PDA

View Full Version : Barbs

zackish
06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
What type of fish are barbs? Hiding? Swim around the tank? Are they top,bottom, or middle dwellers?
I was looking at the barbs today at the pet store and I really like them. I have a 30 g and was thinking about doing 5-7 tiger barbs, 5-7 green tigers, 5-7 rose barbs or instead of one of those groups maybe a few tinfoil barbs.

Severus
06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Barbs should always be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6 so i am glad to see you interested in get a bunch of them. They are semi-aggressive and having them in a group will divert their aggression mainly towards their own species. My red glass barbs are literally all over the tank. I hope you meant only ONE of those groups in your 30 gallon. Barbs get about 3" and that is not including other tankmates in your 30 gal. Tinfoil barbs will not fit in anything less than a 55 MINIMUM being as they get about 10".

troy
06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Tiger barbs are known fin nippers so, think twice before buying them.

zackish
06-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Barbs should always be kept in groups of at least 5 or 6 so i am glad to see you interested in get a bunch of them. They are semi-aggressive and having them in a group will divert their aggression mainly towards their own species. My red glass barbs are literally all over the tank. I hope you meant only ONE of those groups in your 30 gallon. Barbs get about 3" and that is not including other tankmates in your 30 gal. Tinfoil barbs will not fit in anything less than a 55 MINIMUM being as they get about 10".

What do you mean other tank mates, what goes well with barbs?

El Gruper
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I have 5 cherry barbs with a couple platys and a pleco. The cherry's are supposed to be the least aggressive of the barbs from what I've read and they are really pretty and fun to watch. Lots of people say variations on where they live in the tank but in general mine take to the whole mid-bottom and dart around having a good time.

I've included an attachment where I caught all five together being cute...lol

troy
06-28-2007, 02:59 AM
I've wanted to get cherry barbs, but I only have an already stocked 5 gallon for tropical fish.

bscman
06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Definitely do not get that many barbs. One group of tigers or one group of greens....no more. No tinfoil barbs in a 30g.

They can be semi-aggressive, and will nip slower moving fish with large fins. Keeping them in larger groups helps keep them busy, and un-interested in other fish...so that's a good idea. If you plan to stock with other fish, buy fast swimmers at least 2" in length...this way they have a chance :ezpi_wink1:

They are great, active fish...my tigers spend most of their time in the middle/lower area of the tank as well....they do feed from the surface along with my tetras.

tropfish
06-29-2007, 05:33 PM
yea there good fish to have. MY tigers add alot of movement to the tank. I have them with buenos aires tetras and that works really well because they don't bother eachother at all. you could also keep them with gouramis and other tetras.

troy
06-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Mixing tiger barbs and gouramis isn't a good decision.

tropfish
06-29-2007, 08:20 PM
well i justh ave one gourami and four barbs plus other. Theyve been together with no problems , i think because the honey gourami is 2 years old and fully grown that they don't bother it becuase their pretty small.

gm72
06-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Got to agree that in general gouramis and barbs probably will not do well together. Once your barbs get bigger they are most likely going to destroy that dwarf. Of course, YMMV.

tropfish
06-30-2007, 12:53 AM
what does ymmv mean? lol

gm72
06-30-2007, 01:05 AM
YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary

troy
06-30-2007, 01:51 AM
I just meant that mixing fish you shouldn't doesn't always have a happy ending.

gm72
06-30-2007, 02:45 AM
That's precisely what I said, but just ask cocoa about things that technically shouldn't go along well together or things that don't usually happen in an aquarium and you'll see why saying YMMV is invaluable.

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 03:39 AM
lol, i honestly have some of the most RETARDED fish on the planet. im extremely lucky, heres a few stories-

-2 rainbow sharks in the same tank, NO fighting, and they are breeding!
-used to have a 7" feeder goldfish in my old 33g that was with tropical fish
in the same 33g
- i even had a baby oscar that wouldnt even eat the neons that were in the tank. it was the oddest 33g of mine that ive ever seen
- my auratus is evil and needs a SERIOUS exorcism. you cannot go close to the tank without him leaping in the air going after your finger
- my previous severum was housed in a 33 with a small clown knife, and i thought the clown would kill the severum. the severum killed the clown!
- in the same old 33g with the oscar and goldfish, i had a wild caught angel that would not harm a fly
-in yet the same 33g, i had 2 large puffers that too would not harm other fish.
-in the SAME 33g, the african butterfly, clawed albino frog, and albino tinfoil barb would literally punch and kick eachother for crickets

gm72
07-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Twisted. Cocoa, you are just twisted. Your fish are insane. Your tanks are awesome. KEEP IT UP!!! :thumb: