forword to see the progress as you go. It's really cool to see your up-dates as we are both learning and setting up our first salt water tanks at the same time.

hockeyhead019
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Yea definitely convenient to have you working on your tank at the same time! Even though you're slightly (read WAY) ahead of me lol

And hopefully I'll have some pics on sunday haha.... emphasis on the hopefully lol

hockeyhead019
11-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Nothing accomplished this weekend... maybe some time this week but I really need to get this stand built so that I can get the ball rolling

Cliff
11-15-2010, 01:17 AM
I know how you feel. I hate it when I'm to busy work on something for a new set-up

But you do realize I'll be looking for pics next weekend :hmm3grin2orange:

hockeyhead019
11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Lol that's what I was telling myself last night "How could I have let Cliff down" lol but yea definitely hoping to get the stand and hopefully some baffles put in place in my sump at some point this week (stand is higher in priority clearly lol)

hockeyhead019
11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Ok here we go... the frame of the stand is shown here:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101117_210314.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101117_210314.jpg)

There is the skeleton (not a great picture haha took it from my phone)

The plan is to add doors for the front and a plywood backing and probably two more supports on the back side just to make it extra sturdy.

Pretty simple construction, only took me about an hour and a half. Circular saw (great because it just buzzed through the 2x4's haha) 5 2x4's (the cheap construction grade ones) a bunch of dry wall screws (yea that's all we had and I didn't feel like going back out since they got the job done) and a drill driver... mission accomplished.

Now I'll cut the remaining length so that my PVC drain line enters the sump where I want it to as well as make my return line (a mix between flexible 3/4" line and 3/4" PVC)

Anybody have any tips on how to get your drain line to stay in one place? the way I made mine it leans lol so I need to figure out some way to get it to just be mounted.

Making progress.... slowly... very slowly haha

Cliff
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Excellent, its all starting to come together now.

I would also suggest 2 additional 2X4s added at each corner in between the top frame and the bottom frame. This will give you direct wood to wood contact directly from the tank to the floor. It will make it even more solid. But then again, I like to over build my stand a little.

Have you picked a skimmer yet? The reason why I ask is that you might want to make sure that you leave enough height so the skimmer will fit in your sump and you have enough room to remove the cup as well as removing the skimmer for routine monthly maintenance. I would hate to see you limited in your skimmer choices due to stand height.

hockeyhead019
11-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Yea I was definitely planning on adding corner pieces to give tank to wood to wood to ground contact... and as far as skimmers go the inside is around 25 inches which will be tight since from what most of the one's I've been looking at are around 23" in height or so... I was gonna get the eShopps 150 I think it was. And I don't plan on having to empty the cup too much. I was going to run clear tubing into a 2 liter bottle so the cup from the skimmer just drains all the gunk into that.

RokitSynth
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
looks like a great start!

Cliff
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
... and as far as skimmers go the inside is around 25 inches which will be tight since from what most of the one's I've been looking at are around 23" in height or so... I was gonna get the eShopps 150 I think it was. And I don't plan on having to empty the cup too much. I was going to run clear tubing into a 2 liter bottle so the cup from the skimmer just drains all the gunk into that.

I would be a little concerned if you could not remove the cup and the skimmer for occational cleanings. The stuff that gets pulled out of the water will coat the inside of the cup and your skimmer with a flim of gunk and it stinks like you would not beleave.

My skimmer has a biult in fitting in the cup for the same line that you are talking about. I'm not using it tho, it just seamed like another part that I would have to clean. Everyone I talked to, and even the manufacture's instructions, suggests giving the inside of the skimmer body and cup a really good cleaning at least once a month.

Just make sure you can do that and you should be set thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
I think I'll be ok with being able to get it in and out, only time will tell though and I'll be kind of bummed if I have to downgrade what I was plannin on using because of that... we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

The skimmer will be my next purchase and then I'll put some water in the tank and just get everything up and running

I appreciate all the advice/guidance Cliff!

hockeyhead019
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Really am not liking the look of the plumbing currently to the sump... would much rather have a drilled spot for an over flow in the back top right corner of the tank... I'm looking around for tuts on how to drill your own tank, doesn't seem very hard, just need a diamond bit and water to cool it, just have to find the bit that'll do the job for a 1-1/2" overflow line or maybe I'll be knocking down the size of my proposed drain line, since my return pump goes through 3/4" and can get 1000gph (that's minus head) I'm thinking I could knock down the size of my drain line... thoughts?

Back to reading lol

labnjab
11-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Check your local fish store. One around here will drill a tank for $25. You can also use a HOB overflow too.

hockeyhead019
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
no local stores besides petsmart etc... plus I could do it myself and get a diamond bit out of the deal haha... I was thinking about an overflow box but I'm worried about power outages and overflows... from what I've read an HOB overflow won't keep it's siphon to keep working after it loses it. A regular in tank overflow will..

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as there are frequent outages around me and they usually last a couple hours so I don't want to have to worry about things over flowing since that would suck to have 30 gallons of water pour out onto my floor lol

Cliff
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Do you have a local reef club in your area ?

You can usally find someone who drills tanks there if you can't find anyone at your LFS

Or, have you consider one of these ?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/of-cs150/CPR+C-Siphon+Aquarium+Overflow+-+CS150+Deluxe+%281600GPH%29.html

labnjab
11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
A drilled tank is nice, I love ours, but I heard drilling a tank is tricky and can result in a broken tank. There is another alternative to a standard HOB overflow. A u-tube HOB overflow will have problems with power outages, but one of the cpr overflows will restart themselves. You hook them up to a aqualifter pump. When the power returns the pump starts the siphon again. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS326&q=cpr+overflow&aq=0&oq=cpr+ov#q=cpr+overflow&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS326&prmd=ivs&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=d7TmTMbjLIG8lQfAk4CwCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CD8QrQQwAg&biw=1440&bih=775&fp=a9a4c364e3bd645b

hockeyhead019
11-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Do you have a local reef club in your area ?

You can usally find someone who drills tanks there if you can't find anyone at your LFS

Or, have you consider one of these ?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/of-cs150/CPR+C-Siphon+Aquarium+Overflow+-+CS150+Deluxe+%281600GPH%29.html

Considered it but that's almost another $200 I'd have to spend ya know? I think I'll drill the tank doesn't look extremely difficult but I'll have to take my time with it to make sure I get it done right (Just like anything else lol).

Cliff
11-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Sorry bud, I keep forgetting your on a fix budget as a student

Post some pics if you end up drilling the tank your self. I'd love to see how that works

domjd05
11-20-2010, 01:21 AM
I thought you couldn't drill tempered glass? Or is that what the diamond bit is for?

hockeyhead019
11-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Only the bottom of the tank is tempered, the sides are just normal glass... and the diamond tip is just so it works lol can't cut glass with steal or carbon fiber... both have been tried and the drill will just run down the glass...

Cliff yea the budget is a b**** lol but hey I wanna do this so I'm gonna make it work haha I'll definitely post some pics when I do it (should be tomorrow) and possibly a video... most likely just pictures tho haha

domjd05
11-20-2010, 02:25 AM
OH I see. My 125 had a overflow and returns drilled from the bottom.. I liked having the return in the tank but the overflow inside the tank stunk. I bet it will work better on the side like you're going to do.

hockeyhead019
11-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Yea if you have things going through the bottom then you've had tempered glass drilled and yea I don't think an over flow from the bottom would work as well but idk I'm hoping this works out well haha I'll be heading to Sears Hardware later today to get the bit and hopefully the tank will be drilled by this evening or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it went

hockeyhead019
11-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Ok well the bit I need to core out the hole is nowhere around me so I'm ordering it online. Made a little progress today, created my return line and water tested that... works great no leaks and I can semi control the amount of flow going to the main tank via a tee line I installed to determine how much water goes back into the sump and how much goes to the main tank... works like a charm and man o man can that MAG drive crank out some water lol

As for the rest of this weekend (which has gone by way too fast) I'm going to try and install the baffles for my sump after I get all the water out from the test tonight and probably going to make my own overflow box inside the tank, just out of plexi-glass and I'll silicone it to the tank where I plan to have it.

domjd05
11-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Thats what I was talking about, I had a overflow that was built inside the tank... it was a major pain to keep clean, it works well.. but it's a lot of work. If I had to go back and do it again I'd get the HOB overflows in a heartbeat.

Cliff
11-21-2010, 02:27 AM
As for the rest of this weekend (which has gone by way too fast) I'm going to try and install the baffles for my sump after I get all the water out from the test tonight and probably going to make my own overflow box inside the tank, just out of plexi-glass and I'll silicone it to the tank where I plan to have it.

I would suggest going with glass baffles. Silicone will not stick very well to plexi-glass. That'e why I found a local glass shop to cut some baffles for my new 55 gallon sump.

hockeyhead019
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Hmmm good point Cliff, but I was thinking what's the point of having baffles anyways? Just curious lol I mean I know they act as bubble traps but is there another benefit to them besides controlling the flow?

And domjd5 idk mine won't be real big so hopefully it really isn't too much of a pain but I guess I'll have to wait and see since my bit is on the way and due to arrive the first week of december.

Just about finished the stand today, well by that I mean I added some support and backed it with plywood, but i'm thinking about just leaving the front open... idk I think it'd be kinda cool to see the sump but i haven't completely decided on that yet lol.

Cliff
11-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Hmmm good point Cliff, but I was thinking what's the point of having baffles anyways? Just curious lol I mean I know they act as bubble traps but is there another benefit to them besides controlling the flow?.

From what I've learned by setting my my sump is that you can use the baffles to determine the water level in each compartment. If your using a in-sump skimmer that would be important. Also, making you pump compartment deep enough for your pump and to allow for a little evaportation while your away These could be two different depths.

You would want use the hight of your baffles to allow for the maximum water hight you can (to increase your total water volumn) and to allow for enough room to hold any back flow should the power go out.

I hope this is more useful than my last post :hmm3grin2orange:

hockeyhead019
11-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Ok gotcha... thanks for the info!

hockeyhead019
11-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Well the executive decision has been made... no baffles in the sump... I've been reading around and really haven't seen enough of a benefit to them so I think I'm gonna do without, I know it really isn't that big of a deal but just figured I'd keep you guys informed about the thought/build process of the tank. I'm buying an Ice Cap 660 system off a dude in Cali. for 100 so that's an awesome deal and then I'll begin construction of my lighting hood... yup decided to go DIY after all I'll have pictures up when I start building it

Cliff
11-23-2010, 03:45 AM
You have peeked my curiosity about the baffle-less sump. Iím really interested to see how it will work. That option had never occurred to me when planning and setting up my sump

hockeyhead019
11-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Nor did it to me until I actually sat and thought about it for a little and I was like what they heck to do they even do haha...

From my reading the basic purpose of them is to act as a bubble trap and to keep the water level controlled in the different compartments.

People have warned me about having evaporation and having to tinker with my skimmer, however I plan to have an auto top off system so that shouldn't be a problem since they said the evaporation will cause a change in the water level, again I'm not worried since I'll have an auto top off... biggest problem I think will be bubbles... However I honestly don't know until I really run my system fully.

