PDA

View Full Version : I Am Not Happy with Petco's Black Gravel

AdrienDeLaChicago
10-03-2010, 06:35 AM
For those of you that know me on here I whined and moaned about Petco's bookshelf aquarium. The plastic became milky and the quality was not acceptable.

So I upgraded to 10 gallon tanks. Thankfully they took them back. And this time I decided to buy black gravel. Well, I purchased Petco's black gravel (because they only carry their own brand) and apparently it is dyed. The dye is coming off and the color of the gravel underneath is white and some pieces here and there are bright orange!

I am exhausted after having to change out !!SIX!! tanks and redo everything and now only two weeks later the color of the gravel is fading! I got into this hobby to have fun. But this is like a curse. I am going back to Petco and going to ask them for a credit for their gravel.

What irritates me about all of this is that I laid a layer of fluorite and black sand underneath so that all my live plants will have better rooting. Now I have to separate Petco's gravel from the fluorite and sand AND remove and replant my plants again.

Interestingly, the bookshelf aquariums AND this black gravel are Petco's brand products. Apparently their products are not made to last. I will only buy name brand products and the occasional aquatic plant from Petco. They may think I am out there to be a pain in their butts but imagine how I feel over all of this.

I decided to post this in the attempt to spare someone else from experiencing what I went through. I think what I should have done was purchased "epoxy coated" black gravel. I cannot believe that this gravel is losing its color in two weeks.

Unbelievable...

Adrien

korith
10-03-2010, 06:41 AM
I decided to post this in the attempt to spare someone else from experiencing what I went through. I think what I should have done was purchased "epoxy coated" black gravel. I cannot believe that this gravel is losing its color in two weeks.

Unbelievable...

Adrien

I had a similar experience with the 'black' gravel from petsmart about 2 years ago, it was white underneath. I think you should call around the local landscaping stores, and try for a natural gravel and see what you can find.

MCHRKiller
10-03-2010, 07:32 AM
I would probably just buy a couple bags of flourite and be done with it, its not really any more pricy than a quality black gravel.

AdrienDeLaChicago
10-03-2010, 07:50 AM
I would probably just buy a couple bags of flourite and be done with it, its not really any more pricy than a quality black gravel.

Actually the fluorite I purchased was $30 a bag which is double than the 25lb bag of gravel. I would have gone with the fluorite from the get go but it was cost prohibitive for me. That is why I mixed it with cheaper gravel. If I can find a cheaper source I will go with it.

AdrienDeLaChicago
10-03-2010, 07:51 AM
The black sand I purchased was actually Eco-Complete in black. It was on sale at Petco for !!$4.99!! a bag on clearance reduced from $19 or more. I bought the only two bags they had in stock and it was the only Petco in my city that was offering them on a clearance sale. I would have gone with that also had they had more bags.

HeatherB
10-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe you can get a rain check on Eco Complete??

I had that problem with Petco's gravel too. After a while they black came off and showed like, hot pink and stuff. Like they took whatever gravel was left over and just threw black paint on it.

I prefer Petsmart over Petco for selection of fish products. Seems they have more stuff, Petco is better IMO for bettas- they offer so many varieties. Petco seems better at knowledge of fish, while Petsmart is better with just plain customer service. I also think Petco is a little on the pricier side, they don't seem to have as many sales/good deals like you can find at Petsmart.

WhiteDevil
10-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Just boycott petco all together, I cant give them money even for dry goods for any of my pets.
petcos store brand gravel is painted crushed white marble rock.

i feel if they cant take care of their feeder tanks let alone the tropical tanks they dont need my money.

where are you located at? if you are in chicago i got a helluva spot for you to order from, they are located in skokie and are 40-70% CHEAPER then chicago LFS prices(think old world pricing and slash it)
www.aquariumpros.com

you pay fedex ground prices for overnight delivery in the chicago metro area.

AdrienDeLaChicago
10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey, WhiteDevil. Thanks for the recommendation. I do live in Chicago and Skokie is not too far from me. Maybe I should just go visit there location if they actually have a store to browse in.

Much appreciated. :22:

Adrien