PDA

View Full Version : Channel cats

ScootersPet
06-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a pair in my outdoor pond. They laid a boatload of eggs and when examining a group of them, i discovered they are fertile (i can see the babies in the eggs) I plan on hatching them. My problem is..i dont know what to feed them when they hatch. I previously hatched a clutch of angelfish and fed them Baby Brine Shrimp, will the baby cats eat this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Amber

Drumachine09
06-06-2007, 09:16 PM
How big are the parents, and how big is the pond?

ScootersPet
06-06-2007, 09:23 PM
The parents are 8-10 inches long, and the pond is 460 gallons with a waterfall.

Drumachine09
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
..... I WANT THAT POND!!!!!!

I would try egg yolk.

Sasquatch
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Brine shrimp should be fine.

How big are the eggs? It'll give you an idea of how big the fry will be once they hatch.

Depending on how fast they grow and what you raise them in, you should be able to switch to finely crushed flake food. Mix in some baby brine shrimp at first so they learn that the flakes are food too.

ScootersPet
06-07-2007, 07:37 AM
I moved a few to an aquarium in the house (maybe 100 eggs) since around 5 pm, 2 have hatched out. I figure they will last about 24-48 hours on their yolks, so ill start brine shrimp tomarrow afternoon-early evening. The egg size is about the size of a piece of unground black pepper, or the size of a small(baby size) cichlid pellet (for oscars) since this is a fish forum LOL

The pond is great, it is the keeping it clean that is horrible. even with 3/4 of it shaded, it turns green in no time flat. So I have to do 50-75% water changes at least every other week. The catfish don't seem to mind though, as long as their "homes" dont get moved.
One of them will actually come up and eat out of my hand, not sure which one LOL Their names were thelma and louise, I guess ill have to change that now, eh?

Thanks for the help!! Ill try everything mentioned and see what works best.

I'll keep yall updated :D

Sasquatch
06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Try to keep an eye on the eggs. Once you can see the eyes, they should be OK, but if any of them turn white, pluck them out ASAP. It's a fungus and it'll spread like wildfire if you leave it alone.

ScootersPet
06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Yep, they have eyes! :)

there were 3 white ones in the group that I brought in the house, I sucked them out with a turkey baster.

Thanks

ScootersPet
06-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Well, i have about 300-350 little catfish swimming around in a tank, they sill have their yolk sac, and should have it for another 2-3 days (according to a breeder article). They are turning their darker blueish color already nd seem to be doing ok.

I have a DIY sponge filter along with another air-stone to keep them oxygenated. Bare bottom 5 gallon tank untill the grow a bit. once they begin to eat and grow i will be moving them into a 29 gallon with some baby angels and baby swordtails.

Drumachine09
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
DO NOT put them with angels. Angels will eat the babies.

ScootersPet
06-11-2007, 02:01 AM
the angels are not even dime size yet, they dont bother my cherry shrimp so i figure they will be ok with the cats. Ill try a few first just to see, if not i will give the angels to the local FS early so the cats can have the tank.
Angels should be layin here in a day or two, so ill need the 5 gal for that clutch of fry, momma is cleaning the slate as i type...

Thanks

Drumachine09
06-11-2007, 03:36 AM
What are you going to do with all of them? Ill skin them when they get big and we can have an AC fish fry!

Algenco
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
What are you going to do with all of them? Ill skin them when they get big and we can have an AC fish fry!

Hey, I can supply the fish!! I probably have 50# of striped bass fillet:hmm3grin2orange:

ScootersPet
06-13-2007, 01:40 AM
LOL
Some of them will be going to my grandfathers house. He has a small stream with a 1000+ gallon natural pond to put them in (probably about 20) then rest....i have no idea lol.

I'll have to see how many live first. They have absorbed their yolk sacks, and are refusing to eat...so i dont know if any will survive....

Any tips on getting them to eat? All they are doing is swimming up in a corner of the tank above the air stone...ive tried brine shrimp, yolk and crushed flakes throughout the day. ahh the angels were so much easier... :/

Algenco
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
LOL
Some of them will be going to my grandfathers house. He has a small stream with a 1000+ gallon natural pond to put them in (probably about 20) then rest....i have no idea lol.

I'll have to see how many live first. They have absorbed their yolk sacks, and are refusing to eat...so i dont know if any will survive....

Any tips on getting them to eat? All they are doing is swimming up in a corner of the tank above the air stone...ive tried brine shrimp, yolk and crushed flakes throughout the day. ahh the angels were so much easier... :/

In the wild they would feed on daphnia, bugs, scuds,etc it will most likely have to be live food.

FWI after the first year channel cats grow at a rate of 3# per year

ScootersPet
07-08-2007, 05:25 AM
These guys are doing wonderful, more than i can say for their parents...
A Crane started hanging around my pond after we did some plant improvements, and other little things. It was there when I got up on tuesday, i went to home depot almost immediatly (after scaring it off) to get some netting to cover the pond, by the time I got back it was gone, but so was my female cat. Covered the pond with net. Yesterday my male cat had some fungus growing on a scratch from the bird (im assuming) Treated the water, but he died overnight. Im extremly upset about it, and still cannot believe it.

The babies are about an inch long now, eating readily. I sold my angelfish babies so i could move them into the 29 gal. They like to dig in the sand. I'm thinking about keeping a few (maybe 4-6) for my pond, until they grow and i can get a look at the sizes and color (some are grey, others are a muddy dark brown, and others black) then pick my "pair" out of those.
I'm going to talk to the rangers at the park near me to see if they know anyone who would be interested in some of them...but i have about 100 of them so im going to have to find someone...

Drumachine09
07-08-2007, 05:32 AM
These guys are doing wonderful, more than i can say for their parents...
A Crane started hanging around my pond after we did some plant improvements, and other little things. It was there when I got up on tuesday, i went to home depot almost immediatly (after scaring it off) to get some netting to cover the pond, by the time I got back it was gone, but so was my female cat. Covered the pond with net. Yesterday my male cat had some fungus growing on a scratch from the bird (im assuming) Treated the water, but he died overnight. Im extremly upset about it, and still cannot believe it.

The babies are about an inch long now, eating readily. I sold my angelfish babies so i could move them into the 29 gal. They like to dig in the sand. I'm thinking about keeping a few (maybe 4-6) for my pond, until they grow and i can get a look at the sizes and color (some are grey, others are a muddy dark brown, and others black) then pick my "pair" out of those.
I'm going to talk to the rangers at the park near me to see if they know anyone who would be interested in some of them...but i have about 100 of them so im going to have to find someone...

Well, at least the babies are doing well.

Try asking local farmers (not sure where you live, or if you live near farmers) if they want some for their pond.

ScootersPet
03-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Just an update :D

I got rid of all of them(most of them), the local feed store (we are friends with the owner) has a huge duck pond and most went there, as well as my Grandfathers pond. I have two here, and my cousin has 3 in her 55 gallon.

The biggest is about 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide (up and down) Big sucker! and the other is about 4 inches long. They began eating my tetra's and the larger of the two was removed from my big tank.

Thats it :D

Smertrios
04-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Did you get a new pair to spawn?