When I did a test on my return line the pump wasn't creating any major issues with the return line into the sump bubbling up... I'll have to post a pic some time tomorrow of my return line set up so you guys have some idea what I'm talking about since I know I've begun to ramble haha

hockeyhead019
11-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Ice Cap 660 system w/ end caps has been purchased today. I've also found Ice Cap individual reflectors on foster&smith's site, grand total for all equipment will be around 250 which is pretty solid to get a 4 lamp system up and running. I'm happy with it at least, plus it gives me the ability to add later on another pair of bulbs to try and get some nice corals in there, but baby steps for now haha

Should be purchasing my skimmer soon as well. Going for the eshopps psk 100 which is rated up to 75 gallons so I should be fine and it's gotten solid reviews online for the price of only 115.

After that is bought and the tank has been drilled I'll be breaking in the skimmer and just letting it do it's thing for a while and then I'll add the sand and rock and start my cycle hopefully around the end of December. Until then the reading and questioning will continue lol

Cliff
11-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I've heard some good things about Ice Cap products. I think you will be happy with your lighting

biggest problem I think will be bubbles... However I honestly don't know until I really run my system fully.

If you do get bubbles in your sump which get sucked up by the skimmer and becomes a problem for it, you can aways put a filtersock on the drain line to get rid of all the bubbles. Thats what I had to do in my old sump and it worked great.

Just keep in mind you will need 2 or 3 of them so you can change them every 2 to thres days allowing you time to wash the dirty one so its ready to go back on the tank.

hockeyhead019
11-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Yup thanks for the heads up Cliff... from what I've read this skimmer really doesn't put out a lot of bubbles back into the sump, those that it does are micro and you really can't tell... so I'm hoping that goes smoothly haha

Next update probably will be the lighting build so stay tuned but there will probably be about a week or so in down time.

hockeyhead019
11-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok well the coring bit came today and is the completely wrong size haha so that kinda sucks but I was able to take it back and get the 20 bucks back. So I think I'm just gonna stick with my original idea of how to plumb the tank. Definitely doesn't look as appealing but it'll get the job done and I think it'll be fine (he says over confidently haha)

Side not I ordered the light bulbs and reflectors as well as the Eshopps in sump skimmer which will fit perfectly in my sump...

Starting to get more and more excited as I approach the time to get rock and sand into the tank

For my bulbs I got all ATI since I've read great things about them.

2 x ATI Blue (blue bulbs but put out a huge amount of PAR)
1 x 12k Daylight bulb
1 x Purple Plus

Well I'll start with them and see how they look... I can see it being very blue and florescent haha but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'll post again once I start building the lights and after I test the overflow to make sure it passes the power outage test haha

Cliff
11-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I think your going to like that lighting with those bulbs. It's almost the same as one fixture at our SW LFS and it really brings out the color of the corals and fish

I'm going to take the same type of approach for my lighting as well

hockeyhead019
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Yea Cliff after searching and searching I found this is the most cost efficient way to do it... most likely won't look as pretty as a factory built fixture but it'll definitely do the job from everything I've read. Especially if I add another two bulbs later on (which I'd like to do for the sun rise/set action)

Side note, finally wet tested the plumbing, and it works well but the drain can't keep up with my pump to save it's life haha I'm looking into ways to maximize flow but I'm thinking I may need a second drain line, I'll be tinkering for a while but bottom line is it all works which is great! Skimmer and all lighting is due to arrive at the end of the week or so. I'll break the skimmer in downstairs in the basement and then empty everything out and move it up to my room

Cliff if I'll make sure to post pictures of the lighting and everything pretty in detail if you'd like, it really doesn't seem that hard but I wanna build it so it looks sharp haha

Rue
11-29-2010, 05:01 PM
I wish I was a bit more 'handy'. I'm good with duct tape and bailer twine...otherwise not so good...

Good job!thumbs2:

Cliff
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Cliff if I'll make sure to post pictures of the lighting and everything pretty in detail if you'd like, it really doesn't seem that hard but I wanna build it so it looks sharp haha

Outstanding !

I would love to see a good DIY lighting post

Thx

labnjab
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Did you plump in a bypass? That should solve your problem with the overflow keeping up.

Cliff
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
+1 on what Labnjab posted

Another way to help with your flow is to add a reactor. If you were planning to add one anyways, have it supplied by your return pump to take some of the extra flow capasity you have.

hockeyhead019
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Ok here's a snap shot of my return line

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101125_115618.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101125_115618.jpg)

When that valve is all the way closed it means that all the flow is going back to the display, when it's all the way open it means that the smallest amount is going to the display

My problem is that the drain line can't keep up (from what I've seen so far) with the valve completely open.

However I've been thinking and my drain line opening is rather high (to the point where the water must be almost to the brim of the tank for it to keep pace with the pump)

So I'm thinking that if I cut a little off the top of my drain line so it rests slightly deeper in the tank then it'll have a higher head of water on top so it may keep up with a higher return rate of the pump

I'll end up trying it tonight and I'll let you guys know... I can also take a picture of my return line... a little different than one of the first pictures I took earlier in the thread.

hockeyhead019
12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok figured out my problem with the draining system keeping up...

I took about a half inch off of the opening for the drainline which makes it sit deeper in the tank... the increased amount of water above the drain has helped it siphon faster which makes sense

The best part is I can have my pump almost at it full return to the main tank and it's fine so that's good news. It's now running in the basement for all of today (empty nothing in it) just to make sure there aren't any problems with leaking or anything

Here's some pictures

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101130_190501.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101130_190501.jpg)
Full Tank as of right now... empty... tooooo empty lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101130_190507.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101130_190507.jpg)
A picture of the sump area below the main tank

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101130_190515.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101130_190515.jpg)
Ouside pic of the drainline

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101130_190522.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101130_190522.jpg)
Pic of the drainline inside the tank

Cliff
12-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Now this is the exciting part. Putting it all together and testing / trying different things.

Youe set-up is really coming together nicely

How's your drain for noise ?

hockeyhead019
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Really quiet... I added another straight piece so it drains into the water and it's super quiet now haha without it though it was kind of loud but not to the point where it'd bug me or anything. The drain opening in the main tank is quiet as a whisper haha you can't hear the gargle or anything so thats great

Steps/To do list:

1. Varnish Stand, add two more pieces so I can build some big door panels to cover the sump area. I also wanna board up the sides with plywood to keep it quiet and looking nice
2. Skimmer - get it in the tank and running... starting the break-in process
3. Figure out how to have my drain pass through media to grow some BB on and help with cycling and some filter floss right before the pump to help keep the water crystal clear... hopefully lol
4. Lighting - gotta build my lighting rig which will consist of for now 4 T5HO bulbs powered by an Ice Cap 660

The skimmer and Ice Cap 660 should arrive tomorrow (according to UPS who I don't trust any farther than I can throw lol) and the bulbs and reflectors are coming from AquaCave who took a week to process my order :/ but hopefully it gets here by the second week of December or so

Really stoked to get some sand and a couple pieces of rock in there to start my cycle up but it will be anything but rushed. I'm completely ok with the realization that I probably won't have anything stocked in the tank until early Jan. but hey I think the building/planning process is a lotta fun lol

hockeyhead019
12-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Da lights have arrived! :)

so pumped lol the skimmer, ballast, 4 endcaps (4 more are on the way) and the bulbs are all here in mi casa :)

Tried out the bulbs and they're bright... like DAAYYYMMMM they're bright haha I have individual reflectors for each of them and I have an idea of how I'm gonna build the mounting setup so that they can sit on top of the tank

Stay tuned for some DIY lighting.... for anybody who's interested (*cough cough* Cliff) it really doesn't look to difficult... however you have to do it right or you'll just end up in a worse off spot than you would have been...

But if you're like me and wanna save a buck and have some fun doing it yourself I would definitely say this is the way to go lol

Cliff
12-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Stay tuned for some DIY lighting.... for anybody who's interested (*cough cough* Cliff) it really doesn't look to difficult... however you have to do it right or you'll just end up in a worse off spot than you would have been...

But if you're like me and wanna save a buck and have some fun doing it yourself I would definitely say this is the way to go lol

Your killn me here :hmm3grin2orange:

But serioulys, I'd really like to see that. I've been thinking about building a canopy with a DIY lighting in it.

Soooooo...... pics this weekend ?

hockeyhead019
12-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Ehhh most likely not but we'll see haha busy weekend coming up going to NYC with the gf all day Sat so I'll see what I get done on Sunday don't know exactly how I wanna build the canopy but I have a good idea should be interesting haha I'll keep ya updated with pictures nd everything don't worry lol

hockeyhead019
12-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Some teaser pics of the T5 lights:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101202_204142.jpg

Let there be light!!!

That's only two of em, the blue plus and the purple you can see the end caps there, they're water tight icecap suckers... should work pretty well... absolutely brain dead to wire lol

I though the lights looked pretty cool... almost like light sabers lmao

hockeyhead019
12-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Movin on up... stairs lol

Got the tank and stand and all equipment (minus lights) moved up to my room now and they have been positioned where they'll reside... for now at least lol

Here's a couple pics of the tank set up (yea powerhead cords look ugly I kno :/)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101212_222016.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101212_222016.jpg)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101212_222020.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101212_222020.jpg)
Ahhh yes the monstrosity of electrical cords haha gotta love it

I'm gonna let it run tonight with headers and all on (everything except skimmer) and let it just do it's thing haha hope to have a salt mix tomorrow so I can get the skimmer going and then let that age for around a week.

As for my DIY lighting I'm still working on it lol here's my problem I got 4 endcaps with the ballast (endcaps are what the T5's plug into for those who don't know) and then I ordered four from bulkreefsupply.com (great site IMO) however take a look:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/th_IMG_20101207_194418.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/?action=view&current=IMG_20101207_194418.jpg)
Left side : came with ballast (it has a mounting bracket which is the rectangular bottom part)
Right side : bulk reef supply (and anywhere else I looked for that matter)

My problem: I CAN'T MOUNT THE OTHER FOUR F'N ENDCAPS!!! lol it kinda frustrated me cuz I was like why the f would you sell and endcap without a stand/mount? Idk regardless I have some on the way but they probably won't be here for a couple of days (hopefully by the end of the week or by saturday) but until then no work will be done on the lighting... however I can tell you not to expect a master piece lol it will most likely be a wood stand with the endcaps drilled to it with legs sitting over the tank with a stand alone clip on fan cooling the fixture (looking to get little pc fans to cool more efficiently but not real worried about it right now since the lights may be a week or two off at least)

So I'm happy... the tank is now in my room up and running. All equipment has been purchased (well the biggies at least I'll get an RO/DI unit down the road but right now the budget has run a little thin after buying the powerheads and the heaters.

I decided to go with two Koralia Evo 750gph powerheads for the tank and then two 150w stealth heaters (lifetime warranty! Wooohooooo)

Sorry for the long post guys haha

labnjab
12-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Looking good. The only thing I would suggest is mount the powerstrip to the wall and not under the stand. If you tank every overflowed due to a plugged drain that strip could get soaked and spell disaster.

hockeyhead019
12-13-2010, 01:33 PM
ahh good thinking will do probably when I get home today lol

Cliff
12-13-2010, 11:48 PM
I bet its really starting to exciting now that most of the equipment is coming together now.

