PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp & guppies

Tes
06-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi,
I'm totally new to aquariums and water gardening. My water garden started with just plants and some how my 3 year old talked me into getting fish, I got guppies. I had the first water garden at my campsite, in Jackson NJ. After returning from the week at home, I found we had fry...I took them home to my water garden at the house. Then I found myself very interested into these little guys. Well, it's all history now. Some how I found ghost shrimp and was told they are good algea eaters, so I bought them my water garden at home is filled with allgea well after doing more research I found they really aren't and they will eat my fry, I don't want that. They are just too cute. Now I'm in between a rock and a "shrimp" (ok I know it was corny). They will be arriving this week so I have to think of something fast. Any suggestions?

bscman
06-19-2007, 06:07 PM
If you keep your fish/shrimp fed, in my experiences, they are a lot LESS likely to eat the fry.

Personally, I leave all my livebearer fry in with the parents/others...because livebearers multiply like mad. If you try and save every single one, you'll be over-run in no time. By leaving the fry in with the adults, I'll usually still grow out 20-50% of the fry (the don't ALL get eaten if you have hiding places, and keep the bigger fish fed).

Realize, that once a femal guppy is impregnated it can have SEVERAL batches of fry over the coming months, as they hold sperm. So now that you've got some fry, they'll just keep on coming (nothing you can do about it). Unless you have room for hundreds of fry (and are able to separate males from femals before they become impregnated) it's best to just leave them be and let nature "thin the herd" so to speak.

I've seen ghost shrimp reach out and grab fry and eat them, but it's not a super common occurance. Like I said, I'd just leave them be...you'll get more fry soon

Drumachine09
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Also, to add to the above post, some ghostshrimp will also nip fins.

You should get cherry shrimp instead. The higher the temperature, the more agitated the ghost shrimp become. A tank full of them at 78-80 degrees is like a glass box of carnage.

Tes
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was talked into the shrimp, now I think I'm a little worried about the guppies. I totally agree with letting nature takes its course, there's a reason for it, I'm sure. But what to do with the shrimp? Also, some one told me clams were good for algae, but I was also told that about the shrimp. :rolleyes: I'm thinking I should just stick with what I know, algae eating cat fish. Thanks again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.