PDA

View Full Version : Saving my Swords?

gburg
08-10-2010, 04:27 AM
I just wanted to know if there is any chance that my Amazon Sword will grow big and healthy. It is the first plant I ever bought(From a PetCo tube, since it was the only LFS that I knew)...

Right now I have it in a 10 gallon with Eco Complete. My lightning is 1.5 w/g. The sword is very tiny, and it came with a "baby". It is probably not longer than 6" and I tought that was ok, but it has been like that for at least 3 months, and I was told that A. Swords were quick growers. The "baby" one is the same size for 3 months too. Not more than 2". I feel bad when I go to other LFS and see those amazingly big and green leaves.

Other plant I'm having issues with is the Pygmy Chain Sword. It is not really growing, not forming a carpet... The leaves are starting to get some kind of dark green algae.

I dosed Flourish for the first time one month ago or so. Now I got a root tab under the Pygmy Chain Sword.

What can I do?

If you need more info, just ask.

Lady Hobbs
08-10-2010, 04:38 AM
I don't grow swords as well as I should, either. They are iron hogs. Get some plant tabs and stick a couple around the roots. That's aquarium plant tabs, not houseplant tabs. And do not plant it too deep.

kennedpa
08-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Swords...just love em.... Mine are now growing out through the surface of the water which is 24 inches deep :-) I had these swords in my smaller tank originally. When I set the new tank up I noticed they started growing within two weeks. The diff, more lighting... running 6 x 4-w t8's 10hrs a day. Once I added the Co2...bang they started producing 2 or 3 leafs a week and 24+ inches tall. I am now clipping the new growth off in order to reduce the size of the plants.

One must do with swords, prior to planting chop 1/3 of the root system away. This encourages growth and ensure a good root system. Have a look at the pic of my tank from last months TOTM... that pic was taken August last year.

kennedpa
08-11-2010, 05:15 AM
I just took a quick shot of my swords

CGY_Betta_Guy
08-11-2010, 05:16 AM
I agree with kennedpa... CO2, root tabs and decent lighting will get those swords going. Like him, my swords are growing through the surface of my tank which is 19" and constantly give me plantlet offshoots with 1.45 WPG so I think you should be ok there.

Be careful what you wish for as it gets to be too much really... any time I trim my swords down my garbage is full with leaves.

PS... I thought I recognized his name.... I was in the TOTM for July too! thumbs2:

kennedpa
08-11-2010, 05:22 AM
LOL thumbs2:

Glad to hear I am not the only one that cuts and throws a few dozen leaves out each week.

gburg
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Ok... So it won't grow well in 1.5w/g lightning?

I will try putting the root tabs underneath the sword, and I'll take a look at the DIY CO2 too!

I imagine they grow big, but if I could show you how mine is right now, you will be sad. It's really tiny and pale, doesn't even look like a sword.

CGY_Betta_Guy
08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
In my opinion you should be fine with the lighting you have... like I said I am at 1.45 WPG and my swords grow fine. Is it like one bulb in your 10 gallon tank? Try planting your sword directly underneath it.

I dose fertilizers/root tabs and CO2 which makes a big difference. Investigate doing a DIY Co2 setup... its cheap and does the job pretty well or you can look into buying Fluorish Excel which is a carbon alternative for planted tanks. Its a bit pricey though.

dozerd8
01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
How do you trim amazon sword do you cut the leaves or the whole stem.

flydustydawg
01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Check these tabs out. They are a pretty good deal. Cheeper than the ones at my LFS. They work great too. I havent been using them that long, but a friend of mine has been using them for a while. He has had very good results. I have noticed an improvement as well.

http://rootmedic.net/products-page/dry-nutrients/1-rm-complete/

They had a deal going for a wile 50 tabs for like $18 shipped. I dont know if that is still going on or not.

vegas2k
01-28-2011, 08:50 PM
my Peacocks pulled yanked and destroyed my amazon sword. I moved it to my little community tank, cut off the dead leaves, and it's now sprouting little new leaves. All I give it is the liquid plant fertilizer from API every week or 2. I'm sure it can do much better, but as longas it's growing and staying green...for now..I'll leave it be lol