Have you looked into wave makers yet ?

I read a great article that explained the benfits of good circulation and good water movement. Its certainly not required for a healthly and happy tank, but it really dose add a cool effect to your corals to see them swaying back and forth with the current.

Your set-up is really coming together nicly.

How's the sump working without the baffles so far?

hockeyhead019
12-14-2010, 12:56 AM
It's workin well and yea definitely wanna get a wave maker and put it on that left side where I have the power head so I can get a nice wave maker current going across the front of the tank... however until I have the cash for it I'll just hold on to what I got

And yea definitely getting excited Cliff... looking into dry rock to buy for the base and then I'll grab a couple live pieces from somewhere... don't know where yet though as it seems rather pricey so I'll most likely be looking and looking at lfs and get a couple small rocks so I can start my cycle. Hopefully that'll be next week some time

Cliff
12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Do you have a local reef club or some other similur organization in Philadelphia?

I know I've seen people advertizing all kinds of reef related livestock and equipment for sale (including live rock) on a local reef message board here in good'ol Saskatoon.

I know Rue has bought fresh water fish through the local aquarium club here in the city.

Might be worth looking into. I've found a few great deals. You could get lucky and find some live rock really cheep

hockeyhead019
12-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Not that I can find... I'm scouring craigslist looking for people who are breaking down their tanks lol

hockeyhead019
12-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Let there be LIGHT!!

Haha so for those of you who have been following this you know I opted to go for DIY lighting... well it worked out... doesn't look like a factory finish but it'll get the job done haha

Ok so for anybody who's interested I'll give a little walkthrough of what I did

First I tested the length of my wood pieces by just sitting the assembled lights (not wired) on top so I had the distance correct and could cut the wood pieces.

After the wood pieces were cut I screwed the stands to the wooden small cross pieces:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_195350.jpg

All eight stands were screwed to the wood. The the long pieces were attached... this was frustrating I thought haha since I ended up cracking the wood with the screws I was using:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_195402.jpg
So that sucked... so I went with small nails, which means I won't be able to take it apart however there are worse things that coulda happened haha

After that was all put together it was wiring time... the easiest part IMO haha

First had to trim the wires to the right length (thankfully the ballast has some pretty brain dead instructions on it)
So after I trimmed the wires I fed them through the stands (without the endcaps attached since they snap in)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_200315.jpg
After you feed the wires through the stand it gets pretty simple you just slide the wires into the slot and they have a spring loaded system that keeps the wire in place

As a side note my original plan was to have this sit on top of the stand... however after looking at my materials and what it'd entail I decided that it'd just be easier to hang it from the ceiling.

hockeyhead019
12-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Here's a couple pics:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_204331.jpg
The wires attached to the frame to keep things kinda clean looking

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_204909.jpg
Lights off

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_205006.jpg
Lights on

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101215_210648.jpg
With reflectors

Ok so Hind sight is 20-20... well I don't regret doing this at all lol people said it was risky but if you have a good plan and don't get too frustrated and like doing things yourself like I do then I'd say hell go for it.

However if you aren't confident in wiring or wood work then I'd avoid this...

To Do:

Attach fixture to ceiling: should be done by the weekend (hopefully)
Attach a fan: don't know how exactly I'm gonna do it but even after testing the lights for 2mins they were rather warm and you can feel the heat coming off of the lights

In other news I'll be purchasing a ATO (auto top off system) and hopefully have a pretty big volume of water in a rubber maid in the closet next to the tank

hockeyhead019
12-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Sorry for the triple post but I changed my plans to a ceiling mount back to gluing legs to the lights and standing them on the tank (just safer if anything were to happen I want the least chance of my lights hitting the water

hockeyhead019
12-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Well progress has come to a grinding halt due to funding and having to pay for school and books again :( I have 30lbs of base rock my buddy is gonna hook me up with and I have everything I need except the rock and sand I'll need another 30lbs of rock or so but unfortunately I need to stockpile some money to pay for books for this semester... very frustrated right now lol so close... and yet so far o well I guess it happens

Regardless I'm still trying to mount the lights... trying to figure out what the best and safest way will be lol

Still to do:

1. A little LR to start the cycling process
2. Refugium (getto version of course lol with a seperation box hangin inside the tank which will house chaeto probably)
3. Sand
4. Fish... hopefully in the springtime but I guess we'll have to wait and see

Cliff
12-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I feel your pain Hockeyhead.

I hate waiting while I'm working on a new set-up. Think of it as time to reseach and get a good SW book to help with the wait. Thats why I read 6 books during my set-up. Just starting my 7th this week.

It's almost as addictive as setting up the tank !

hockeyhead019
12-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Haha I'm lookin for one... prolly gonna scoop something up off Amazon when I order my textbooks... gotta have a lil fun at least haha plus it's really cool looking at the different set ups in the books and the different opinions about things

hockeyhead019
12-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Picking up my single baffle and silicone today (while doing other christmas shopping haha)

I'm thinking of sticking eggcrate to the top and ziptying filter floss to it that way when it flows over the glass it goes through the filter floss and into the pump compartment... idk anybody have any thoughts on this? Will it restrict flow too much?

I'll have pictures later tonight of the masterpiece lol (aka ghetto rigging hahahha)

Cliff
12-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Sounds like it's worth a try.

I would not zip tie the filter floss to the egg creat tho. You'll need to replace the floss about every 5 days or you would likely start adding nitrates to you system.

Maybe, just have a egg crate stand just on the inside of the baffle (on the side the water flow to) about a 1/2 to 1 inch lower than the top of the baffle so you could lay your floss on top and the water would just naturally flow on to it a eliminate the bubbles ?

hockeyhead019
12-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm... also an idea... wouldn't I still have the same issue though? Of trates building up? It's not like the bubbles are causing any serious problems it'd just be nice to try and keep them out of the return pump... yes I know use baffles lol

Well for anybody who's read this and considered not using baffles... just use em lol

labnjab
12-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't even bother with the filter floss. Just use the prefilter sponge that came with your magdrive return pump. Clean it in hot tap water every 5-7 days and you should be good to go. Thats what we do and never have nitrate issues

hockeyhead019
12-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Ok gotcha... thanks for the info lab

hockeyhead019
12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Ok so got my glass last night and got it all siliconed in and everything... well the piece was too wide :/ went by the measurement off the web which was the outer dimensions so I had to put it in crooked so it doesn't look real good

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101223_002239.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101223_002232.jpg

It slid a little so I took the water back out to let it cure for the rest of the night. Idk not the best job I've ever done... I'm thinking about just getting the glass trimmed at the shop but wanna see if this will work since I lost patience hahaha

Here's a pic of the mounted lights on btw:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101222_191801.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20101222_191806.jpg

I really like the color they give the tank... and my whole room hahaha

Cliff
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I like how you have mounted your lights. I should help to keep the bulbs cooler and should help them last longer

hockeyhead019
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I plan to add a fan so that it just runs the length of the lighting and hits the ballast as well to lower the temp even more... or at least that's the game plan.

My baffle did end up staying put after I let the silicone cure for the night so that's cool I have the system just circulating water now.... hopefully gonna get some base rock on monday from my buddy and purchase the rest of it soon after and get my cycle going

hockeyhead019
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Ok well I'm ordering all my rock from LiveRockUSA.com... very friendly over the phone and I've heard great things about the quality of their rock so I'm pretty pumped. I'm just waiting for the invoice now and they say it arrives in two days so that'll be great haha pretty stoked.

I got 30lbs of dry base rock and 35lbs of their "typical" live rock... I'll update with pictures when it arrives.

Cliff
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm getting excited to see this set-up cycling

Can't wait to see more pics

hockeyhead019
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Haha Cliff I'm really pumped haha apparently their typical LR comes with ton of life on it so it'll be cool to see what kind of hitch hikers come with it haha

Definitely gonna be fun to finally have something in the tank lol

hockeyhead019
01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Wooooooooooo Rock time!:)

Got my rock today from Live Rock USA they shipped Tuesday and it arrived today at like noon. Awesome company definitely would/will go back to them.

I got 30lbs of dry base rock and then 35lbs of live rock... which has all kinds of crazy lookin stuff all over it haha if memory serves me right it has a good abundance of macro algae (cacti looking things correct?) as well as these little green bubble looking things which I think are also macro algae forms? Idk there's also a ton of worms (don't know if any made it) and a sponge or two both of which I assume have bit the dust (both the yellow ish orange kind)

I can't wait for the dust to settle so I can re-arrange the rock some but until then here's a picture of the madness:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110107_125251.jpg

I'll post a picture later tonight to show you guys what everything looks like hopefully clearer than this lol

Cliff
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
:woo:

WOO HOOO

I'm excited for you. Finally, months of work and reseach are starting to come together now.

It will just keep getting better and better from here on in

hockeyhead019
01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
That's what I'm hoping haha... the water is getting a little clearer now and I actually think I saw a little thing moving... could something mobile have survived the shipping? Idk I'll have to take a peek and see if I can't spot it later lol... hopefully it'll survive the cycle if it is actually anything haha

Also what "bad" guys should I be on the look out for? Reefkillers if you will?

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 12:33 AM
well sorry for the double post... I've seen a couple survivors though!

First is a bristle worm... tiny little guy... changed the position of my power heads and he was blows away though lol don't know where he went. Second is some sort of small pod looks like a sand flea but super tiny

And of course I have some aiptasia nems but not a lot and I don't think I have any glass ones which from what I read are the worst ones... well I haven't seen any yet we'll put it that way haha. I'll check again later tonight once the water has cleared up more.

Side note 65lbs of rock sure isn't as much as I had pictured it to be in my head lol I have another 30lbs that my buddy from school has but it's most likely all dead which is fine lol I'll just have some extra base rock to seed :)

Super pumped that its all here finally haha kinda weird looking at the tank with something in it now after being empty for near 5 months haha

Cliff
01-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Sounds exciting. I have yet to see any hitch-hikers in my rock

travie
01-08-2011, 03:14 AM
It would probably be wise to start killing the aiptasia off now before you get around to adding a CUC, fish, or coral. Also you do not want to pop the green bubble algae while it is in the tank. If it gets popped, it will spread faster.

Artificial
01-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Pick up 2 or 3 emerald crabs to combat the bubble algae.

Cliff
01-08-2011, 05:05 AM
I forgot, did you add cured or un-cured rock to cycle the tank ?

Post your parameters after anout 24 hours. I'm interested to see how your tank cycles.

Are you cycling with the lights off ?

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
My rock is uncured so it should have quite the die off... and thanks for the advice about the hitchikers everybody.

Cliff I'll probably cycle with the lights off untill I wanna look at the tank, then I'll turn em on for a little lol

I also have a clam? It's sitting in the sand and it opens and closes every now and then so I have to think its a clam lol I'll get some pictures up in a couple mins I wanna reposition the rock a little

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok again sorry for the double post lol

Here's some pictures... nothing astonishing since I'm using my phone and the water is slightly cloudy from moving the rocks lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110108_095847.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110108_095900.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110108_095905.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110108_095909.jpg

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
a couple more lol:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110108_095855.jpg

That's the little clam guy I was talking about. I'm almost positive that's what he is since I've never seen anything else remotely close to that lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110106_104330.jpg
That's my right side eggcrate :)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/IMG_20110106_104336.jpg
And that's my fight off microbubbles system... quite intense lol

Only 2 filter floss pads ontop of the sponge... took hours of dedicated research to come up with the solution hahahaha

Cliff
01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Looking good

I wonder what type of claim it is ?

