PDA

View Full Version : channel cat

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 01:19 AM
hello i am new to the forum so i hope that this is the place to post this. i have a couple of questions about my channel cat that i bought about 3 months ago now. first off a little back ground, i have 6 that i got from a pet store in a 55 gallon tank with 2 silver dollars and an angel fish and 2 little oscars. i got them in 2 different sets from the same store the first time i got 4 and then a few days or so later i got 2 more. i have 2 "caves" and several large plants for them to hide in and around. they eat a diet of shrimp pellets and tropical fish flakes. they seem to be doing very well. however all of them but 1 is at least doubled in size. so my question is why is the one not growing. i can try and post some pic of them if i can get some that aren't too blurry. (and if i figure out how :ssmile: ) thank you for your time.

Brhino
07-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Channel catfish? Oh my goodness, do you realize how big those get? 3 feet long, maybe more. You need a pond or a ridiculously large tank to successfully keep a fish that size. The one that's not growing is probably stunted due to the lack of space.

How big are they all right now? How big are the oscars? Two oscars in a 55 gallon is probably not going to work out in the long term either.

Lab_Rat
07-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Like Brhino said, they need more space than a 55g, such as a channel or pond. They are not suitable for most aquariums. About the only thing suitable for a 55g in your stocking list is the angel. The oscars will need a larger tank too, since they can hit 14" which is longer than the tank is deep.

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 03:09 AM
yes i know how big they will get. when they out grow the tank then i have a pond that they can go in but right now they have plenty of room. the biggest 5 are bout 4-5 inches long and the 2 oscars are about 2-3 inches. i am trying to up load some pics of them. although they are not great as nothing wanted to hold still. i will post them when they are done

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 03:43 AM
little "cave" and big plant with oscar and silver dollar
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_769.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=769.jpg)

little cat
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_784.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=784.jpg)

big cat
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_782.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=782.jpg)

big "cave"
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_771.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=771.jpg)

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 03:55 AM
little cat
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_785.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=785.jpg)

whole tank
http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/th_759.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu107/dragonsgirl69/fish%20tank/?action=view&current=759.jpg)

you should be able to click on the pictures to make them bigger if you need to. and i hope that they give you some idea as to how much small the little one is to all the others

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 03:59 AM
What are your perameters?
Is that one fish not eating?It has a lot of competition.

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 04:07 AM
what do you mean by perameters? the size of the tank? its 12.5" wide 21" high and 48" long from edges to edges and that fish eats just fine i spread the food out and give enough that all of the fish eat what they want. and i keep the ph at or around 7

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 05:03 AM
I suggest you give the ebook a read.Its got a lot of valuable info in it you may find helpful.There is a link in my sig or in the menu on the left.
Do you have test kits for ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates?
How did you cycle the tank?What filters do you have on the tank?
How big ids the pond?

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
yes i have test kits and i have the stuff to level every thing out but i have only had to use it once when the ph was a little high. (about 7.2) and i am not sure what you are referring to when you ask about how i cycle the tank. about every 2-3 weeks we add a couple gallons of bottled drinking water to it as the water level drops. as for our filters we have 2 that fit on the back of the tank, one for a 30-60 gallon tank and the other one is for a 20-40 gallon tank. we also have and underground filter that just has a circulation pump in it to help circulate the water off the bottom.

Brhino
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
so, you never actually remove water from the tank? You just replace water lost to evaporation?

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
The ebook I mentioned before will tell you how an aquarium works.Please give it a read.You can find it in my sig below or in the menu on the left.

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
no we don't remove any water

Brhino
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
that's a serious problem for a variety of reasons. Check out the ebook.

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Is your pond filtered?
How big is it?

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
my pond isn't filtered other than the over flow creek that runs through it and it is about an acre or so maybe a little bigger. and i have had fish tanks for a while and have never had an issue with any of my tanks. i have no problem reading through the ebook and i probably will but i have a good clean tank and i don't think that the problem is with my tank as all of my fish are healthy. just the one cat is growing much slower than the others. i am just asking why he/she is growing at a much slower rate than the other. it is thriving just the same as all the rest. when i feed, it gets just as big sometimes bigger of a belly on it as all the rest. most of the time after it eats it looks like it prego and its about to explode. i just wondered if gender was playing a role in its growth, males grow slower or females grow slower. or if it is even possible that it isn't a true channel cat although it looks just like the others.

smaug
07-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm not one to tiptoe so I wont do it now either.The channel cat has no business in your improperly taken care of tank.The others have been very patient with you about this for sure.Water must be removed to do a water change correctly,if you are not doing this then you are not humanely keeping your fish.It does sound like you have a nice pond,do the cats a favor and put them in there now while they are still healthy.I bought a 3" channel cat last year for my pond,exactly one year later he was over 15".That is proper growth for a well kept channel cat,any growth less then that is because it was not properly kept.We are a community of fish keepers that take the hobby very seriously here.A warm welcome can be expected from those who share the same attitude.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
No one is trying to give you a bad time here but your stocking left us pretty much dismayed. And on top of that, no knowledge about cycling a tank or doing water changes. People here try to do the best for their fish and seeing them kept in this manner tends to get feathers ruffled.

The internet is there for anyone seeking information and you really should have done some research on how to even keep a fish tank, what fish would be right for your size tank and how a tank is properly maintained.

As already stated numerous times, the channel cats have to go and so do those oscars unless you can give them a larger tank. A 55 may look like a large tank but it is not compared to the fish you have. Angels do not belong with Oscars, either, and will eventually become lunch.

I honestly would return fish and start over but this time do your research.

Water should be changed weekly......at least 30-40% of it. I do 50-60% without fail. Fish living in stale water is like you trying to always breathe stale air. You need to replace the nutrients that is in water and renew the oxygen in the water. A cat box gets cleaned when it's dirty just like fish need their enviroment clean.

You are obviously a beginner and would have yourself a nice tank if it was properly stocked with fish FOR beginners. And stocked correctly.

You spent all that money for those fake decorations and I bet you never bought a test kit to check your water. Fake decorations are not necessary but test kits, water changes, dechlorinator and a few other things are a matter of life and death.

dragonsgirl
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
so that is about an inch of growth a month, ok well in the 2-3 months that i have had mine they have over doubled in size so i would say that they are all right on tract as they were about 1 -1.5 inches when i got them and now they are 4-5 so that tells me that their living conditions are not that bad. only one is growing at a slower rate and even it has grown a lot as it is about 2-2.5 inches. if my tank had just poor living conditions as you say it does i would not have healthy active fish. according to my test that i just got done running my tank has 0 ammonia and is at a perfect 7.0 ph (and i haven't done anything to it) which is the ideal tank. but according to you it must not be as i don't seem to know what i am doing and my fish have such poor living conditions. but i am starting to believe that you really don't know much about channels as you say you do as you have totally ignored my question and continued to bash me on things that clearly are not a problem because if it was the problem all of my fish would be affected the same not just 1 out of 11. thank you however to northernguy for attempting to answer my question, and for referring me to the ebook to learn the terminology that you were referring to.

smaug
07-12-2010, 11:55 PM
I dont have to defend my knowledge of fish to you:ssmile: My method of fish keeping is not in question.Just because you have not had issues yet,,,,with your way,does by no means mean you wont.I can guarantee that you will.It is you that is ignoring the facts.You have argued or brushed away earlier advice in this thread with the common excuse that you have a "clean" tank.Quite simply,,it cant be all that clean if you arent doing water changes or gravel vacs.What type water tests are you using and how do you "keep your ph at 7.0"?Its ok to be inexperianced,but please when you ask for advice be ready to accept it.As for the cats being ok for now,that is exactly all they are,ok for now.Not to mention the oscars,the angel or the SD.

dragonsgirl
07-13-2010, 12:51 AM
i am not inexperienced or a beginner i have had fish for years and have always done my tanks the same way. the tank i have now i bought as an established tank with the angel and the sd in it already. and i fully understand that the cats and oscars will out grow my tank. i got the oscars because i expected the angel and the sd to die within a week of getting my tank from the stress of the move and they are over 3 years old. and in my experiences angels don't do well in my area. however this one has got me surprised. and the cats i got to grow big enough to release into the pond or eat. and as stated earlier i do have test kits and the proper chemicals to treat the water if needed. i have the kind that you put the water in the tube and add drops to it. the only time i have changed the water was when we first got the tank and that was because i was only able to haul half of the water that was originally in the tank to start with, and that has been the only time i needed to add anything to my water to level out the ph. lady hobbs i am not sure where you are from that you need to change the water that much to keep things level but from where i am from the best thing to do for your tank is to leave it alone. for example my aunt who is a beginner in fish changed any where from 20-50% of the water in her tank about every week to 2 weeks. and her water is always cloudy and murky and stinks and she has a hard time keeping her fish alive. she is constantly putting stuff in her water to level it out. she couldn't even keep a placo alive in a tank full of algae. and once she started to leave it alone then it started to clear up and her fish stopped dieing. i keep my tank ph at 7.0 by leaving it alone i just add bottled drinking water as needed every couple of weeks and change the filters as needed. and my water is crystal clear and my tank doesn't have the fishy oder that a lot of tanks do.

