PDA

View Full Version : Help with new tank

Pats2006
06-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I do not no much about salt water tanks and I am about to buy one but I dont know how to tell if its salt or fresh. Here is the add can some one help me out? Or let me know what to look for when I go pick the tank up to tell the difrence? Thank you Chris.

Huge Salt Water Fish Tank Aquarium - $200

Huge Used Salt Water Fish Tank/Aquarium with several boxes of "stuff" including many, many pumps, coral, chemicals, salt, heaters, lamps, and tons of other stuff. Probably several thousand dollars worth of stuff. First $200 takes it.

http://b.im.craigslist.org/4Y/IT/4qeShJFb2txfzQ5v8O8suemLTPQl.jpg
http://b.im.craigslist.org/i1/lG/FyYnRq5E2Y0F00WcV3jn7cEyqm3f.jpg
http://b.im.craigslist.org/3j/Ej/yx0w3Q3tHxpysuSjTBGuOLkYWVbc.jpg
http://a.im.craigslist.org/GE/DH/p5h2de1wqed3dofciOysElHsjd6i.jpg

Nick_Pavlovski
06-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, there will be chemicals included which will make it a saltwater tank.
If you don't add those chemicals, then it won't be.

Using the coral will heavily affect the chemistry of the water.
Don't use the coral - water chemistry will be different.

I'll let others take over now.

Pats2006
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess what I am asking is how can I tell if this is a salt water tank?

To me it looks like there are some fresh water supplies in those pictures. I just dont want to buy the tank, take it home and then few months from now come to find out that its a fresh water tank and the salt eats away at the tank.

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I put your pictures in a row so as not to toss the margins off as it did lining the pictures up across the screen.

About your tank, make sure there have been no holes drilled in the tank. If not, this is a very good deal. You can also sell the items you don't want on Ebay.

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
if its salt, the tank MAY be drilled, and the following are included for larger tanks-

bag of sea salt
hydrometer
crushed coral, dolomite, crushed shell, or live sand substrate
for most tanks, actinic and high power lighting
for most tanks, a sump, about 20g

and you said you dont want the salt to eat the tank. thats impossible. all tanks, plastic, acrylic, and glass can hold salt.

Pats2006
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Thank you guys. I will have to post pictures when I get the tank set up.

What size tank is does it look like? 55 75 gallon?

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
55 gallon is 48x12
75 gallon is 48x18
90 gallon is 48x18 but 3 inches taller

cocoa_pleco
06-21-2007, 02:20 PM
i guess 75g

Rue
06-21-2007, 10:37 PM
I guess what I am asking is how can I tell if this is a salt water tank?

To me it looks like there are some fresh water supplies in those pictures. I just dont want to buy the tank, take it home and then few months from now come to find out that its a fresh water tank and the salt eats away at the tank.

A tank is a tank. It can be used for SW or FW...

SW tanks require more equipment...and larger SW tanks are often drilled to accomodate a sump. A sump is usually made from another tank and is housed below the display tank in the cabinet. It adds to the water volume of the system. It also houses the filtration for the tank...the heater...and may contain a refugium for macroalgae or frags. Sumps can also be custom made.

A small SW tank can run without a sump...but then you have a lot more equipment cluttering up the tank. I think if you're going over 55g a sump is highly recommended.

But a large FW tank can be run with a sump as well.

So it doesn't matter too much whether the tank has been drilled or not...as long as you understand how it all works.

Rue
06-21-2007, 10:40 PM
...it doesn't look drilled in the picture. And it doesn't have the lights necessary for corals from the look of it either...so it might have been a fish-only SW tank...

...which is less demanding...

Nick_Pavlovski
06-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Cool, I learned something from this thread!
I didn't realise that some tanks will be drilled for a sump!!!

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 02:05 AM
with fish-only you have to worry about salinity and nitrates and nitrites only. with corals and anemones, you have lighting to worry about, and that tank is not set-up efficiently for salt lights. with corals, you also need a protein skimmer. even a tad sensitive anemones like condys like skimmers. without one, theyre not at full potential

A340
06-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Cool, I learned something from this thread!
I didn't realise that some tanks will be drilled for a sump!!!
If you ever see a fish tank that has a big black thing that looks like a box against the back of the tank or off to the corner, that is an overflow, basically, that's where the tank has been drilled and hides all the tubing for the sump or canister filter. Basically, your fliter tubes and pipes come from directly underneath your tank into the overflow. It hides everything very nicely.

To me, it looks like a 55g by the way the canopy looks, but hard to say to be exact.

As other's mentioned, a fish tank is a tank, it's only saltwater or freshwater because you make it that way by adding salt, live rock, and such for a saltwater.

Nick_Pavlovski
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Oh, OK!
I think the ones I've usually seen haven't been drilled, instead they have an extra pipe for intake...

Pats2006
06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I went and got the tank. It looks like its a 49 gallon 48x12 1/2x19 1/2

what was in the boxes:

Filter Regent Aqua-Tech 20-40
Aqua Clear Mini
Penguin Bio-Wheel 330 Power Filter
Aqua-Tech 5-15 Power Filter
Penn Plax Sub Set 300 watt
Hi-Tech Pump-380 30-80gallon
Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump (Aquaculture)
Aquarium Heater 50 watt
(2) Penguin 660 Power Head 170 GPH
Wardley Master Professional Water Test Lab
(5) Power-Glow 15watts
Bag of Salt

There’s a box with a ton of chemicals like ammonia, also assorted fish food, fake coral and cleaning stuff.

The tank and supplies are in it fair condition. All this for $200. I think I got a good deal.

My last question. Is how much is it to run a salt water tank a month? For now I am thinking of just having a fish only tank with sand and fake coral or somthing like that because I am a biginner and all.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Pats2006
06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I have been looking on this form to see if you have a section where you guys post pictures of your tanks but I can find it. Am I not looking hard or is there no form?

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
49g? thats a odd size!

saltwater costs are often the initial blow. the lights, protein skimmer, substrate, sea salt, and sometimes the LR need to be bought at the start. after that, its smooth running. in the first month my 33g with everything tank included and stand set me back about 800$, and now its about 50$ a month for salt and food.

tank pictures are a sticky in the chatterbox