Do you know anyone who could "baby sit" you claim while cycling ? He might be a good hitcher you would want to keep

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
No:( nobody I know around here keeps a SW tank. I'm gonna try and do really frequent water changes (thinking 20%ish every other day) to try and keep the toxics down to save as much as I can

Also just to help anybody ID the clam has just dug into the sand and only the mouth (or what I assume to be the mouth) is above the sandline opening and snapping shut

hockeyhead019
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
So after 24 hrs of the rock being in the tank here are the testing results:

pH: 8.0 (a little on the low side but I wanna wait and see if it doesn't come around)

Ammonia : 1.0ppm
Trites : between 1.0ppm and 2.0ppm
Trates : 5ppm

I did this twice, and got the same results both times. My testing kit is brand new. Do these look normal? Idk what they're really supposed to look like lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-08_12-34-23_405.jpg
That's a pic with the lights off and the water much clearer lol

travie
01-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Readings look fine for a cycling tank. I'll be looking forward to how the tank progresses.

Cliff
01-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Off to a great start.

I would not be too concerned about the 8.0 PH until your cycle is done, There's a lot going on in the tank right now.

Good plan to keep the ammoina at or below 1. I kept mine at around 2 which is why (I think) I don't have any hitchikers.

Keep the up-dates come'n

hockeyhead019
01-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok so after three days with the rock in the tank here's the testing results...

Ammonia: .5 to 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 2 to 5 ppm
Nitrate: 40 to 80 ppm?? (Don't know about this one so much)
Phosphate: 0 to .25ppm (this was just outta curiosity I know it doesn't matter till later in the game)

I was looking at That Pet Place and was wondering if anybody could offer a little insight about winter shipping. Good idea for a CUC to get shipped during the cold? Doesn't matter? What do you guys think.

I'm just trying to plan ahead lol

labnjab
01-10-2011, 11:02 PM
The only problem with shipping in winter is if for some reason the package gets hung up somewhere for a day or 2 bad things can happen. A heat pack will only stay warm for so long. If you do order online make sure its a week with no storm in site. Defiantly don't order this week with that huge storm headed our way

Cliff
01-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Wish I could help with the CUC shipping question, but I have no experiance there.

Looks like your cycle is moving along nicely

Your nitrate reading dose seam a littler higher than expected, at least to me. Mine didn't go much over 30ppm but I only used ~30% live rock to cycle the tank. I would be careful of how much light you put on the tank to help aviod or reduce a bad algae break-out. My might also want to do a large (as large as you can) water change when the cycle is done.

Did you use all live rock to cycle the tank or ws there some dry rock used ?

The reason why I ask is that you can have nitrates and phosphates leach out of dry rock if you don't pre-soak it before the cycle.

Also, if your skimmer is still breaking in right now, it won't be doing much to help your water parameters until ist broken in.

hockeyhead019
01-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Yea cliff they seemed high to mee too but I didn't have a chance to double test em since I had to go to work:/

I'll test again tomorrow before I do my waterchange

As for the live rock question I am using about 30lbs of dry base rock so that could be where the excessive nitrates are coming from. Right now the light is being kept to a minimum the best I can.

And how will I know when the skimmer is done breaking in? Is there any tell tale sign of when it's good to go?

@labnjab. Definitely not gonna order anything for the next couple week cuz of this storm coming as well as one coming next week early in the week apparently. Plus my cycle isn't done yet and I definitely don't wanna kill anything that I put in there.

I appreciate all the input/help guys!

Cliff
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=hockeyhead019]And how will I know when the skimmer is done breaking in? Is there any tell tale sign of when it's good to go?QUOTE]

When mine was finally broken in, it starting to work consitantly (consistant flow of foam up into the neck) and started putting the same amount of crud in the cup each day. That took between 1 and 2 weeks for my skimmer. From what I have read, that's pretty common

hockeyhead019
01-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Yup skimmer breakin period has been put at about a week and a half... so mine isn't done yet lol

Ok here's today's test results (5 days of LR in tank)

Ammonia : .5ppm
Trites : 2-5 ppm (closer to 5 as it was a very pure purple)
Trates : 40-80 ppm (tough to tell where in that range it would actually be)

I'm starting to get a little worried (or maybe just over reacting) but shouldn't there be some reduction in the trites. Also what happens if your ammonia goes to 0 but you're still showing trites and trates? Do you have to add some more ammonia or should I just shut my trap and stop my worrying? lol

Idk if water changes are recommended or not during cycling anybody any opinions/info? There really isn't anything in the tank to kill so I'm not really worried about levels getting too high but I don't wanna kill the bacteria that's growing right now by accident by letting levels get too high lol

labnjab
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Just stop worrying, lol. Your still early in the cycle, it could take a week or two. don't add any ammonia the live rock will feed itself. The ammonia will go to 0, the the nitrites, and soon after the nitrates will start to drop to near 0 or 0

hockeyhead019
01-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Ok so just wait it out... all of it? I can do that haha I just wanna make sure i"m not messing anythin up outta the gate haha thanks for the help labnjab

Cliff
01-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Sounds like everything is going well, glad to hear it

hockeyhead019
01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Ok so just a list of things I've seen in the tank so far:

3 clams (on is in the sand and the other two are on the rocks (and there may be a fourth but idk where she went lol)

Little clear pods... at least I assume that's what they are, they're tiny and look like aquatic pill bugs kind of haha they zip around and then hide the instant the light comes on

Aipstasia... lots of em :/ the count it up to 6 decently sized ones and a couple more smaller guys. I plan on getting a peppermint shrimp to deal with them

Small colorful... things lol... they come out of these tubes in the rock and they're very colorful and they look like coral heads but they're too feathery to be that haha, I really don't know what they actually are to tell ya the truth anybody have any ideas? They're really cool, colorful but they suck back into their hiding spot when you shine the flashlight on them and then they'll slowly re-emerge

Cliff
01-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Sounds good. Pretty cool to hear the claims are still doing well during the cycle.

You might want to start looking into how to deal with the aipstasia. From what I've have read, it can become a very big problem. I reallt don't know for sure, never had them myself

Any new pics ???

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Got Aiptasia? Here's the way to deal with them :D http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/marine-algae-plants/63106-killing-aiptasia-electricity.html

hockeyhead019
01-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Interesting vid GB lol... I think I'll look for something a little more natural though haha if it comes to it I'll take some more drastic steps but it's nothing serious right now haha

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-16-2011, 02:17 PM
That guy has a patent on those and builds them and sells them all the time. He builds and sells almost 100 of them a year out of his house. They work great and the Aiptasia never come back.

hockeyhead019
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow that's impressive haha good to know but I'll kill two birds with one stone if I get to add a little livestock and get rid of them :)

Cliff
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Any new pics ???

hockeyhead019
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Ask and you shall receive lol:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-16_17-46-54_444.jpg
FTS (lovin the color of my lights haha a little blue but I think it looks pretty cool haha)

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-16_17-47-11_607.jpg
Clam... one of the now 6. Two on the rocks and the rest in the sand or just below the rocks halfway below the sand line lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-16_17-49-47_982.jpg
IDK what this is haha I think it maybe some type of sponge? Tough to tell from the picture sorry about the quality they're from my phone haha. But I have a couple purple ones and a big orange one. Not really sure what they are if anybody has any ideas feel free to shout them out haha

My test results for today (a week and a day with the rock in the tank)

pH : 7.8 (I'll discuss in a second)
Ammonia : 0ppm
Trites : 2.0ppm
Trates : 40ppm

The reason my trates went down a decent amount is due to my evaporation and a small water change (only about 10% that I did yesterday)

So I think things are moving along nicely. Now for my pH issue lol. I was toying with the idea of getting some crushed coral substrate and adding it to my sump to try and stabilize the pH a little higher. I was reading that crushed coral will help keep your pH steady and slightly on the higher side.

Any comments/ideas are more than welcome! :)

EDIT: Wow just looked at my post and those pics aren't too shabby for a phone lol

Cliff
01-16-2011, 11:35 PM
You got some pretty good pic from s cell phone

Not too sure if that is sponge or not, never had any pop up yet in the tank

labnjab
01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
You ph will even out after a few months. I wouldn't try to change it until then.

I gotta get one of those zappers:) I've got hundreds of aptasia

hockeyhead019
01-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Clams clams everywhere clams haha saw two new ones... one busted out from under some slime and shells on the rock? idk I've never seen him before and then I look today and bam there he is and there are the shells and junk on the sandbed lol... pretty awesome if you ask me haha

So I have a question, it seems like I have a lot of dying materieal (kinda pale stuff just waving in the current) are there any crabs which take care of detritus/dead stuff? I'd like to have a crab be the first inhabitant (or a couple maybe three tops) lol

I'm near the end of the cycle I believe (I'll test water again tomorrow) but I can also see some coraline algae!!:) woo I hadn't seen any originally but maybe it just needed to color back up from the trip. I have a patch of purple and pink and then another patch of just purple. So that looks pretty cool

I think I've killed the vast majority of my algae (bubble mainly but some macro too) by cycling with the lights off. Don't quote me on that cuz they could come back with insane numbers from what I hear, which is ok with me haha I wanna get an emerald crab anyways and they apparently eat the bubble algae so that's fine by me...

Anyways back to my main question what should I add to eat up the dead stuff? Anybody any ideas?

Cliff
01-20-2011, 03:04 AM
I think nassarius snail eat up stuff off the sand bed. But I'm not 100% sure of that, you would have to double check that before thinking of adding them

Pretty cool to hear about your claims.

hockeyhead019
01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Well according to the water tests the cycle is compeleted!!!!:) A day before two weeks

There are some nitrates left (about 5.0ppm) but other than that there is no ammonia and no nitrites :)

Sooooo... now what? lol all this time researching I spent mainly focusing on getting the tank set up and cycled correctly lol.

Ok so maybe that was a lie, I do have some things I was looking to put in the tank. First would be an emerald crab. Don't know why but I've been fascinated with these little dudes haha definitely think it'd be cool to pick up one of them a peppermint shrimp and a couple snails. And that's all I'll start with haha.

I gotta get a fan to cool my lights, hopefully tomorrow from home depot haha just looking to get a little clip on fan, small enough to not be obnoxious but definitely a little overkill for moving some air over the reflectors and the ballast. Once I get that I'll start having the lights on for their normal operation period. Anybody have any advice for how much time to have them on for? I was thinking somewhere around 10hrs a day? Idk honestly so if anybody can input what they've had success with that'd be great haha

I'm really pumped haha can't wait to do some little stocking!