KatzeSlaugen
07-13-2010, 03:19 AM
Do you test for nitrates because with that bio load you willl be surprised by how high they are and they are toxic to fish. You shouldn't eat the cats when they're big enough chemicals used in the water are very dangerous which is why most meds ferts and even some dechlorinator bottles say not for human consumption . Just because your tank looks healthy it does not mean it is. I'm not one to be abrupt with situations but your ignorance to your fishes health offends me a great deal. Everyone on here isn't trying to offend you or attack you were trying to save your fishes life longterm .
Short story is all the growth hormones your fish are releasing will stunt your fishes growth , shorten their life , and the toxic levels of nitrate from your lack of weekly water changes will finish them off.

Also sorry for the block text everyone I wrote this from my phone

tori.lock
07-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Because people have already been more than patient and kind to you, I'm going to spell it out nice and easy for you to understand.

Having had fish tanks for years does not mean you know what you're doing. How long you've been in the hoby, while helpful, doesn't actually mean anything. If you don't understand some basic knowledge, (which it is more than obvious that you lack) you are not an INFORMED fish keeper. I admit that I am new to the hobby, less than a year, and still have a lot to learn, but I'm willing to admit this and willing to learn. The key to this hobby is learning from other's mistakes and taking advice.

How do I know you're not a well informed hobbiest? Let me list them.
1. You asked what they meant by "water parameters." That should be one of the first things you learn. It's not a bad thing if I don't know what they are, but you need to recognize that lacking this key piece of information makes you, no matter how many years you've had water in glass containers, a beginner.

2. Your stock. That is the stocking of a person that doesn't know a thing about fish, went to a LFS and said "Oh that ones cute... and look at that one! And I want some of those!" without considering how big the fish will get, what they can live with, what water quality they need, etc.

3. You think it's okay to not change the water. I'm sorry... but what the Hell? Pardon sounding harsh, but I don't understand this at all. I hate to be rude, but I honestly cannot comprehend how you think that it is okay to have stock like that and just add some water to the tank every few weeks. The fact a disaster hasn't happened is a miracle. As for the ammonia level, I'll assume you're using test strips, not liquid tests, and I can tell you that reading is inaccurate. That many predatory fish in a tank that NEVER has any water removed, no matter how good the filtration, is going to have an ammonia buildup. If you refuse to change the water, get out of the hobby, now. It's not fair to the fish, it's going to be a waste of money and time for you. Right now those are not animals that you care about and want to have the best that they can have. They are not your responsibility. They are something cool and pretty for you to look at. If you want something pretty to look at, get an aquarium screen saver.

I will say all of this comfortably, because I know that while members here might not agree with HOW I've said it, I know they will agree with what I've said.

My advice:
1. Change the water. At least 80%.
2. Return your current stock.

gm72
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Agreed with all of the posts before me. This tank will crash and the fish are in deplorable conditions. You are dealing with thousands of members with vastly more experience than you.

Without changing water it is a biological fact that the nitrates and other potential toxins that are a result of fish living in the tank will build up to levels that will harm and eventually kill the fish, particularly species such as you are keeping. Biological FACT. Your current practice of not performing water changes and hoping/expecting that everything will be alright would be akin to me placing you in an airtight container with no air supply and expecting that you'll be just fine. You wouldn't.

To the original poster, please feel free to take this question to any fish forum you can find on the internet and you will get precisely the same answers as you are getting here.

You are violating the most basic of principles of fish keeping and we are appalled. If you are unable or unwilling to take the advice being given to you please don't post because we just can't tolerate inappropriate fish keeping. Thanks.

Lab_Rat
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
i am not inexperienced or a beginner i have had fish for years and have always done my tanks the same way. the tank i have now i bought as an established tank with the angel and the sd in it already. and i fully understand that the cats and oscars will out grow my tank. i got the oscars because i expected the angel and the sd to die within a week of getting my tank from the stress of the move and they are over 3 years old. and in my experiences angels don't do well in my area. however this one has got me surprised. and the cats i got to grow big enough to release into the pond or eat. and as stated earlier i do have test kits and the proper chemicals to treat the water if needed. i have the kind that you put the water in the tube and add drops to it. the only time i have changed the water was when we first got the tank and that was because i was only able to haul half of the water that was originally in the tank to start with, and that has been the only time i needed to add anything to my water to level out the ph. lady hobbs i am not sure where you are from that you need to change the water that much to keep things level but from where i am from the best thing to do for your tank is to leave it alone. for example my aunt who is a beginner in fish changed any where from 20-50% of the water in her tank about every week to 2 weeks. and her water is always cloudy and murky and stinks and she has a hard time keeping her fish alive. she is constantly putting stuff in her water to level it out. she couldn't even keep a placo alive in a tank full of algae. and once she started to leave it alone then it started to clear up and her fish stopped dieing. i keep my tank ph at 7.0 by leaving it alone i just add bottled drinking water as needed every couple of weeks and change the filters as needed. and my water is crystal clear and my tank doesn't have the fishy oder that a lot of tanks do.
This post makes me :lmao: and :scry: at the same time.