My plans are to make a fuge in the sump. My open compartment would be cool with some sand and a cheato I think and maybe a little piece of rock. (all this is money dependent aka won't be happening for a little haha) I have to do some more reading on fuges but I think it'd be benefitial since they're a safe haven for pods which the fish eat but if they reproduce and then get pumped to the tank every now and then that's fine by me lol

I'm yet again rambling sorry lol... no new pics as the tank looks the exact same from the last FTS haha I'll let you guys know when I grab some livestock. We have a storm coming so I probably won't start any stocking for a little while, maybe a week or so but hopefully I'll have some stuff in the tank next weekend... hopefully haha

Cliff
01-21-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm having pretty good luck with my lighting timings. I have my main lights on my HO T5 light fixture on for only 9 hours and everything has been looking good so far. Here's what I'm doing:

- 1 hour of moon lights
- 1 hour two super blue light bulbs
- 9 hours 6 bulbs (2 super blue, 3 white, 1 pink)
- 1 hour two super blue
- 1 hour moon lights

If you can power you 4 lights in pairs, you might want to think about starting with 2 bulbs, going to the full 4, then finishing with two.

From what I've read it can be better to simulate natural lighting cycles for some corals. I don't know how true that is, buy my lighting cycle will allow me to have lighting on the tank for loinger without adding too much risk for aglae growth

9 hours will be fine tho

hockeyhead019
01-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Ok cool thanks. I can't control them in pairs at the time being since I have them all wired to one ballast but I don't think I'll be getting any super picky corals any time soon so it should be ok to just have them full blast or nothing lol... i hope haha

Cliff
01-21-2011, 04:12 AM
You should be OK

Congrats on the cycle BTW

Pretty cool your ready to start stocking,..... and posting a few pics of the new additions

hockeyhead019
01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Ok well idk why everything is so damn expensive lol I guess cuz it's all SW and not readily available. BUT anyways I'm hoping to get an emerald crab a hermit (probably blue) and a couple snails for my tank tomorrow from one of the LFS about 20 mins away. I'll post pictures before they go in the tank since we may never see them again after that lol

Rue
01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
It is funny (sorta) when you put your CUC in the tank...and then get totally excited when you have a rare siting of them...:hmm3grin2orange:

Cliff
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Last night my wife and I spent 20 minutes playing "find the snails".

We have 20 snails in total, but to most we could find by just looking at the tank was 8.

hockeyhead019
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Haha nice nice but yea I really don't expect to see them... signs of them hopefully but not necessarily them haha that's why I'll get a picture up when I have them aclimating :)

right now the plan is an emerald crab a blue hermit crab and maybe 3 snails... not sure on the snails part but definitely the crabs...

hockeyhead019
01-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Well the best laid plans have gone astray... well they've gone a clownfish hahaha

Grabbed a pair of ocellaris clowns I couldn't help it haha and I got my planned emerald crab (no pics of him tho since he bolted when I put him into the tank and I haven't seen him yet lol)

Heres a couple pics of the clowns:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-23_20-45-12_29.jpg
Smaller of the two but definitely more adventurous haha

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-23_20-45-23_613.jpg
Slightly larger of the two but a little more camera shy lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-23_20-51-43_160.jpg
The two together... looks like a much bigger size difference then it actually is haha

The got to their new (spacious compared to the store) home today at around 3pm and since then they've begun to explore around the tank more and more (when the lights are off... they tend to still get spooked when I turn my lighting on, but that's to be expected lol)

I fed them some brine shrimp about 20 mins ago, just took a bunch and put them in the tank to blow around lol (probably not the best feeding method but hey they ate) and the two clowns accepted it pretty quickly haha so that was definitely a relieving sign. I'll be keeping an eye on them for the next three days to make sure there isn't any problems with the adjustment to the new tank

Cliff
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Congrats on another milestone

Your clowns look great.

hockeyhead019
01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks Cliff. And yea I thought they looked very healthy hopefully everything stays well with them haha

I'm super excited to actually have some live stock in the tank now :)

Cliff
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Just wait until you can start to add corals :ssuprised:

It's more addictive than drugs :hmm3grin2orange:

hockeyhead019
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I know... I'm worried man lol I saw some of em yesterday when I went to grab my fish... They were havin a blowout and they had these tiny tiny little zoa frags for like 15 bucks and I almost just jumped the gun and got them but I was able to calm myself and not get any of them lol... for now hahaha

But in all seriousness I do wanna let the tank stabalize (term used loosly) for a while and just enjoy my two new additions before adding anything else... I have another book on the way (should be delivered today) so that'll keep me busy while looking for another solid beginner fish... maybe a firefish? They looked really awesome when i saw them in the tank, so did the green chromis but I wanna add slow for now and apparently you're supposed to have three of them together since they're a schooling fish... so idk we'll see haha

hockeyhead019
01-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Ugh well came home today to find one of my clowns... the smaller of the two missing today... unfoturnately he's no longer with us :(

I had noticed he was a little on the thin side when I had put him into the tank a couple days ago but thought he'd be ok after adjusting and getting used to the new home... nope... my water checks out fine:

pH : 8.2
Ammonia : 0ppm
Trites : 0ppm
Trates : just above 5ppm

Temp: 80 degreed F (a little on the high side I know)
Salinity: Between 1.025 and 1.026

Anybody have any ideas? I'd like to keep a pair of clowns but I wanna figure out what happened and if it was something I did or whether it may have been just bad luck...

Not gonna lie I'm a little discouraged after that

Cliff
01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that Hockeyhead

Did you have any resent changes to your salinity ? Sometimes wide swings in your salintiy can effect the fiah as well as your PH.

That's the only thing that I could think of

hockeyhead019
01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Hmm nope... they went in at around the same point... 1.025

Idk I'll keep a close eye on the other and maybe I just need to take a much closer look at the fish I get just to be on the safe side..

In other news I found this on my LR when I moved it around a little today:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-25_17-15-00_76.jpg

Any ID's?

labnjab
01-25-2011, 10:43 PM
That looks like xenia

As far as the clown, were they wild caught or tank raised. I've always had bad luck with wild caught clowns locally. They seem to have a very high mortality rate. I went few 3 wild caught over the course of a few months when we 1st started saltwater and then switched to tank raised and haven't had any die yet

hockeyhead019
01-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Hmm don't know completely forgot to ask (blush) I'll ask when I head back there tomorrow... gotta get a couple snails and a hermit crab or two

Thanks for the ID labnjab!

hockeyhead019
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
So I never went back to get a CUC... due to terrible weather that will most likely be put off until this weekend (probably sunday)

Out of curiosity what do your new additions act like while they're getting used to their new home? Since I've added her my clown has yet to swim down towards the rocks lol, she just swims in the open space. Nothing I'm really worried about since the majority of my tank is open but idk just found it kind of strange since there's a couple great caves I made for hiding spots.

Idk just curious, anybody feel free to chime in haha

Cliff
01-27-2011, 09:23 PM
It just might be her personality

My clowns only swim down near the rocks when only the moon lights on. They spend the rest of the day in the open areas in the top third of the tank.

It took my clown fish just a little over a week to get used to the tank and settle in

hockeyhead019
01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Gotcha yea that's what I figured lol

I'm also in the process of making two moon lights... (well 6 leds soldered together with a 9v hook up) and then I'll have them on when I don't have my T5's on

I'll have a couple pics up for anybody who's interested... very simple if you have some confidence in basic soldering skills

hockeyhead019
01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
I need to stop going to fish stores lol... I'm infected haha

But na for real I picked up a couple of rusty red hermits (4) and a tiny frag of zoas :) they've opened up and look to be doing fine, I'll be keeping an eye on them but they're hardy from everything I've read so they should be ok

They're orange close to the mouth and then a purplish on the outside:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-28_19-51-48_68.jpg

And here's a picture of the crab doin it's thing:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-28_19-51-38_256.jpg

And finally my LED configuration:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-28_19-51-08_521.jpg

Just some basic soldering and then you solder the two yellow leads to a 9V battery receiver... everything can be bought at radio shack for pretty cheap

Cliff
01-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Way to go, another milestone, the first coral

Cool looking Zoas.

I love the orange coloring in them. My SW LFS is trying to find some with orange for me.

The tank is going along nicely, good job

chrisfraser05
01-29-2011, 08:04 AM
looking really good buddy.

Love the hermits :)

Have you got plenty extra shells for them?

hockeyhead019
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Chris, and na I don't have extra shells for them yet :/ gotta ask for a handful of empty ones next time I swing by a LFS

chrisfraser05
01-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I'd like a hermit too so I'm gonna start looking for shells soon :)

I've heard they've been known to pull snails out of their shells when nothing was available.

So out of 10 how much has your progress gone to plan if you know what I mean?

I'm just starting off and wondered what to expect thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Hmmm... set up : 9
Stocking... well that's up for debate but I'd give it an 8

I wanted two clowns, one didn't make it :/ and I knew I wanted to put some Zoas in there since I've read they help take care of some trates.

In regards to the CUC I wanted to put the snails in first but they didn't have any at the LFS I go to but they had the hermits for nice and cheap so I got a couple of them to keep any algae down before it becomes a problem...

Other than that I'd say I've been pretty on pace with what I expected haha I've had to stop myself from getting more fish when I went to the store yesterday but it wasn't too hard since my wallet is feelin sorta light haha, I'm looking into my different options though right now haha

It's addictive, you'll wanna grab one of every colorful thing you see haha but you have to know what it'll do to your system and more importantly if it'll live in you system so it's definitely a slow down factor since stuff for SW is expensive haha

chrisfraser05
01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
With you all the way there bud....

I've been itching to get fish for mine already lol

Glad to see things are going how you expected anyway :)

Again, lovely tank buddy thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Yea man it's tough but if you can wait out the excitement to do it right I'm sure you'll end up with a great looking tank! The rest of the members here are very supportive and helpful and that's been a huge help for me at least haha

hockeyhead019
01-30-2011, 11:36 PM
More additions! And a rock movement lol

FTS:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-30_17-21-00_889.jpg

Snails:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-30_17-20-29_989.jpg

Yes those are little feather dusters on his shell... he's huge, probably close to two inches diameter

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-01-30_17-20-42_585.jpg

More zoas :)

So I went to this place around an hour away from my house, it's run out of this guy's basement, very friendly and a very knowledgable reef keeper, he had all kinds of awesome stuff and thank god I only brought 40 bucks in with me or I think I might have gone a little crazy haha bottom line is he was selling stuff barely above what he got it for (aka dirt cheap) so it was a great steal, the zoo only cost 5 bucks (insane) and then is was a buck for every turbo snail

So that's made me quite the happy camper haha

I'm starting to see some of the brown algae coming up now :/ hopefully the turbos make short work of that though.

I also added some macro algae to my sump and I'll ahve that on reverse lighting to help the pH stay stable at night as well as help remove the nitrates (what's there anyways)

I'm really happy with the way the tank is coming together. I definitely wanna get more fish but I haven't decided what exactly I wanna get haha, I definitely want to get a bangaii cardinal or two and the guy who I went to today said he has them usually but he's out right now so he put me on an emial list to let me know when he gets them in so that'll be cool

Cliff
01-31-2011, 02:13 AM
I like the look of the rock.

Glad to see you found some snails. I like the look of turbos

Your hard work and research is paying off and Your tank is coming along nicely.

Can't wait for the next set of up-dates

hockeyhead019
01-31-2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks man, I'll definitely keep you updated... the place I went today was selling frogspawn heads for 10 bucks a piece haha I had to make myself leave before I got one since I don't wanna add too much too fast but they were a brilliant green like the one you just got Cliff so I'll probably be picking that up and he had an eagle eye frag for 20 bucks and it already has like 4 heads which is fantastic!

Needless to say I'm excited to keep adding things to the tank so I'll definitely have some more updates for ya haha I wanna get a big piece of nice LR for the middle of the tank, something that branches upwards I think would be really cool but we'll c haha gotta save up some money since bills come in this week (joy) so my additions may be stopped for a couple weeks or so haha

chrisfraser05
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow, sounds like you are onto a winner. You'll prob spend a fortune going back and forth to this guys house lol

Wish I knew of someone who has that setup.

Liking the progress bud :22:

kaybee
01-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice zoa's and very unique snail with the attached feather dusters!

hockeyhead019
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Yea the snail was really cool haha... the turbos have just owned the brown algae that barely started haha (had a little on the glass and a little on a couple rocks) and it was gone within three hours of putting them into the tank... no wonder they call them turbos hahaha

And Chris it's worth it haha, thankfully I won't be going up for fun haha I'll wait till I need something and even then I might wait, and then go up and make a bulk purchase of things

hockeyhead019
02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Ewwww algae! lol

Massive amounts of brown algae now... but only on the right side of the tank:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-01_14-47-13_820.jpg

right side

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-01_14-47-18_632.jpg

left side

Can you guess what side all the snails are on? lol tested my water today and ammonia and trites are both still 0 (good sign) but the trates are still between 5-10ppm

So I guess I need to up my water change frequency a little? I've been doing once a week at around 10%

Also I have little bubble forming in my sand. A normal thing?

Cliff
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
A good waterchange should fix your nitrates if you did not do a very large water change after your cycle was done. I would wait little longer before changing your weeky maintence to allow the nitrate eating BB more time to grow and get a better feel for your tank's needs

Just my 0.02$

This my first post with my cell phone

hockeyhead019
02-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Took a look at the tank today before going out to see the gf for the day and it seems like the diatoms have stopped the explosion of growing lol... is this normal? Or does it differ for every tank? Not that I'm complaining but I'm just curious.

Also I'm hoping to have a new addition tomorrow so stay tuned for some pictures!

Cliff
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I think that might be normal

I only had diatoms for around 2 to 3 weeks, they came quickly and seamed to go quickly as well

chrisfraser05
02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I think that might be normal

I only had diatoms for around 2 to 3 weeks, they came quickly and seamed to go quickly as well

My diatoms lasted about a week!

Thats Pre fish though, don't know if there will be any resurgence but doubt it!

hockeyhead019
02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
New additions:

1 Cherry Shrimp
2 Nassarius Snails (spl?)
2 Bangaii Cardinalls (Tank Raised which is why I scooped em up thumbs2: )

Pictures to come soon!

Cliff
02-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice additions

I tried to find tank raised Bangaii cardinalls but had no luck, only wild caught around here for sale.

hockeyhead019
02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
New pics:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-12-21_272.jpg

FTS. You can see the two cardinals and the O. Clown

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-08-51_318.jpg

Zoo colony... the green one obviously haha

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-08-46_13.jpg

The other colony

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-08-40_106.jpg

Good pic of the two cardinals (love them haha so cool looking)

hockeyhead019
02-06-2011, 09:59 PM
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-08-21_224.jpg

A nassarius snail and a hermit crab

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-06_14-08-15_856.jpg

My emerald. Who has burrowed beneath that rock now and he comes out every now and them haha

Cliff
02-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Cool pics

I really like those cardinells.

Good job getting a pic of the crab. I've got two of them in my tank and my wife and I have only seen them twice sense then. It could have even been the same crab twice, not too sure. We only see them when the moon lights are on.

Any other plans for future additions ?

hockeyhead019
02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Well I still definitely wanna get the flame angel... but that won't be for a couple weeks since my next couple weekends are booked up... plus I don't wanna go overboard lol... wanna take things slow and see how things develop. Might pick up a frog spawn when I grab the flame angel but not sure if I wanna add anymore coral until I get a nem.

The guy that I visited who runs a store out of his basement had some fantastic pieces of LR so I might grab one of them and fill in the middle of the tank a little... might pick up another zoo colony but like I said not sure if I wanna add anything else before the nem, that way I can let the nem settle where it wants and go from there haha

hockeyhead019
02-09-2011, 04:09 PM
why do all the fun things come out to play at night? lol

Took a look around the tank last night and saw some cool stuff:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-08_23-40-22_968.jpg

That's an open clam thought it looked pretty cool since you can see the foot an all

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-08_23-39-31_880.jpg

My emerald hitching a ride on a big turbo haha this was pretty funny I thought

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-08_23-39-53_339.jpg

Everybody just hanging out haha

Starting to get a little worried about the bangaii cardinals since I haven't gotten them to eat much, they nipped at a couple brine shrimp when I put them into the tank but other than that they haven't done much.

I also got some more rock from a buddy so that's soaking in the sump right now and I'll most likely do a little scaping tomorrow but I wanna get some of this putty stuff so I can make a little structure type thing in the middle

Cliff
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Have your tried feeding them mysis shrimp ?

They might just be adjusting to there new home. It has taken all of my fish a little over a week to get used to the tank

Cliff
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
I also got some more rock from a buddy so that's soaking in the sump right now and I'll most likely do a little scaping tomorrow but I wanna get some of this putty stuff so I can make a little structure type thing in the middle

Iím not too sure if I had mentioned this or not, but when you use a far amount of that reef putty (about 1/3 of the tube or more), it can affect your skimmer. While the chemicals this putty will leach out are totally safe for all fish and corals, it does something to the water. Describing it in my own terms, its looks kinda like it increases the amount bubble that can be produced in the water so when the water gets to your skimmer, it will be overflowing in minutes. The last time I used a lot of the reef putty in my tank I had to shut off my skimmer for 3 days after and then adjust daily for another 3 days. There was no negative effects on my water quality by having the skimmer off for three days as Iím lightly stocked.

chrisfraser05
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
good job you mentioned that Cliff.

I'm going to be using putty and setting up my skimmer this weekend lol

Cheers as always bud.

Loving the pictures Mr Head ;)

hockeyhead019
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
hmmm gotcha... well maybe I'll look for an alternative way to get them to stay put haha

And no I haven't tried mysis shrimp yet, I'll pick some up next time I'm at the fish store thanks for all the advice Cliff!

hockeyhead019
02-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Ugh wtf both my cardinals bit the dust today while I was at class :(

They weren't looking to well last night and they still wouldn't eat, even the mysis I got they wouldn't take...

Well I've decided I need to stop going to the store that I've been getting my live stock from, they just don't carry good fish I guess, between the clown and now these two I can't keep spending money on fish that don't last. I checked my water params and everything checks out, nothing out of the ordinary. Very frustrated right now but I guess it is what it is. Back to just enjoying the clown lol

Cliff
02-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Sorry to hear about the set-back

chrisfraser05
02-12-2011, 08:20 AM
thats poo man. I feel for you!

Hope whatever you replace them with gives you more luck thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. I have a guy who I'm in contact with who takes really good care of his livestock so I'll most likely start buying from him since neither of the LFS have been really promising in that department

Anyways everything else in the tank looks good right now. I have some new rock that I'm gonna make some sort of structure out of but I haven't decided what or how I'm gonna do that lol

I'll have pics when I do anything

hockeyhead019
02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Ok so a little update on the tank:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-13_13-45-11_724.jpg

Newest FTS

I added some rocks in the middle (a couple are siliconed together) to make what I think is a pretty cool structure :)

Did the other tests on the water today (hardness, calcium and phosphates)

trAtes: between 5 and 10ppm (gotta get on a more regular schedule with water changes to keep these down)
Phosphates: 0.5 ppm (thanks macro algae)
KH (Hardness) : 8 drops = 143.2 ppm
Ca : 21 drops = 420 ppm

So everything is going pretty well chemically lol

Other than that nothing really exciting is happening haha all my crustations are doing well and so is the O. Clown. She eats really well and is starting to know who I am and will follow me around when I'm working on the tank lol

Skimmer is finally really pulling out some gunk, and man does it reek when I clean it out lol. I mean holy lord that's some funky smellin stuff haha

Cliff
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Your parameters look really good. Have you been measureing your dKH (Alkalinity) ?

You gota love the smell of a good skimmer :hmm3grin2orange:

I know when mine is full without looking in the stand

hockeyhead019
02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
na I haven't been measuring my dKH and yea I think I have really good tap lol I mean I haven't been doing anything and everything looks really good from what I can tell lol (of course I have an extremely light bio load)

and yea man I can smell mine from across the room haha mmmmmmm

hockeyhead019
02-17-2011, 03:12 AM
If I had a million dollars....

Haha well I've been looking around at ballasts and for some reason I didn't do this before or I would have made out much better than I did cost wise haha

Found the workhorse 5 ballasts look awesome for only 25 bucks a pop haha in hind sight I would have gotten three of these (each handle 2 54w T5 bulbs) and then 2" reflectors instead of the 3" ones I got.

But regardless I want to get one of the workhorse ballasts so that I can have some more control of my lights. So I can have the antics on longer than the daylight bulb... however this will require some money which I don't have right now but I'm just chewing on the idea since I don't like how my lights all come on at once haha and I don't think any of my tank inhabitants do either since they freak out haha

Now you've been inside hockeyhead's mind for a little haha anybody any thoughts/comments?

Cliff
02-17-2011, 03:20 AM
do you have a old FW fixture kicking around you could have come on 30 minutes before your 4 bulb fixture does and then go off once the 4 bulbs are on ?

Even a desk light next to the tank could help as well if you don't have another fixture

Might help the critters a little so they can slowly adjust to the light

hockeyhead019
02-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Na I don't have a FW fixture layin around :/

However I do have a desklight and I'm working on my moonlights still so the combination of those two should help... however I'm definitely going to pursue the second ballast since it'll help my coraline grow as well I read haha

Apparently they love the antic lights left on plus I think it'd be nice to have them on longer since the blue is really cool to look at while it's on

hockeyhead019
02-22-2011, 02:55 AM
So just a little update I plan on making a DIY reactor, most likely using 1/4" pvc as a run of from my pump. You'll have to look back at the pictures so you can see the T run off from my return line since I can't post the link to pictures from my phone for some reason.

Anyways after I do that it should hopefully get even more of my trates down, that plus more consistent water changes and I should be good. After that I hope to add an anemone, hopefully a rose bubble tip nem if I can find one, along with another clownfish to have a pair in the tank.

Other than that nothing new is really going on haha, all the remaining inhabitants, (1 O. Clown, an emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, and a bunch of turbos and clams) are doing well. The clown eats regularly and I see the shrimp eating, however haven't seen the shrimp eating any of my glass nems which is part of the reason I got her but no worries all in good time I read.

The two zoo colonies are doing well.

I'll post some pictures probably tomorrow when I work on my reactor and try and get a running version.

chrisfraser05
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
reactor? Calcium??

Cliff
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
If I remember correctly, you were looking at setting up a media reactor ?

If that's the case, have you decided on the media you are planning on running through it ? Sounds like your looking for something to reduce nitrates.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing the DIY reactor. I have been thinking about trying something like that for my next tank to keep costs down.

hockeyhead019
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
The reactor will be to run GFO media which reduces nitrates.

And Cliff I haven't exactly decided how I'm gonna do it yet... might be cheaper to just buy one honestly than go through the PITA of making one haha

Idk we'll see it's still in the brainstorm phase

kaybee
02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
The reactor will be to run GFO media which reduces nitrates.

Granular Ferric Oxide/GFO media binds phosphate and as far as I know doesn't effect nitrate.

Nitrate reduction media would be sulfur-based and involve a denitritor; or some sort of carbon source (sugar, vodka, 'biopellets', etc) added to the system.

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Yea I've been reading and I noticed that as well kaybee thanks for the info, I'll most likely run a GFO carbon mix just so I can have a mix.

Thanks for the heads up though kaybee

Cliff
02-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Have you thought about biobeeds ?

I've been using them since my tank cycled, 0 phosphates and just shy of 1 ppm nitrate. Sometimes it will get as high as 1 ppm of nitrate just before a water change

Might be worth looking into

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Hmm no I haven't even heard of them haha, where are they physically in your set up? In the reactor or what?

I'm looking to keep my trAtes down, I know that the best way to do that is water changes but every little bit outside of that helps in my books haha

I appreciate all the help everybody!

Cliff
02-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Yup, they go in your reactor, you can see mine in the below pic. They need about 350 GPH flow and take about 1 month to really have an effect on your tank as it's a more natural approach as compaired to using chemicals. They are a little on the pricey side, but the last a long time. I very happy with the results I've been getting with them

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/review/showproduct.php?product=425&cat=500

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad226/Cliff_Erhardt/Cliff%20fish%20tank%20pics/Sumpup-date.jpg

I wish a sump would stay as clean as this pic :hmm3grin2orange:

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Haha I hear ya on the sump comment. Interesting... I may hold off on the reactor and see if I can't just get them down naturally... Yes I know I'm all over the map haha I want the reactor now I don't haha

Kicking around a lot of ideas lately but don't have the budget for any of them haha o well... it's nice to have all the information in the back of my head for when the time does roll around.

Until then I guess I should just up the frequency of my water changes to 15% every week (I've been doing every two weeks) so that should help some hopefully...

Thanks for the help and advice guys!

chrisfraser05
02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
have you thought about using a light in the sump and putting some cheto algea in there?

I made a mesh basket and put some in my header as I've already got lighting in there. Its started growing like mad and as a consiquence I've noticed less growth on my algae scrubber. The two are competing against eachother!

My nitrates and phosphates are still reading 0!!! I've never seen a trace of either, no fish yet but I am feeding the tank every day for the shrimp and the other critters.

CassieLEO
02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Just the word Sump sounds dirty LMAO!!!

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
haha yes cassie they get nasty looking and chris I've had some macro algae growing in my sump for about a week or two with just a regular incandescent lamp over it and the stuff is really taking off

Haven't really noticed it reducing the algae in my main tank though... o well, after more and more thought I think I'm gonna stay with the natural way of reducing the nitrates since from everything I read my tank is still extremely young and hasn't even gotten close to being completely established

So I'll keep the water changes up and let the macro algae do it's thing and eat up all the extra nutrients

I'm keeping feeding to a minimum so hopefully that'll reduce any excess waste from uneaten food

chrisfraser05
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
haha yes cassie they get nasty looking and chris I've had some macro algae growing in my sump for about a week or two with just a regular incandescent lamp over it and the stuff is really taking off

Haven't really noticed it reducing the algae in my main tank though... o well, after more and more thought I think I'm gonna stay with the natural way of reducing the nitrates since from everything I read my tank is still extremely young and hasn't even gotten close to being completely established

So I'll keep the water changes up and let the macro algae do it's thing and eat up all the extra nutrients

I'm keeping feeding to a minimum so hopefully that'll reduce any excess waste from uneaten food

Cool. Did you ever look into an turf algae scrubber at all?

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Nope never heard of it haha

Looks like I'll be browsing google for a while haha

Do you have one Chris? If so what do you think?

chrisfraser05
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
I've yet to run alot of fish in the tank but have been feeding the tank, both when it was empty and with the shrimp in it.

I've never seen a trace of any ammo, nitrates or phosphates.

I do get a good growth of algae on it, shows there is something there for it to feed on so it must do something. Its just so good at it that I never catch the trace lol

There is a forum dedicated to the scrubbers, I will PM you so as not to get my bum smacked lol

There are loads of different designs on there, I designed my own based on a few others and pretty much built my tank around it.

The theory behind them is that you do not need to run a skimmer.
It allows organics to remain in the water meaning more food for corals and micro life yet when it does break down the algae grows so quickly on it that any phosphates and nitrates are absorbed straight away.

a skimmer however removes these before they break down, the nitrate and phosophate never get the chance to be released. The downside however is less food in the water for the corals and micro life and also if the skimmer doesn't remove them all before nitrate/phosphate release there is nothing it can do about the resultant levels.

Theres been research which has proven the most successfull reefs actually contain a high level of DOC's (dissolved organic carbons) so effectively by skimming you are not creating a natural envoroment.

I'm not saying that it will replace a skimmer, although alot of guys on the skimmer forums have made theirs redundant. I've bought a skimmer for mine as a backup but after having bed it in I've turned it off and will only use it once a month or so for a few days (prob the same few day's I'll use carbon) to stop an excess of buildup.

Anyway, PM on its way.

Chris

hockeyhead019
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks Chris! I spend a good half hour googling and reading threads about these... seems to make perfect sense to me at least haha

I guess I know what my next project will be :) should be a goody too, not really work intensive it doesnt seem like plus I can use my plumbing that I already have and just plumb it into my system

chrisfraser05
02-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Thats it. They can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be!

hockeyhead019
02-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Here we go so a little update:

Went to the place Reefs and Tails yesterday (this place is run out of a guy's basement so everything is very well kept and not real expensive)

Got a brilliant O. Clown, very colorful, however I think he may have a little ich on him, small white spots so I'm looking into how to treat it for the whole tank and whether it's a risk or not to any of my other inhabitants

Anyways I also got a single head of frogspawn which has two mouths (so does that mean it's actually two heads?)

And now for some pics:

Frogspawn last night:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-27_17-53-24_520.jpg

Frogspawn today:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-28_11-32-18_959.jpg

Looks a lot better :)

The new clown is the deeper redish one, very cool looking IMO
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-27_17-53-40_917.jpg

And here's a FTS just for ghits and siggles haha:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-02-27_17-54-17_526.jpg

You can click any of the pictures for a slightly larger photo haha

Cliff
02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
You might have two heads of frogspawn, or it could be getting ready to grow into two sperate heads. All of the frogspawn that I've seen had only one mouth per head, so I'm not 100% sure why yours has two

As for the potential ick, I would be very carful treating it. Most meds are not reef safe. If he is eating and acting healthy, you might just want to hold off a day or so before treating them. When I first addedd my clowns I thought they had ick, but the spots I had seen when away within 2 to 4 days (can't remember exactly). If not, your best bet would be to QT and treat.

I like how you have your rock set-up in your tank, looks good.

Is your tank still going though the diatom stage ? Just wondering if the dark(ish) discoloring on your substright is diatoms or if it could be cyno

Your tank looks like it is coming along nicely

chrisfraser05
02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
my wife just said "oooohhhhh" when she saw the frog spawn :)

Guess what I'll be getting next then lol

Looks good bud. I hope it is two you have, you could maybe split them into seperate parts of the tank at some point if they are thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Cliff thanks for the advice about the clown and my tank still does have some of the diatoms going I was just too lazy to clean that part of the substrate haha

And chris I'm hoping that's the case so I can spread things out a little however I might just leave it with two heads in one place and any more than that and I'll slpit it and put them in different places or sell them to the lfs or something like that

hockeyhead019
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Ahh yes laziness has gotten the best of me again lol, I have two filter floss pads and a prefilter in front of my pump to reduce the output of bubbles, and make the water nice and clear... so yesterday I had been wondering where all the trates that were feeding the diatoms were coming from, since I haven't been able to shake them, yes I know they're a new tank thing but still my sand bed was being over run by them which I thought was weird...

Of course I finally take the pads out and clean them out along with the prefilter since my pump was showing reduced flow and wha-la come home today and the diatoms are significantly reduced... so duhhh my prefilter stuff was acting like a canister filter almost and just becoming a trate factory lol

The diatoms significantly receded today which is nice so I'll have to be keeping a closer eye on those pads, it only took 10 mins to wash out so I'll be trying to keep up with that at least every other week, hopefully every week if I have time

In other news the clowns are happy and the corals are well, nothing really exciting to report since the tank hasn't changed much since my last FTS but whatever. Looking to add 3 more emeralds (since the guy I buy from has them on sale) and about 10 more hermits and possibly a sand sifting star (I always thought they were really cool)

For now no more fish, just the two clowns and they're doing well, eating very well and swim around together happy as a clam lol

Cliff
03-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Good to hear the tanks is still doing great. I would love to see a FTS sometime soon :ssmile:

You'll have to see how loing you can go with having to clean those filters

I know for my tank, I had to clean my filter socks every 3 or 4 days (that is, when I was using filter socks).

If I left them in longer, I would get a very very small nitrate reading on my test kit of around 1 ppm.

hockeyhead019
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Yea I'll have to keep an eye on it, thing is I don't usually see reading just little BB blooms so I guess I'll keep an eye on when they start and then I'll know to clean it a day or two before the bloom occurs

hockeyhead019
03-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm addicted haha just ordered some new corals on a website that sheamurai posted that had a $10 frag sale!! :) Hopefully they get here on Monday or Tuesday. I'll have some pictures up then, other than that news nothing is new with the tank, the clowns are happy my zoo colonies are doing well and the frogspawn is officially two heads (although you cant tell when the lights are on but you can tell when it closes at night that it's growing into two seperate heads haha so that's pretty cool!

hockeyhead019
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Well unfortunately that company which was selling the corals doesn't ship an order under $500 in the U.S.

O well worse things have happened haha

Anyways did some tank work yesterday, added a valve on my plumbing that I've been meaning to add/should have added from the beginning haha it's the vertical one which lets me shut off the line that goes from the sump back to the tank, very handy for water changes and things.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-03-26_13-24-40_382.jpg

I also cleaned up my electrical some so I don't have the power strips sitting right next to the sump (looks better and is safer)

I did a huge water change since something was up that was causing my corals to stay shut, well whatever it was problem solved (frogspawn still hasn't opened all the way up again but it is slowly opening)

Here's some pics lol

FTS:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-03-26_13-24-31_507.jpg

The green Zoas:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-03-26_13-25-06_554.jpg

The orange Zoas:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-03-26_13-25-13_551-1.jpg

Clowns are doing well, inverts look good, I see the emerald every now and then and the shrimp too (although the bum isn't eating any of my aipstasia) need to get some more hermits but with gas prices I don't know how often I'll be making the trip up to my LFS since it's about an hour each way to the nearest GOOD LFS lol at least the nearest good one IMO.

I think I'm like a coral crack head haha I don't have a lot right now but every time I go online I find I have to fight to keep myself from spending money lol I'm looking for something blue next, possibly some type of pineapple coral I think it's called?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Cheers

kaybee
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Do you know the scientific name of the "pineapple coral"? That usually means blastomussa but there are several other corals that use that same 'common name' (favites, some acans, etc).

Blue turbinara looks nice. Soft coral-wise, there's blue ricordea, blue mushrooms, blue snowflake corals, and Tubb's blue zoanthids to name a few.

...I think I'm like a coral crack head...

Welcome to the club! :jumpyellow:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Corals are incredibly addicting! I can't get enough of them. BTW, a note on the Frogspawn post from earlier, if it has 2 "mouths" then that head is definitely in the process of splitting. The first thing that splits on a LPS polyp head is the mouth. You will soon start to see those mouths separate more and more. At the same time, they are both going to be building their own skeleton.
Tank's looking good.

hockeyhead019
03-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys. ILGB it's definitely now two heads, I did some reading and realized you don't have two mouths on one head haha. When the lights go off you can clearly see them branching two different ways haha really cool

And yea man corals are ridiculously addictive haha wish they were cheaper to get online though since they have an awesome selection online haha o well I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled at a couple of the LFS's around here haha

hockeyhead019
04-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Tanks is doing good... has a little cyno on the sand bet but nothing a WC won't help lol

My dang peppermint needs to step up here, he isn't eating ANY of the nems :/ which has led to this:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-03-31_14-29-03_65.jpg

WTH! I need to start looking into other removal methods besides the shrimp lol

Cliff
04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I just tried the stuff in the below link to get rid of 3 heads of Aiptasia that started to grow in my tank

One of the aiptasia heads popped up between some candy cane heads. The treatment did not harm the candy canes

Might be worth looking into

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/review/showproduct.php?product=457&cat=500

Rue
04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Well...I was so pleased with that product when I first tried it...I thought my problem was solved. I used it correctly too.

And then found that each Aiptasia I killed appeared to produce 10 little baby Aiptasia as they died...

Now I have more than ever...

...and which is why I bought the 5 Peppermint Shrimp last Thursday.

So yes, the product works...but no one mentioned that there would be a baby boom as a result ...

hockeyhead019
04-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Yea I've been reading that the issue with killing them is that if you don't immediately kill them they release spores from their mouth which will form new smaller ones which will eventually get bigger and become an issue... again

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Here's a good solution.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/marine-algae-plants/63106-killing-aiptasia-electricity.html

This guy makes these and sells them. He makes a lot of them each year. Nobody has ever complained about them coming back.

hockeyhead019
04-12-2011, 03:11 AM
So hopefully making a trip to my fish store place on Sunday (only day the guy is open) and maybe getting a coral beauty angelfish, a couple emeralds, a peppermint (hopefully an actual one this time lol) and possibly a little frag of coral... might try some LPS or SPS haven't really decided yet, and it depends on how plentiful the greenbacks are haha

Cliff
04-12-2011, 03:16 AM
so..............

Pics this Sunday :hmm3grin2orange:

Serously tho, I would like to see a full tank shot.

If you do get SPS, try to place them as high in the tank as you can without exposing them to the air during a water change. That has worked really well for me

LPS are really cool to. I really like our brian and plates. Easy to care for and easy to feed.

hockeyhead019
04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I'll definitely get you some pics this weekend! Might end up being a nem instead of any SPS or LPS... we'll see... it'll be a game-time decision haha definitely looking forward to getting the angel though!

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 01:14 AM
PICTURE TIME!!!!

haha went to the store today and picked up a beautiful coral beauty angel (no pun intended haha) she's still a little camera shy right now but hopefully I can get some better pics

So my new additions:
1 sand sifting star (so cool!!!!)
2 peppermint shrimp (why not? on sale and cool looking guys)
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 New coral (not positive what it is actually so if somebody could ID it that'd be great haha)

No fts since it didn't look real great (nothing was open since the lights went off but I wanted to turn em back on to get a good shot of the angel... I'll try and put up a FTS tomorrow

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-17_20-57-13_193.jpg

Any ID's?? Thanks

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-17_21-00-21_889.jpg

Ehh not the best photographer in the world haha I'll try and get a better one when she calms down in the tank, maybe tomorrow but we'll see how things go lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-17_20-57-43_258.jpg

Sand sifting star...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-17_21-01-25_103.jpg

My emerald just hangin around haha

I'll try and get some better pictures tomorrow after the lights have been on for a while and everybody calms down haha

Cliff
04-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Love the new additions

I can't tell what type of SPS you got. It dose look like some type of acropora but that really doesn't help too much.

Surfdog
04-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Coral Maybe: A Tortuosa (My Iphone app) but your tank is very nice! Pretty fish and the photo ain't bad at all... Lookin forward to see it progress!!!:ssmile:

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I think it might be an acro too... no idea what kinda lol which means I may be a little in over my head in terms of care level that's needed lol but I'll give it a shot, so far things have been going pretty well in the tank (knock on wood) lol

Surfdog
04-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Acropora tortuosa...:22:

labnjab
04-18-2011, 04:41 AM
You frag looks like some type of acro to me, and looks a lot like ORA Red Planet Acro http://cultivatedreef.com/ora-red-planet-acropora-acropora-sp-p-315.html

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Hmm don't think so it's more pinkish... idk I'll have a better picture tomorrow

Surfdog
04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Ok, It was driving me goofy! Had a little time and found Cyphastrea decadia
at http://www.coralhub.info/cf/a-z/acropora/

LOL I am determined to get this right! It still kinda looks like the acro Tortuosa to me though :hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Definantly not a Cyphastrea. Cyphastrea is actually any lps and what he he is an SPS for sure

It may be an acro, but it also resembles millipora with its long polyps

Surfdog
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
I see it now...The tips of the stems threw me off...

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Ok so a FTS and an update on the new coral hopefully a couple better shots and a good picture of the angel!

Here's the angel:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-18_18-25-22_480.jpg

My green zoa colony which has exploded!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-18_18-25-08_831.jpg

Some hitchhiker coral (any ID's?)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-18_14-46-19_616.jpg

Another shot of the SPS:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-18_14-45-50_612-1.jpg

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 10:37 PM
and here's a current FTS:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-04-18_18-25-02_947.jpg

The macro algae growing on the left side is hiding the frogspawn right now though, but I'm gonna change that soon

Surfdog
04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Comming along very nicely, wish I had the know how/patience to do Corals. I really like your Angel, I looked him up and noticed yours has a yellow color on its sides as opposed to the ones I found having Red. thumbs2:

hockeyhead019
04-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Yea some have a more orange tint and others have a yellow tint, I think it changes as they mature...

And as far as corals go my two cents on that is it's not so much about actually keeping the corals as it is keeping water haha if you keep good water (no trates or anything else and have the right level of calcium in there) you do well

Cliff
04-19-2011, 12:34 AM
That's a great pic of your coral beauty.

Surfdog, as long as you don't have coral eating fish, keeping corals is easier than you may think

hockeyhead019
04-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok so another little update... I just ordered a nano soft coral pack from liveaquaria.com. It comes with four different types of soft corals for 100 bucks shipped. Should arrive on Tuesday so that should be fun to get them in the tank... I'll have pictures when they get here.

Still fighting the damn cyano algae. Moved a power head to try and get some more flow to the front of the tank where the cyano has plopped itself down, so hopefully that plus some larger waterchanges will do the trick

hockeyhead019
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
More additions. Ended up going to the LFS and found a couple cool frags for a decent price... don't know what one of them is called though lol. Also finally pulled the trigger on a BTA!!:) and also got two more emerald crabs (no pictures since they took off as soon as they hit the water lol

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-04_16-24-20_671.jpg

This one below is the one I need an ID on:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-04_16-24-26_495.jpg

Nem when i first put it in the tank (no powerheads on so it could set it's foot)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-04_14-28-55_186.jpg

Nem after a couple hours and with both power heads on (pretty settled I'd say)
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-04_18-30-43_989.jpg

kaybee
05-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice additions!

The one you're trying to ID looks like favia.

Cliff
05-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Looking good hockeyhead thumbs2:

chrisfraser05
05-05-2011, 06:08 AM
lovely nem thumbs2:

I'm not jelous at all (blush)

hockeyhead019
05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks everybody! And yea the nem is absolutely my favorite addition haha

old 5k0ol
05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Looks awesome!

I may have to do corals some day. Aquariums are addicting so I know it'll happen.

hockeyhead019
05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks oldskool!

And yea corals are really addicting haha.

So I have good news and bad news.

Bad news: my acro started bleaching :/ which I read is really hard to recover from so that sucks

Good news: one of my clowns has started hosting my new BTA! Saw her last night swimming in and out of the nem. Don't know when it started since I haven't seen her do it during the day but I'll try and get a picture tonight. She was sleeping completely in the nem last night when I last checked haha so that's some good news!

Also neutral news is that I'm going to make an algae scrubber hopefully over the next couple days haha (school permitting lol)

chrisfraser05
05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Bad news: my acro started bleaching :/ which I read is really hard to recover from so that sucks

Good news: one of my clowns has started hosting my new BTA

Also neutral news is that I'm going to make an algae scrubber hopefully over the next couple days haha (school permitting lol)

Gutted about the Acro bud, one of my favourites too. Can't wait to get some.

Good news about the Clown, ace :) :) :)

Good luck with the Scrubber, did I ever send you the link to the place with all the differewnt designs?

I'm going to be building my new scrubber either tomorrow night or thursday night depending how quickly I get everything transferred to my new tank tomorrow.

Chris

Cliff
05-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Hockeyhead, any chance I could talk you into doing a DIY thread for this ?

I'd love to see how you do yours.

hockeyhead019
05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
You can Cliff however mine will be as ghetto as possible haha will just run off of a T line from my return pipe and it'll run down window screen back into my sump lol

hockeyhead019
05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Yyyeeeaaaa Buddddyyyyy haha

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-18_00-06-54_383.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/hockeyhead019/2011-05-18_00-06-47_239.jpg

Definitely one of the coolest relationships in the ocean IMO. Hoped it would happen but even if it didn't they're still two awesome creatures... however it happened! lol... funny thing is it's only one of my clowns though, the other one tends to stay away from the nem, which I find interesting... wonder if his buddy will ever coax him into the nem lol

Other than that no major updates on the tank, still dealing with some damn cyano... definitely thinking I'm gonna make an algae scrubber, since I've read good thing after good thing after good thing about them.

hockeyhead019
05-24-2011, 02:46 AM
Just a quick video of the clownfish in the nem. My other one (tank bred) has become curious and now also hangs around the nem at night

Youtube vid of clownfish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYkSyIzfXM)

Cecile1
05-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Just looked through all of your posts- loved it, and all on a college budget- quite the achievement! Love the vid of the clownies and the nem!

clainbro2
05-24-2011, 04:04 AM
what type of nem is it?